Cb performance gen 4 efi

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
panel

Re: Cb performance gen 4 efi

Post by panel »

Piledriver.........what you said just there should be made into a "Megasquirt Sticky" !
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Naaa, it's mostly just generic "how to", would probably apply just as well to the CB EFI or anything else.

Sintered down, its how you do ANYTHING remotely complicated.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Hi,

Thank for the reply!

Logic at his best :-)

Guess i will have to learn and read a lot more on efi!
Better to be blown than to suck!
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Remember when I said don't ever, ever even look at the B&G Megamanual?

There's an exception ...that should still be take with a grain of salt for some examples and links, as you won't be running the B&G firmware, unless it comes pre loaded and you have to figure out how to install the boot jumper to flash MSextra on...
(that jumper will probably never be used again, as MSextra doesn't need it once installed)

This covers a lot of the EFI basics, very well... At least you'll know what we are talking about :lol:
http://www.megamanual.com/begintuning.htm

Consider it a EFI 100 primer rather than gospel, especially in the details.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
petew

Post by petew »

Piledriver wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 2:19 amThis covers a lot of the EFI basics, very well... At least you'll know what we are talking about :lol:
http://www.megamanual.com/begintuning.htm
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

The read has started!
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Lets say i understand most of what is described in the megamanual begintuning.

I dont think i would know wich parameter i would have to change in the software of the ecu. Just so much things to keep in mind. Like with the VE... you change this, 2 other values change with it... then adjust those etc etc..

I understand engines but really dont know where to start from scratch.

So maybe for me it would be better to do all the hardware and get the tuning done by someone who knows how to tune an efi and write the maps for fuel, spark....
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

rubenski wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 9:54 am Lets say i understand most of what is described in the megamanual begintuning.

I dont think i would know wich parameter i would have to change in the software of the ecu. Just so much things to keep in mind. Like with the VE... you change this, 2 other values change with it... then adjust those etc etc..

I understand engines but really dont know where to start from scratch.

So maybe for me it would be better to do all the hardware and get the tuning done by someone who knows how to tune an efi and write the maps for fuel, spark....
Where do you think all of us started? I didn't walk into the efi world prepared to tune. I asked a lot of questions, made a lot of mistakes and ultimately learned a lot of lessons. Spend some time reading, but then spend time actually doing. Its not rocket science, its just a lot of little things to learn that make the combo work. You've got this.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

A basic tune isn't too difficult to get set up.
An engine will "run" on just about anything. That doesn't mean it will run really good at first but as long as you can get it started you can start tuning it as you sit and watch it idle.
When setting up your engine and injectors in "basic Settings" you set the parameters for the engine to work off of....IE....engine displacement....# of cylinders.....injector size in cc's/min..... and a host of other things.
Getting the crank trigger setup up correctly is probably the hardest thing to do. Once you have the computer timing matching the strobe light on the crank pulley you are on to easy street.
If You can get a half decent Lambda delay set up, you can let Autotune do the tuning after it is running. Autotune has filters you can set to tune all or just part of the map.
Timing is something to work on....you can first set it like an 009 if you want and then go from there.

Mario is a great source of quality parts and info too. Sometimes spending a little cash is a great way to learn because most of the things in life are never free and either buying parts or buying a block of tuning time in either real life or over an internet connection is worth its weight in gold.

The best 4.5 hrs I spent was having Mario ride with me in my buggy and having him tune it.

I hope to do it again....not that it needs a lot of work but just to get the little things that I don't understand yet and don't have the time or ability to do myself when all I am doing is driving it to work every day.
Mine still runs great as is but there are tweaks that can always be done to make it even better.

My advice is to get a more minimal system at first due to it being simpler. You can always add on to it later. It's cheaper in the beginning and easier to tune.
I found the Ver. 2.2 and MS-1 chip was a very easy EFI to set up and get a great driver.

My second with Ver. 3.0 and and MS-2 has many more options and a little higher learning curve plus I have added almost every option that will fit.

Setting up Electronic boost control, Dual tables, Launch control and a few others is not necessary for a driver but does add to the fun factor once you get it figured out.

MS-3 I'm sure has a host of added tables to play with and learn.......

Start out with wasted spark and N/A Fuel injection.....learn it then add a turbo with 6-7 lbs boost....once that is running good start cranking the boost and add an intercooler with fan....or WI or a water to Air Intercooler with pump, radiator and cooling fan and traction control and boost by gear and and and........ :P :oops: :lol: :shock:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

It's actually pretty straightforward once you try it.
petew

Post by petew »

I second CB's comments re buying a system from Mario. I sorely wish I'd done that to begin with. It would saved me a lot of time and I reckon my setup costs would have been roughly the same. I'm onto my second EFI install, although the first one was a jap engine/ECU install in a tub buggy. I'd never done real tuning before.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Thanks for the replies!

I will take everything in consideration when im at the point of going shopping.
Mario indeed has some nice stuff!
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

right now I am in the process of completing my ms2 board and it is a little much at first but the manual takes you step by step and is fairly easy to do. granted I havnt tested mine yet but the board looks good haha. Im just going to be running everything but fuel to start since im still draw through