1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by buguy »

Whoops! Put the new coil in and it still didn't start. That's embarrassing!
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well I got runnin again. I had switched out the carb to the vacuum secondary carb and it just won't idle. Ran good enough but won't idle. So I'm giving up on it. I went through it again last weekend and I don't see anything wrong with it. But it won't work for me. So I just threw the 450 back on. I grabbed some new plugs last night and put those on tonight too. Wow what a difference. Really smoothed it out!
I am going to pull it all apart Saturday and put the new turbo on. So tomorrow night I have to pull the oil line off that goes to the T3 and take it with the new turbo to get the right fitting to make it work. The T3 has a little 2 bolt fitting for the inlet like the drain on the Subie turbo. So a simple adaptor should do the trick. Have to grab a 2" straight pipe to make a new up pipe too since it is 2 1/4" right now. 2" will fit the new Subie flange just right. Should be in business by Sunday.
petew

Post by petew »

buguy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:24 am It's hard to explain but cold in Florida is different than other places. I lived in Iowa for the first 38 years of my life so I know cold! But it's 29 here this morning and I don't remember it being much colder feeling there. Also we just aren't equipt to handle it here. I mean I don't own a coat! No heat here at work. And after 9 years I might have turned into a bit of a sissy!!
My father-in-law has said similar about Australia after living in England. It really never gets colder than about 25F and that's pretty rare. However, we're not set up for it. The other thing being, cold seems to be humid here. It's not the dry cold he was used to at home.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I think it has to do with moisture here. The wind coming off the ocean. It was 29 degrees this morning and it was almost unbearable! Many times when I go to work in the morning I remote start my truck. It's almost like you can see the air with the headlights pointing at you. One more day of it then I get a break for a little bit. 70 degrees again Sunday.
buguy

Post by buguy »

And oh boy. Since I'm going in work tomorrow to install the new turbo, I figured tonight would be a good time to teach myself to tig weld. I could do flat butt welds, and I cut a piece of exhaust tubing in half and welded it back up.... No problem. I know I have to weld the pipe to the flanges so I tried to weld that pipe to some flat stock. No go. Just couldn't seem to do it. I didn't give it much time, but it looks like I will be mig welding it tomorrow!

Had to take the turbo apart to pull the alignment pins out so I can clock it how I want. Figured I'd go ahead and blast and paint it while I'm at it. Although the hot side is real tight on there still. I cleaned the mating surfaces up with a grey Scotchbrite and put a little oil on it. Didn't help much though. Clocking will still surely mean beating it back apart for slight adjustments.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Uh oh. I hope Napa has banjo fittings that will fit the turbo. I didn't get one with the turbo and no one else has fittings that will fit my old oil line to it. Napa closes at 5:30 here and I worked later than that so I have to swing over in the morning.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

You would be better off to have one made up from a quality hose and with the correct fittings.

I got one from a guy on STF. It had the Banjo fitting on one side and a AN-3 female swivel on the other. I just put in a NPT to AN-3 nipple on my oil pressure tee and it was a perfect fit.

Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I suppose this hose I have is pretty old too. I was hoping to get to run it tomorrow but I doubt I can get anything made tomorrow. But the Napa that was in my hometown could make hoses so it's possible if they have the banjo fitting.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well Napa couldn't help and I didn't know it till it was too late that the speed shop closed at 1 so I missed it. What a pain. The speed shop also closes about the time I get off work during the week. I will just have to cut out a little early one day this week. Grrr
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

You are going to need some hose rated for for the pressure and heat of the oil.
I wouldn't cheap out on that. If you have a tractor or implement dealer or a hydraulics hose store in town they can make exactly what you need.

Look for a "Parker Hose" distributor.....they can crimp the ends you need. You just need to plan it out.

What I did with my brake hoses was I bought the fittings and a piece of hose then set it all in place and to the direction I wanted. Once I knew what I wanted I brought the parts back and they crimped them on in the shape I wanted.

You should put the general area you live into your profile so we can help you locate the parts you need. I promise I won't stalk you...... :wink:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I was going to try Central Hydraulics here in town but they are closed on Saturday too. I'm sure the speed shop can make them too. Might be a tractor supply place around here somewhere. Not real sure.
I will update my profile! Not real worried about you stalking me.... You would run away crying after all the questions I would have to ask you!
petew

Post by petew »

Clonebug wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:18 am You should put the general area you live into your profile so we can help you locate the parts you need. I promise I won't stalk you...... :wink:
What, just like you have in your profile CB? :lol:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

petew wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:55 pm
Clonebug wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:18 am You should put the general area you live into your profile so we can help you locate the parts you need. I promise I won't stalk you...... :wink:
What, just like you have in your profile CB? :lol:

What the !!!!!!!

Who took my home away!!!!!!! :lol: :roll: :wink:
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well no luck at the local tractor supply. I guess it will have to wait. I'm going to work in the morning to get the welding done at least.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Anyone running a Subaru turbo know if this little tapped hole does anything? It's kind of in my way and I'd like to grind it down so my waste gate will sit better. It's close but needs to come down a little.
Gave a quick wash too. She was real dirty.