1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

1600 turbo build thread

Post by buguy »

So I noticed I have several new threads on here so I figured I would just start a build thread to keep things all in one place. I have a bunch of stuff on the way so I'm sure I will have plenty of questions and updates coming too.
I built this in 2007 and moved right after I put it together. Didn't bring the car with me. I recently went and picked it up and am trying to get it working better.
Where I am now:
Stock 1600 with HD single valve springs and chromoly pushrods. I don't remember how I did it, but I do remember I had to cut them to length. Probably better take a look at that again.
I bought a turbo from Ebay. It's a t3 from a Saab I think...42/48 50mm.
I made my own intake and I cobbled together a header from an old rusty header I got somewhere along the way. It's not great and want to make a new one from mandrel bends. Exhaust is just a tiny 90* that goes straight out the back. No decklid.
I used a 450cfm Holley with mechanical secondaries. I seem to remember the mains being in the low 50's. No boost reference on the power valve yet. Also I will be ordering a wideband very soon.
So I will be updating as it happens.
Looks like many of my pics are too big to post here. I will try to adjust for that on the rest.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1643138.jpg
buguy

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by buguy »

Oh yeah. I have an update already. I ordered new rear tires Friday and they came in today. I have the car lowered 2 outer splines in the rear. I'm going to move it up one spline once I get my trans mounts. I don't like the camber and I'm going for more of a Cal-look (ish).
I will probably go ahead and mount the new tires tomorrow. We have the machine at work.
It has 165's now and the new ones are 205/65/15's.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1654549.jpg
buguy

Post by buguy »

I have the header, turbo, up-pipe, and intake off to do some repair in the tubing. I'd like to go through the turbo and check it out while its off the car. Any advice on what I should look at/check out?
buguy

Post by buguy »

Got the new tires mounted. I was kind of hoping they were just a bit taller to load up the engine a bit more. Oh well. Here is the 205/65/15 next to the old 165/15.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1656347.jpg
I have to pull the engine and trans tomorrow to put the new Rhino trans mounts in so I didn't put them on yet. Also I had the rear lowered 2 outer splines but I didn't like the camber, so I moved them up to one spline.
Took the heater boxes off to put the j-tubes on as well.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

There isn't much to check on a turbo. Don't pull it apart if you don't have to.
You can check if it is good by just reaching in an wiggling the compressor or turbine wheel. there should be very little play and certainly the wheels should not be able to touch the housings. Also check the wheels for any dings or pieces missing along with signs of wear from rubbing the housing.
A little bit of play is ok.....any touching or wear on the wheels is a good sign the turbo is junk.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Thanks Clone I will have a look in the morning. I got a bit nervous because when I took it off there didn't seem to be any oil in it. I need to confirm oil is even being pumped into it. But it sat for better than a week before pulling it so it could have simply drained it all out.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Sorry I still haven't had much time to work out how to get my 450,000 megapixel phone camera to dial it back enough to post pics here. Guess I will just have to start posting them to my photo bucket so I don't have to link them. But until then, I got my engine out and the new CB Rhino trans mounts in. The old ones were pretty funky. I should point out in case anyone reads this down the road, my existing bolts were too short to work with the Rhino mounts so I put on what I had on hand. They are standard bolts but I will replace them with longer metrics before I reinstall the engine. Also I wish I would have clearanced the mounts because I couldn't fit a socket over the nuts because the front mount was so wide it almost touched the bolts and there isn't much room for an open end wrench in there. That was a pain.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1657691.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1657689.jpg
buguy

Post by buguy »

Hey guys is like to try to get my engine back in and buttoned up this weekend but I need some opinions. I have a junkyard made header where the collector ends near the engine tin. The header is 1 3/8" and it turned out I made the up-pipe out of 1 3/8" too. So I want to make my new up pipe before I put the engine back in. It looks like 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" would fit the flanges best. What do you think would be the best size? My engine is stock1600 besides single HD springs and chromoly pushrods. T3 42/48 with a Holley 450 4 bbl.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Use the smaller one , helps keep the 'Air flow' in check :wink:
buguy

Post by buguy »

Do you think I should go even smaller? I was afraid I was choking it with the 4 into 1 1 3/8" up pipe.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I use a 2" up pipe and my turbine inlet is 1 7/8ths.
You could go 2" and then taper to 1 3/8ths at the inlet if that is the diameter.
Use about a 3 inch long taper to neck it down.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

The opening on mine is a rectangle. Looks like 2"x2 1/4"
buguy

Post by buguy »

That didn't work at all. I wanted to move the turbo out and up a little (I like how a draw through looks hanging out there).I guess I went too far out and up so it looks super dumb. Guess I will be cutting the flange off in the morning and doing something different. I want to get the engine back in tomorrow so I will have to get creative since I don't have access to any bends at the moment.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1664965.jpg
buguy

Post by buguy »

Oh yeah. I ended up using 2 1/4" pipe it fit the best in the rectangle and it was very close to my lower flange size too.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1664974.jpg
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Looks Good.....