1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by buguy »

I guess it's possible. But when the car is off its not bulged up like that. In my opinion it is bulging out as I rev it. I don't know how or why though.
I'm going to pick up some more of that radiator hose today like I had on it before. It was much stronger and way cheaper too. Doesn't look as nice though.
madmike

Post by madmike »

I would not worry about it,,as long as It don't leak :wink:
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah only reason I'm going to change it is because it makes the carb a little wiggly.
madmike

Post by madmike »

I hear ya, I 've got solid mounts on the motor so I have a brace going to the body(goes to the place where the deck lid bolt on) and the bottom of the heavy Demon carb. :wink: I check it 'Often' :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I'm not sure if mine is in the best spot. I have a rod going from the carb bolt to the exhaust stud.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Went to work with the Holley HP 390 today. Did some welding on the intake where I felt I had a leak. Plunked that carb on and fired it up. It sounded pretty good. I decided to take it for a drive. Way off on jets. So I went up 7 sizes in the mains, bigger on both squirters, and tried a couple power valves too. I got it decent but it's pretty rich down low. Figured I'd start there and try to work my way lean to where I want it. The rest of the range seems pretty good. I haven't driven this thing on the road since 08. It didn't build boost as quick as I had hoped, but it is way better than it was with the bigger T3. I only made it to 7psi before getting back out of it.
Still smokes like a bitch too. Even when it was real lean. Not sure what's going on with that. Might just be how it is draw through with that turbo.
I am seeing 10.5 or so AFR until I start getting into the throttle. I figured that's better than lean. I will back off on the mains a couple sizes next time out. Also I jumped from a 32 squirter to a 43. I don't seem to have anything in-between. I will probably drill out a 32 a little. I have a half dozen of those.
Felt good to get it back out on the road. I had also hoped using slightly bigger tires would help but first gear is pretty much worthless still.
I'm going to have to build a new header too. Since chant one my trans mounts it moved the engine up quite a bit and the header is either real close or even touches the apron. I saw today it's burning my paint off. Maybe I would be money ahead to just get a CB header now in preparation for the FI. Then I could just blow through the Holley until I have all my FI stuff.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Oooh that was fun! I worked on dialing in the carb a little better after work. She's pretty close now. Just going a bit lean on tip in on easy throttle. A quick shot with the accelerator pump and it powers through it. Pulled nice to 7 psi. Moves out pretty good. I can't imagine how it must feel to you guys in the 20psi range!
But I have some wiring issue for sure. When I got out of the car it shocked me. I noticed it a couple other times but it was cold out, and here that means lots of static. Wasn't bad tonight so I think I have a ground issue or possibly the coil is getting me. Probably sort that out this weekend.
petew

Post by petew »

[BBvideo=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGlRiapBEeY[/BBvideo]

Thought you might enjoy this. I'm the guy playing solitaire on the laptop = EFI. :lol:
buguy

Post by buguy »

Haha! Yeah my wife bought me motortrend on demand for xmas last year. I've seen that! She bought me that because I really like Roadkill!
terryly

Post by terryly »

Like that video. I spent so much time not messing with my ..#$#$$%@..... Carbs and dizzy ripping around in my car I had to much time on my hands.
My mind began to wander soon I started having thoughts of Turbo's, " Intercoolers " and METH !!! My GOSH! ... Idle hands can any-good come of it
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
buguy

Post by buguy »

I'm just the opposite. I have zero time. I haven't been home from work before 8pm in 2 months! My wife is over it!
I try to work on it 30 min to an hour after work. Make an adjustment, take it for a drive, put it away, and go home. Do it again the next night.
terryly

Post by terryly »

I was kinda kidding around that I never have to mess around with my carbs and dist since going fuel injection :D Sounds like you might be a good candidate for a pre-assembled ECU and a chat with a tuner. You could l be out there cruising and smiling in a couple of weeks. Throw the lap top in the back seat , take a cruise for ice cream or something and gather a data log enjoy your time. Later at your convenience look over the logs and see if you can "polish" it a little more. You don't have yo be at your car to to make changes to your tune only to burn them. I keep all my old tunes on the lap top And keep a note of how it was and what I thought and could go back to how it was last week or month ago in a couple minutes., Just pull up the file and burn it.
I really think you will enjoy your EFI adventure
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
buguy

Post by buguy »

I agree. I still don't know if I want MS2 or MS3 yet though. Still have more research to do and make a final decision on what features I want.
terryly

Post by terryly »

I could be wrong and have been a whole lot more than I care to admit :lol: But standing over hear watching a dude bolting on a turbo to his Grandma's bug and pondering fuel injection I'm thinking that tinkerer just might want to keep his options open :wink: MS3 :D
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
buguy

Post by buguy »

Oh man! I want a new trans too! I did a little carb work on a late Karmen super beetle convertibe. Went for a ride and this trans gear is waaaay more usable than mine is.