Pressure testing turbo system

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
sidemarkers

Pressure testing turbo system

Post by sidemarkers »

The only leak I found was between the compressor housing and the center section. Looked on ebay for a replacement..maybe there is a special name for it. Where can I find a replacement for the paper gasket that belongs there for a T3?
Clonebug

Re: Pressure testing turbo system

Post by Clonebug »

Put a real thin line of Ultra Black or for that matter any silicone to seal it.
I doubt the little bit of leakage there would make much difference unless it is a drawthrough setup.
Blow through isn't going to matter much since a turbo can pump a LOT of air.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

It leaks quite a bit.

I've watched other videos on this topic and they often end up with no leakage.

Here is a video I took of the leak. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYsBUhJQRrM
petew

Post by petew »

How much pressure did you put in there? Coz if you put too much pressure in it, you're like to blow the seal out.

I'd seal it with silicon as CB suggested. But again, once you've sealed it up, don't blow it out again with too much pressure.
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

I was testing with 10 lbs, I regularly run up to 20 lbs on the street. I sealed it tonight and will test it tomorrow.
petew

Post by petew »

sidemarkers wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:02 am I was testing with 10 lbs, I regularly run up to 20 lbs on the street. I sealed it tonight and will test it tomorrow.
Dang, that's a big leak for only 10psi. :(
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

petew wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:08 am
sidemarkers wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:02 am I was testing with 10 lbs, I regularly run up to 20 lbs on the street. I sealed it tonight and will test it tomorrow.
Dang, that's a big leak for only 10psi. :(
Yeah, I agree. You really don't know until a leak test is performed. In the turbo game it's all about quality boost and the quick spool!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I don't think that is anything to worry about. That turbo should be able to easily ignore that little bit of leakage.....as long as it's blow through.

Take some quality sealer and put a thin bead on it and stick it back together.....let it dry overnight and boost on.

I blew the boost pipe off my TB and my old turbo still would make 3 lbs boost.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.