1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Chip Birks

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by Chip Birks »

buguy wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:36 am I wondered about that. I probably have the tool, but if it's unnecessary then I will skip it. But I should get a new stock size one, yes?
Its just a personal preference. I think the big nut is overkill and not needed. My standard one holds my flywheel fine. 7500rpm launches in a 2000lb car with slicks. Never a problem. But its also not torqued to stock 270ft/lbs or whatever. I go 450.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah my car is a bit lighter because I have glass fenders, no bumpers, one piece windows etc..... And I won't be making a ton of power. Also unlikely to ever have slicks.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Manton makes .035" wall and .058" wall pushrods. Think I should get the heavier ones in case I end up with dual springs down the road? Price is the same either way.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

buguy wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:45 am Yeah my car is a bit lighter because I have glass fenders, no bumpers, one piece windows etc..... And I won't be making a ton of power. Also unlikely to ever have slicks.
Exactly my point. Stock diameter is fine. I would upgrade from stock though, get a new chromoly one.

I'd go with the thick ones. You aren't trying to rev this to the moon. Thicker is heavier, might be cause for less rpm, but its also stronger.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Speaking of revs. Since I'm going with a cw crank, is there a way for me to know what sort of rpms I can turn.... Safely? Or should it be out on a dyno and see where it stops making power?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

buguy wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:03 pm Speaking of revs. Since I'm going with a cw crank, is there a way for me to know what sort of rpms I can turn.... Safely? Or should it be out on a dyno and see where it stops making power?
A cw crank will allow you to rev as high as you really want to. Heads and cam are going to dictate how far is actually good. Single high revs are going to 5500 to 6500rpm from what I've heard. Not sure I'd advise going that high though. Yours will probably run out of steam right around 6000rpm if not before.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah that's ok with me. I was just curious. With a stock case that's probably best anyway.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

The case will be fine with a good crank. I run mine to 7500 regularly. Stock Mag case.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I'm not too worried about that. Especially with stock heads. If I end up with panchitos then there might be more to look out for. But right now a new trans and FI will come before that.
petew

Post by petew »

Just looked through your proposed list there. I'd make 2 observations. ..
1. Double valve springs if your having your heads rebuilt anyway.
2. Get your lifters from the same company as your cam. My engine builder told me he's had issues mixing up lifters and cams before. The lifters have eaten the cam lobes because the metallurgy of them is slightly different.

Aside of that, it's a nice motor. The stock heads will make it good in traffic and help you build boost lower. They'll restrict you some up top, but that's ok. Better intake than exhaust restrictions.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I would do double springs but I have pretty much brand new singles already. And I'm rebuilding the heads myself.
Huh! I searched before and couldn't find Web lifters, but I just checked again, and there they are. So I will get matching lifters.

I'm hoping the stock heads will work well. I'm going to try gasket matching my head's and intake to match. Not sure it will help much but this will be my first port job. I have to take 6cc or so out of the heads too so far. Maybe lots more once I take the step out. My engine guy says 1cc is about the same as a penny.
Last edited by buguy on Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petew

Post by petew »

Cool. Good to hear. :)

P.s. I only have HD singles in mine. I actually have a set of doubles but we couldn't make them fit for some reason. Weird.
buguy

Post by buguy »

If I get new heads they will have doubles for sure.
I need to figure out how to fill flow the case too!
petew

Post by petew »

I think there's a how-to on that here somewhere. As far as I can understand it's one big hole in the front of the case. Not particularly complex. You just need the right size tap for the fitting. Clonebug knows what size.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I think you should just have to drill and tap 2 holes in 2 of the galleries and then get the right oil pump. I should be able to handle that once I understand it.