1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by buguy »

Sure. I can put it just about wherever. But I want to see if that is even the problem first. I kind of doubt it is. I will probably order a minor rebuild kit for the turbo and throw that in next time I have it off. I think a minor rebuild kit is just bearings and o-rings.im going to have to pull the engine soon and find where its leaking from too. It's too much oil loss for me to take.
This is maybe 10 min of run time sitting still with a little revving.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

You can’t crawl underneath and see where it’s leaking from????

Looks to me it probably is a Pushrod tube. If it is you can pull the Pushrod on that one and twist the old tube out.
Buy a couple JayCee spring loaded tubes from him and install it without having to pull the engine apart.
Those springs are tough but I did it on mine before heading on my California trip.
Use the good silicone seals and be careful installing it so you don’t damage the seals.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah man that picture is on the lift. It's not the push rod tubes. All I can see is it looks like oil is running down the outside of the cylinders right about where they meet the heads. Because of the cylinder tins I can't see where its coming from. That's why I thought maybe it was coming from the oil cooler and running down, or being pushed down from the fan.
I will take some more pics from underneath tomorrow before I pull it off the lift.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

It's 4 bolts, the turbo plumbing, fuel line and a few wires......if you have a lift you can have it out in less than an hour.

If you have it that far you might as well pull the valve covers and rockers and do a retorque on the head studs. Just for peace of mind.........

Clean it all off and fit new seals to the cooler......reinstall.

On mine it takes me two hours just to get the body ready to pull....once that is pulled it's another hour or two pulling all the wiring and plumbing off the top of the engine in order to pull it.......Which reminds me.......I need to order my Stage II and pressure plate and get going on my winter upgrades..... :roll: :wink: :cry:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Clonebug wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:53 am ....Which reminds me.......I need to order my Stage II and pressure plate and get going on my winter upgrades..... :roll: :wink: :cry:
Haha I'm in the same boat! Got in a little deeper than planned on a different project. Bout done, but spring is knocking on the door.
petew

Post by petew »

Have you got the right restrictor in the oil feed?
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah, the only problem I have is the lift is at work and I don't have access to it all the time.
I really should have done something with mine too. I just put a new starter on it and found that I still have the 6v fly wheel and clutch in it. I should have kept the 12v starter I got in the first place and just gotten a 200mm flywheel/pressure plate/clutch.
And I did re-torque the head bolts and put new valve cover gaskets on last time it was out. I want to make a plan and try to have everything I need before I pull the engine. That way I can pull it, do the repairs, and get it back in while I have the lift. I want to pick up a sump for it too so I can get that on while its in the air.
buguy

Post by buguy »

petew wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:47 pm Have you got the right restrictor in the oil feed?
Everyone says these TD04's have a restrictor built into them.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

buguy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:54 pm
petew wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:47 pm Have you got the right restrictor in the oil feed?
Everyone says these TD04's have a restrictor built into them.
Mine has one in it.

I feed it with a AN-3 line.

Just make sure you have a 5/8ths or AN-10 drain line on it.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I have a -3 oil feed and 5/8" drain.
My last turbo had a -4 feed and 3/8" drain and it didn't really smoke.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

buguy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:22 pm I have a -3 oil feed and 5/8" drain.
My last turbo had a -4 feed and 3/8" drain and it didn't really smoke.
The TD04 turbo is not a draw through turbo......it does not have the correct seals.......Some people on theSamba say you don't need a carbon seal but the only way you can find out is by trying it.
Now you have to figure out if the oil is coming from the engine or the seal........

My blow thru carb turbo was frustrating enough.......I am sooooo glad I swapped to EFI.

Sorry man....I feel your pain.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I'm really thinking about just blowing through this 4bbl until I gather up all the efi stuff.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Although I did score a free Holley 500cfm 2 barrel the other day! Looks to be in great shape too. Maybe I will try blowing through that instead!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

buguy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:28 pm Although I did score a free Holley 500cfm 2 barrel the other day! Looks to be in great shape too. Maybe I will try blowing through that instead!
That's what Rodney is doing with his 1600!
buguy

Post by buguy »

The 4 barrel I have on there now is a small 390 cfm.