Playtime..1600dp shortblock & sum pocket change.. ideas anyone

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
bug&kadettfan510

Post by bug&kadettfan510 »

New motor build 9n bottom . y tips or ideas would be great..it's a draw thru setup on a stock dp 1600,.. parts are a weber progressive,godspeed t3t4 and a turbo smart waste gate at 7 psi.. mostly scrap parts build.. runs qnd idles pretty good for the most part.. but hesitates and bog sometimes after idLing for awhite.. tip on carb adjustments,timing and anything else u think would help would be very much appreciated... it's my first time messing with a turbo setup.. thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bug&kadettfan510 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
madmike

Re: Tuning help on stock1600,weber progressive,godspeed t3t4 drawthru

Post by madmike »

Never liked the POS Progressives, what's your timing set at? Fuel Pressure? Do you have the fuel regulator 'Boost Referenced'?
FYI: My Weber 40 DOCE w/filter is for sale :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Does it puff black smoke after the hesitation when idling for a while???

Give us a photo down lower parallel with the turbo so we can see the carb to intake connection. If you have an area lower than the turbo intake under the carb you could be getting fuel puddling at low rpm and low airspeeds.

The fuel will fall out of suspension and puddle right below the carb and when you gas it it sucks that raw fuel into the engine and makes it hesitate because it's pig rich.

Fuel can also sometimes puddle in the bottom of the compressor housing for the same reason.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
bug&kadettfan510

K thanks for the info.. it does smoke after its been sitting and maybe alil if it idles for a long time.. I'm running a electric fuel pump and the timing is around 32 degrees .. what should I set it to?...what about jets?? upped the fuel jets to 170 to try and keep it from running too lean... should I install a vacuum advance distributor? Here are a few more pics...
madmike

Post by madmike »

A little puff of smoke on start up is Normal :lol: But , That's too much timing :shock:
either 'Limit' the timing to 24*
or lock it to 24* , No need for Vac dizzy :wink:
panel

Post by panel »

Is the turbo draining back to your oil filler? I'd drain it back to the valve cover. I think the only way to correctly choose the jets is with an O2 sensor. If you can get a WB (wide band) this will help your guess work out a lot.

Love your set up. I had a very similar carb set up briefly but went another route.

Like Mike asked......what is your fuel pressure set to ? And do you have the fuel regulator 'Boost Referenced'?

I also ran mine at 24deg locked mechanically.
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
bug&kadettfan510

Thanks ... yeah I had it draining thru the cap(drilled a hole in it and used a air compressor fitting so I could easily remove it to add oil) but I changed it to the valve cover yesterday.. I don't have a fuel pressure reg at the time.. what one do u recommend? Whats a good psi to run at?? Also I installed a degree pulley yesterday too so I'm gonna set the timing to 24 degrees later today.. what is the best way to keep it at or below 24??.. also any recommendations on a good but inexpensive electronic ignition setup would be great.. well hope you all are have a day..
panel

Post by panel »

These links might help....

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,6028.0.html

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... ?p=6365275

Pertronix makes a good replacement for the pints and condenser etc......do some more research as well.
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
bug&kadettfan510

Came up on a stock 1600 short block in good shape and have alil spending money.. I'm gonna use the weber and t3t4 turbo(what turbo would u suggest for a carburetorated draw thru?..after all atp turbo is just around the corner) I have for now(would lIke to use this gt35 but guess it's to big).. I'm open to ideas / suggestions on piston\barrels,heads,valve train and ignition.. was thinking forged 87x69 pistons and barrels to start... don't want to split the case.. What's parts would build a ideal draw thru turbo street motor from a 1600 short block :D ?? Let's have some fun.. looking forward to hearing what u guys have to say..
buguy

Re: Playtime..1600dp shortblock & sum pocket change.. ideas anyone

Post by buguy »

What size is the turbo you have now?
bug&kadettfan510

On my bug I have a godspeed t3t4(I also have a gt35 copy i got in trade..its up for trade if anyone has a smaller turBo and wants something bigger.). Don't know the wheel sizes in the godspeed.. doesn't start till build till like 3500rpm... it's just about dead.. starting to dump a nice amount of oil into the intake.. well I was putting empi hi performance valve springs on the ugly bug yesterday and the intake valve on cylinder 3 is slightly leaking so i'ma pull the head and check it out.. the forged pistons,barrels and pertronix came today..what coil should I get??? still looking for suggestions on turbos and other bolt ons.. i think i'ma stay 1600 and just run the forged pistons&barrels.. should I shim it to lower the compression or no? How about a good set of 1.25 or 1.4 rocker assembles?? Worth the $150??.. where u at clonebug.. need some help from the guru.. oh aye guess what cylinder I did last when I changed the springs in car.... I know what ur thinking.. and yup your right.. good old number 3.. lesson learned..hahaha.. well hope everyone is having a good day.. and sorry for all the posts asking questions.. Ive found sometimes it best to hear a few opinions before make some decisions.. even if ur dead set on making the wrong one...
bug&kadettfan510

A few pics for your viewing pleasure.. lol.. it wasn't as bad is I thought it was gonna be swapping valve springs with the heads still on.. was a first for me.. felt so wrong but yet so right.. hahaa