1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by Clonebug »

Chip Birks wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:24 am Pretty sure its just a modified one. I'll ask him...
Who's Bug is that???
Engine?
Turbo?
Details???
:shock: :wink: :lol:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

His name is Chrys Espejo, he's on facebook. He races Unlimited Street, is from California, runs e85 most of the time, if not exclusively. Air to water intercooler. I think its gone 10s. Nice guy. Cool car.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah it looks like pretty big pipe!
theKbStockpiler

Post by theKbStockpiler »

Here's a link that brings up a lot of turbo bug builds. [BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AntlkT6ybVo[/BBvideo]

The only header I have seen that keeps the turbo out of the engine bay is the CB. If having the turbo/exhaust in the engine bay is not a problem or having unequal length primaries , the fabrication gets easier.
Super beetle with attitude
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

My a1 puts the turbo in the same spot, but no pipe in the back of the engine. The primaries all run forward and the wrap around to the 3/4 side.
buguy

Post by buguy »

That's kind of how I was thinking to do it. Run the 1/2 side around the forward part of the engine and end up back around by number 4. Or maybe keeping it kind of like it is now but running a little bit lower in the back so things don't have to be so tight running back up.
theKbStockpiler

I just came across the DRD header.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

theKbStockpiler wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:02 pm I just came across the DRD header.
DRD used to sell the A1 header, thats the one I have. Pretty sure DRD has closed its doors.
theKbStockpiler

It just occurred to me the if the primaries are not equal length, they are not technically a header and are a 'tubular exhaust'.
buguy

Post by buguy »

That's pretty much the vision I had for it. But I would think the turbo would need to be a bit higher for drainage? Do you have to run a scavenge pump Chip?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

buguy wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:40 pm That's pretty much the vision I had for it. But I would think the turbo would need to be a bit higher for drainage? Do you have to run a scavenge pump Chip?
I've never had a problem.
theKbStockpiler

Chip, do you find that SS stays that much cooler and really does not need to be insulated?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

My header is MS. I'm gathering a whole bunch of stainless bits to do a new header, but not ready to do it yet. My steel one has definitely done some corroding. Its still sound, for now. I mainly want the stainless for its durability.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I'm ordering up my bends tomorrow. Its a bummer because the place with the cheap bends has nice flanges for sale too but no cheap collector. The next more expensive place with bends has a cheap collector but don't have thick flanges. So I have to order from 2 different places.
I'm really tempted to try blowing through one of these carbs but it sure seems like the throttle shafts would be a huge leak. I would also probably have to put an electric fuel pump on... Maybe. I don't really know what pressure the stock mechanical pump puts out. I believe a Holley is good to 7 pounds of pressure before overcoming the needle and seat. So if I have to bump the fuel pressure up as boost rises I could need as much as 17 pounds (assuming I run 10 psi of boost).I can't imagine I can get that from a stock pump.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

You might want to check this out before placing your order.
They even have a cheap collector and you can get it in 1 3/8ths if you want.

http://www.greatplainsas.com/scexhaustparts.html
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.