1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
sideshow

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by sideshow »

There was a company making them (I think Canadian) that looked just like these;
ImageSame oil bath dent delete, same oversized cooler hole, inspired by the stale air late Thing shroud...looked pretty good, never saw one in real life, wounder if it is this one.
https://aapistons.com/products/vw-thing ... oil-cooler
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well crap. Doesn't matter much cuz I'm not paying $300 for one!
I do body and paint for a living, so if necessary I will pop the heat outlets off and tin it up, a little mud work and paint!
petew

Post by petew »

36 with a doghouse. ;)
buguy

Post by buguy »

That seems easy enough. Been reading lots of bad reviews on aftermarket shrouds though. Maybe I should just do my own?!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Kind of like doing body work but the material is probably much thinner.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I think I saw some 16 gauge steel at work the other day. That should do it.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I've done it twice. One was successful ( :roll: ) and the other wasn't so successful ( :oops: ). If you can do a check on the gauge so you can match it and make welding easier.

Lee
petew

Post by petew »

buguy wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:07 pm That seems easy enough. Been reading lots of bad reviews on aftermarket shrouds though. Maybe I should just do my own?!
I've got a Chinese chrome 36hp shroud with no heater ducts and a doghouse. Its no master work but it's very effective if it's all sealed in properly and it is. I've used non acid cure silicon to seal it and the tinware to the case. Same story on the back where the cooler scoop is. Motor never gets hot even on 105F days. Fiddly but worth it.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I never thought about using a sealer.
madmike

Post by madmike »

any up-dates? :lol:
buguy

Post by buguy »

No. I have a big Grady White boat and I spent a few weeks getting it back up to where it needs to be. I want to sell it because it just sits. Then I bought an un-maintained supercharged jet ski that I've also been getting up and running. I work 65 hours a week and my family was getting pissed that all I do is work on cars. So now we have a couple jet skis to take out for some fun.
But! The guy is going to open up my case and heads this week so it is going to get back together real soon. Although I had to take all the case studs out so he could do the work and I noticed the picture I took of what size stud went where is gone. So I will have to get that sorted out when he's done. Ugh
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Long on bottom, middle length on top outsides, short on inside. Possibly one long one on top on #3 next to the flywheel.

Glad you are back at it. Family time is good too though. Gotta find a healthy balance.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I hated to be stalled out because I'm excited about it!
On a side note I still need to drill and tap my oil galleries. I was about to go do it today and noticed there is something in there where the relief valve goes and it doesn't seem to budge when I try to move it. Does that come out?
Also I forgot to mention my birthday was the end of last month and my wife bought me a smoker. So I've been having fun with that. I have a pork butt on there now to smoke for 9 hours or so. Hoping for some nice pulled pork sandwiches tonight!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

buguy wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:26 am Yeah I hated to be stalled out because I'm excited about it!
On a side note I still need to drill and tap my oil galleries. I was about to go do it today and noticed there is something in there where the relief valve goes and it doesn't seem to budge when I try to move it. Does that come out?
Also I forgot to mention my birthday was the end of last month and my wife bought me a smoker. So I've been having fun with that. I have a pork butt on there now to smoke for 9 hours or so. Hoping for some nice pulled pork sandwiches tonight!
What smoker did she get you? I got a Traeger a couple years ago. I don't smoke a lot, but it definitely makes the best steaks I've ever had. They have a fantastic app, with tons of delicious recipes. I was drooling over a bunch of recipes this afternoon. Lots of fun!

Is it the valve itself thats stuck up there?
buguy

Post by buguy »

It is a Smoke Hollow. I have been smoking a lot of stuff but I definitely get sick of it quickly. I notice during the week it must be coming out of my pores because I can smell it on myself days after I've eaten it! Or maybe it's trapped in my hair or something?!
So far my favorite thing on it is bacon wrapped pork tenderloin. Cheap too!
I will grab a pic of what I see in there and post it. I'm not sure what exactly is involved with the relieve valve so I'm not too sure what it is.