Removing doghouse cooler = improved flow over cylinders?

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
sidemarkers

Removing doghouse cooler = improved flow over cylinders?

Post by sidemarkers »

Hooking up a huge RX-7 front mount oil cooler. Will airflow improve over #3 and #4 by removing the doghouse cooler?
Piledriver

Re: Removing doghouse cooler = improved flow over cylinders?

Post by Piledriver »

With a doghouse housing?
Probably not.
Will likely need to leave a ~stock flow "leak" so as not to disturb the airflow in the housing.
(just like the heater outlets)
I'd put the big one on a thermostat and leave the doghouse in place.
(I have been running a T1 cooler on my T4 for ages now to get decent oil temps...was too low, primarily did it to clear an AC clutch but the temps got better, faster warm up etc)

Saw an interesting setup where someone here used a stock T4/bay bus/914 "heater booster" tstat controlled fan fed to a cooler on a thermostat.(all US spec T4 busses had them with dual outlets, some 914s had them too, with either a single or dual outlet, depending on other options)
Those move a ton of air at decent pressure... Could keep the oil lines short that way too.

You don't want to use the std oil cooler ports to run to the remote or a filter, restrictions likely to result in no oil cooling at all due to how it works, remotes have to be full flow, same for filter.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

...and replacing with a NON-doghouse shroud. I have the RX-7 oil cooler in the rear fender of my type 3 via the full flow route, I will merely be placing it instead in the front.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The doghouse has much more uniform air distribution than a non-DH housing with or without a cooler in place, so backdating it is not an upgrade.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
petew

Post by petew »

Like Piledriver says, the Doghouse is a pretty great system. VW worked really hard to get the motor to cool evenly after issues with a hot No.3 cyl on previous engines. Here's a site that analyzes the flow of it...

http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/cooling.htm

If you do some research into the DTM fanshroud you'll find them having the same sorts of findings. Jake Raby ended up with a type 1 fanshroud, but the gains he got were pretty low up against his type 4 model. This is why only people with really big or stressed motors use the DTM or Porsche fan setups.

My car has a doghouse shroud/cooler and a smallish oil cooler next to the trans with a thermostat. The temp regularly gets over 100degF here and the oil temp is always lowish.