Gettin back into it

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
petew

Re: Gettin back into it

Post by petew »

Great stuff! That's really cool. Are you sorting out some tinware for the engine?
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I grabbed the missing tin while I was there. When I built it 8-9 years ago I didn't think it would work so I wasn't real worried about how the welds and such worked and they are all ugly. I'm going to start collecting parts for fuel injection so I don't know if I will pretty stuff up in the mean time. The header is very crude looking so it all depends if I want to drive it while I gather the parts.
It also looks like there is quite a bit of oil on the bottom of the engine so I will probably power wash the underside and start looking for the leaks. I ran the oil return into the valve cover and I'm not sure that's the best place. I'm wondering if I need to run a vent with a catch or something. I have the stock heater boxes so now that I live in Florida I think I'm just going to run J-tubes too. Seems to me the heater boxes would slow down the air and surely they leak.
petew

Post by petew »

With 9 years of sitting, I'd be checking ALL the pushrod tubes and the case has probably been seeping too.

I've just got J tubes on my motor too. I doesn't get real cold here.
buguy

Post by buguy »

So what if the case was seeping? Will it need split to reseal?
madmike

Post by madmike »

Maybe? I'd drive it for a while ,then check it , heat expands things
madmike

Post by madmike »

If u do pull it ???solid mount that thing ,, she rocks purdy good ,LOL, sounds great 8)
buguy

Post by buguy »

That's because of the massive torque! 8)
madmike

Post by madmike »

Ha,most likely whacked rubber mounts :shock: :lol:
buguy

Post by buguy »

I suppose after 50 years they could go bad.
petew

Post by petew »

madmike wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 6:13 am If u do pull it ???solid mount that thing ,, she rocks purdy good ,LOL, sounds great 8)
I was thinking the same thing!

There are 3 things you can do.
1. Trans straps = very noise in the car. I've got this setup
2. Berg style front mount = stops the gearbox pulling up and doesn't transmit the noise so much.
3. Solid mounts = super noisy in the car.

I'd try a berg mount myself if I could.

Re the weeping case. Most VWs weep a bit. Your's has been sitting a long time and oil finds a way out of most seams. So clean it up, re-torque the case bolt (and lock-tite them). Then see how you go from there.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Thanks I will look at that. I'd rather not have it super noisy. I am going to pull the engine anyway just to clean everything up. Also want to dress some of the welds and blast and paint the header. My turbo is ugly as hell but I really don't think paint would hold up to the heat. Maybe I will look for a good deal on a turbo blanket. Actually now that I think about it, it doesn't have a carbon seal so maybe now would be a good time to just find something else. T25 or something like that.
petew

Post by petew »

Header wrapping and turbo blanket is a good idea in your engine bay. The less heat you have in there the longer the motor will last. I have less of an issue with it under the car.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I will probably be running without a deck lid so that shouldn't be much of a concern. But header wrap is a good idea to conceal my ugly header!
buguy

Post by buguy »

I saw some of those mounts on Geneberg.com, would there be other places that would have them and maybe better prices? I don't want to solid mount it, but maybe more like the stock style HD.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I run HD stock mounts and have a bolt on mid mount under the trans something like this one.

http://www.mooreparts.com/super-transmi ... t-support/

It seems to hold the tranny quite well.
I'm also running a Kafer Bar on the frame horns and shock supports which hold everything in place.

It will keep the wheel hop to a minimum if set up correctly.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.