1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by buguy »

Good call on the silicone Clone. It's only 4 ply and the intake is a little wiggly. I will probably go ahead and grab some 5 ply when I buy my bends. The clamps they sold me are a bit too big too so I will be returning them as well.
I fired it up yesterday but it ran out of fuel almost right away so I left it at that. I had already worked 10 hours so that was enough for me. I was wanting to go in today to raise the ass end up a little, but I just don't feel like going to work today. Put in 75 hours already this week. Time for some rest. Gonna order up another bing for the 02 sensor and a 3" bend today.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Oh boy. I picked up this 3" pipe and o2 bung for my exhaust. Didn't realize just how big 3" would be on this. My outlet flange is 3" but I guess I should have picked up 2.5" and flared it or something. I have a feeling the free air is going to jack my o2 sensor readings.
petew

Post by petew »

I've got a 2.5" bend sitting here that I ordered by accident. The dumb things we do... :(
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

My whole exhaust is 2.5"!
buguy

Post by buguy »

This ended up being 2.85" and it was too small still. They told me it was 3".The opening in my flange is 2.93". I just didn't realize how big that really is. I went ahead and put it on and just welded the gap. It looks monsterous on there! Loud as hell too! It is actually just what I wanted, but now I'm not sure I want it! It's pretty obnoxious.
buguy

Post by buguy »

See! This turbo seems to smoke way more than the T3. I don't know if it's because its 29 degrees out but there is plenty of white smoke. I get some black smoke too but I expected that. I think I'm about 6 sizes too big on the mains but I'm ok with that at the moment. I want to see how the AFR is when I drive it. I have a vid I will put up once I get home.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I uploaded the vid. https://youtu.be/NsUW3-KPF7k
petew

Post by petew »

Umm, there was the barest hint of white smoke followed by just as much black smoke. Was the motor cold?

Also, what do you mean by "29deg out"?
madmike

Post by madmike »

He mean's it freezing outside in Florida at 29* f :lol:
Get the biggest drain line on that turbo u can find :wink:
buguy

Post by buguy »

No the motor wasn't cold. I had it idliing for 10 min or so with some revs in it. I had it running to check the timing and set the idle air mixture etc.
And yes. It was really cold!
It has a 5/8" drain line. Can't get much bigger than that! Also the other turbo didn't smoke like that I had never seen black smoke before. I went from a -4 oil feed and a 3/8" drain with the T3 to a -3 oil feed and 5/8" drain on this one. I guess I just didn't think with no boost, changing turbos would affect the tune at all. Only other thing I changed is the intake coupler. I took this vid a week ago with the other turbo. It was probably 65 - 70 degrees this day.
https://youtu.be/rCBaD4MKymc
petew

Post by petew »

Oh right. I guess there is a little white smoke.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well I messed with it a bit more tonight. My AFR has vacuum /boost gauge too so I checked it. It is down to 17" of vacuum when it's usually right at 20". I broke out the can of carb cleaner and as soon as I sprayed the base of the carb in the front it dropped rpm. Seems I have a leak. I guess I need to pull it off and find something flat to check it on. Ive been wanting to try one more carb on this anyway. So I guess this is a good time to check it.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Oh yeah! I forgot about this. When I started it back up tonight I noticed something interesting. I only checked because Clone pointed out I should try to get 5 ply silicone. But check out what this coupler does with a little throttle. There is a little movement in it because the brace is just sitting on it, it's not tightened down. I was a little surprised to see it. Anyone know what's going on there? I would have expected it to suck closed more than balloon out.
https://youtu.be/-W5rSEmm7UE
66brm

Post by 66brm »

My guess is you don't notice it but at idle with vacuum in it it's sucked in, when you rev the engine the manifold vacuum drops and the silicone relaxes looking like it's bulging out under pressure
madmike

Post by madmike »

Looks like it got a Heartbeat :lol: :lol: :lol:
don't sweat that :roll: :lol: ,you should see my 1915,,It all most sucks it shut in vac. but runs fine :lol: :lol: I just need a longer intake and a shorter hose.