1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Wally

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by Wally »

buguy wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:14 am That's why I was thinking maybe water/meth injection would be a smart move. Then I shouldn't have to run race gas. I hope!
W/M injection is always a great idea! With the right meth percentage, you wouldn't have to see much AFR change either :wink:
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I will probably spend some time tonight doing research on some affordable DIY setups. I know very little about it.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Went to the swap meet today looking for a 9b Subaru turbo. No luck. I did score a 390 vacuum secondary carb for $10 though! Kind of crusty looking but seems to move freely. Might throw a rebuild kit on it this weekend and see how she likes it.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Ok. I got the new vacuum secondary 390 cleaned up and rebuilt. I went ahead and boost referenced the power valve while I was in there. The kit came with a 6.5hg" power valve but my engine makes 22.5" of vacuum so really I need to get a 10.5hg" power valve. Have to get one ordered. This carb has the single fuel inlet with side hung floats and a metering plate for the secondaries. I figured I'd start with it this way and I have plenty of extra parts to change to a dual fuel inlet with center hung floats and a metering block that takes jets if I want to later. Only one accelerator pump though.
I haven't decided how I want to route the vacuum to the power valve yet so I didn't install the tube. May just run it to manifold vacuum on the carb base. It's close and already has the port there for it. Easiest way I guess. I started trying to blast it with a make shift soda blaster but it just wasn't enough to get this old carb clean so I threw it in the blast cabinet.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Good job 8) , Now clear coat it :lol:
probably gonna need a 50cc shot on that acc. pump? Maybe? try it with the stock 30cc first :wink:
I would of left all that chock circuit poop off :lol:
buguy

Post by buguy »

I thought about clearing it or maybe painting it to match the car. Kind of want to see if I like it first though. I was thinking it may be nice for drive ability to have the choke, but again I want to try it out. I have 2 other 390's and the 450 that don't have chokes I can use if it becomes a restriction.
I will have to see what the wideband says. Right now I have the black pump cam in it with I think a 34 nozzle.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I'm not having much luck finding a T04-9B turbo so I've been looking at some alternatives. I saw that an 11b seems to be the next size up, and I also read that a 13G would be smaller than my 13T. Anyone have any good info on the 11b or 13G? I don't see much info out there on them.
buguy

Post by buguy »

madmike wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:34 am Good job 8) , Now clear coat it :lol:
probably gonna need a 50cc shot on that acc. pump? Maybe? try it with the stock 30cc first :wink:
I would of left all that chock circuit poop off :lol:
Looks like I may as well pull the choke off. With the way my intake is designed the fast idle and adjuster hits the intake. Makes the choke pretty much useless.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Yea It's purdy much useless :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I probably don't really need it here in Florida, but it might have been nice to have for first start ups. I never needed it when I had the 450 on it but it was surely because it was too rich. No carb should start and run as good as that one did when it was cold. I have this one too but it's mechanical secondary. I will probably try it next just to see how I like it.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Race carb what's the size? Better yet sell that to me :wink: ,it's too big for the 1600 :lol:
I plan on having the chock tower milled off mine too 8)
both my motors start right up with these 4 brl. carbs,just one pump hit the button 8) , sidedraft's not so,, had to pump the $hit out of them to fire up :roll: :lol:
buguy

Post by buguy »

That's just a little 390 cfm. It's one of those NASCAR carbs. They come that way. This one has been worked over by someone too. Some things have epoxy on them. I've read its something the race car guys do. I will be selling all of these carbs sooner or later when I go to the dark side.
I had this carb on there too but I took it off in favor of vacuum secondary. I didn't really even drive with it on there but it did seem to start and idle well after I got the vacuum leak fixed. This is also a 390cfm mechanical secondary.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Hey guys I would like to pull my belt so I can check for leaks at all my connections in the exhaust. Would it be ok to run the car at idle for a couple minutes without the fan so I can feel for leaks?
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Why not use soapy water sprayed at all connections?

If bubbly, you got leaks
Better to be blown than to suck!
buguy

Post by buguy »

Maybe. I figured it would get too hot too fast and give me false readings.