2387Turbo Egine (First Turbo)

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
porkchop-rob

2387Turbo Egine (First Turbo)

Post by porkchop-rob »

We are planning a TURBO build for my next engine. Here are the IDEAS that we are tossing around... please chime in with any opinions, words of wisdom, or corrections.

This will be a slow build as finances allow. I just want to have a COMPLETE plan before I begin to search for and purchase parts.

The goal is to be over 200HP and road trip reliable.

Thanks!

CB Aluminum bubble top case
86mm Forged CW Crank - 11/32 Dowels - wedgemated
H-Beam Rods
94mm forged P&C
Total Seal Rings
SL 1 Racing or DRD Cam ???
SL 1 Racing or DRD Lifters ???
Manton Chromoly Pushrods
Pauter 1.4:1 Rockers
Berg lash caps
DRD L7 Heads
Deck Height .04
Compression ~8.5:1
Straight cut cam gears
36HP doghouse shroud - No heat
Full Flow & External oil cooler
Oil Pump / Scavenge pump ???

Water to Air intercooler
Custom Single Throttle Body
Custom center intake section
CB EFI large end castings
Injectors ???
Fuel Pump ????
Fuel Pressure Regulator?
Turbo ???
Wastegate ???
BOV ???

Haltech 750
Flex-Fuel Sensor
Single 4 Post Coil (Batch fire & wasted spark)
Hidden crank wheel from the dub shop
Last edited by porkchop-rob on Tue May 23, 2017 4:27 am, edited 8 times in total.
madmike

Re: 1835 turbo build (first turbo for me)

Post by madmike »

just use the Total seal 2nd ring and Grant top & Bottom rings
Total seal top rings don't hold up
porkchop-rob

Re: 1915 turbo build (help with cam choice pls?)

Post by porkchop-rob »

Anyone willing to make a recommendation on CAM? I have been reading....but i think Im getting MORE confused rather than gaining clarity!!! LOL
panel

Post by panel »

'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
madmike

Post by madmike »

I won't mention names but I know of a Big Name Turbo Guru that only uses FK8's in smaller motors 1776-1915's and the FK10 in the larger bores :wink:
FACT!
porkchop-rob

Post by porkchop-rob »

panel wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 8:15 pm Did you read this post?

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=106178
Still working through it...I got a few pages in last night.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I recommend calling a turbo guy and getting their opinion. I've run a few different cams in my 2276 at this point, always trying to balance drivability and hp. I'm running a Shag creation right now. Runs real good. Makes good power and drives nicely. I recommend him and his services.
panel

Post by panel »

HP out of said displacements?
madmike wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 4:24 am I won't mention names but I know of a Big Name Turbo Guru that only uses FK8's in smaller motors 1776-1915's and the FK10 in the larger bores :wink:
FACT!
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
madmike

Post by madmike »

That's a 'loaded' question :lol: too many variables :roll:
porkchop-rob

Post by porkchop-rob »

I have messaged Shag (SL 1 Racing) on FB and he made the following turbo recommendation: T3/T4 Hybrid Stg2 turbine - .48 air housing - 50 trim compressor.

It looks like I will source a cam and turbo from him for this build.

He did not give me any cam specs. I assume we will revisit that once I am 100% on everything else and ready to order it.
madmike

Post by madmike »

One stop shopping :wink:
Yea Shag hooked me up with a compressor housing and a cpl. 5 bolt turbo flanges, good dealings,Madmike
porkchop-rob

Post by porkchop-rob »

What are the thoughts on rods....H-beam vs I-beam vs stock with ARP hardware?

Is there a need for a scavenger pump on a turbo setup? Is it necessary? Or, will a normal, 30mm pump work sufficiently?
madmike

Post by madmike »

I'm using stock rods in my 1915 :lol:
but if I had H-beams I would of used them for (peace of mind :wink: ) I have them in my 2276(Carrillo's)
What style Header determines if u will need a scavenger pump, The over the alt style no, see my pic turbo drains (minimum size 1/2")
directly into fuel pump block off , 26mm pump will work fine too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Mine is mounted low, zero issues with oil drain. I drain into my 1.5qt sump. 5/8th drain line. Sits almost flat, no oil in intake or exhaust.
slowsixtyduece

Post by slowsixtyduece »

I have a similar setup to the 1915 combo you are building, only its a 2276. Almost the same exact turbo too. It looks like you may already have your mind setup on a cam, but I would suggest a cam that is no more than 300 degrees full duration (~250-255 degrees @ .050") and has as much lift as you are comfortable with. Similar cams would be Engle V-26, Web 86a, even and FK-8 would probably get you there no problem, especially with your 1.4 rockers. The former cams would probably be a bit better on the bottom end but may lack on the top end depending on the resst of your setup. Shag can defintely hook you up, but make sure to get the full cam specs from him and compare with other cams guys have run over the years with their combos.

I currently run an Engle V-26 in my motor and it pulls very very hard with my T3/T4 stg 2 .48 ex housing turbo. It does run out of steam by about 6,000 rpms but this may be due to the "smaller" turbo. However, I intentionally did that because I wanted a torquey street motor that could still pull hard without wearing out parts extremely fast.

Your 200hp goal will also greatly depend on how much boost you are running, gas octane and state of tune. Id imagine you will be able to hit your goal once you have it dialed in.

For wastegate and BOV, I am a big fan of Turbosmart products and currently run them for both BOV and wastegate on my car. Very precise (my wastegate releases exactly at 8lbs currently w/ no boost control) and well made products but also a bit pricey....but at this point in my life, Im tired of buying things twice over.

Fuel pump, most run Bosch 044 or Walbro 255...either should work great.

Why not just buy a bigger crank and make it a stroker from the get go? It sounds like you are already getting the CB case, which is already clearanced for stroker, and you are going to be wedgemating the crank/flywheel ---- why not just spend a few extra bucks and go with a stroker?

I built a 1915 N/A motor before my 2276 turbo and I wish I would have just spent the little extra $$$ to build exactly what I wanted the first time (which in my case was a stroker motor)....

Sounds like you already have a killer combo coming together despite what you choose to do with the crank!