Mysterious oil leaks caused by boost?

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
bug66

Re: Mysterious oil leaks caused by boost?

Post by bug66 »

Preferably with venting I would do 1,5" out from the oil filler and 1-1,5" from the 1/2 side of the case. There is room above rod 1 behind the fan housing.
---

2165cc on a Borg Warner S257 SXE, DTA S60 on E85.

Boost was created only to make people smile, and make power! 8)

10.626 @ 132mph SCC2016
10.407 @ 134mph SCC2017
10.221 @ 135mph SCC2018
slowsixtyduece

Post by slowsixtyduece »

Thanks for all your replies, guys! I havent been running the car much in the last few months since its cold (I live in the mountains of Colorado) and I havent had time take her out either. However, I did have a chance to do 2 shakedown 1/4 mile runs at the track back in September netting me with a best run of 13.8 sec @ 105 mph (2.31 60-ft, .689 reaction time). Car spun my 14 year old radials all the way through first gear and into second...plus the track is at 4,600 ft elevation - lots of room for improvement! But what is fascinating to me is that after two hard runs (shifting at 5.5k, full throttle, etc) there was not a drop of oil anywhere. Nothing. Theres only two things that come to mind that are different:

1. The race track is at lower elevation than where I live (approx 1000 ft lower than where I live)
2. The oil was did not get hot enough to find its way out of the motor in the usual spots

My thought is that #2 is the culprit since I cant imagine going up in altitude 1000 ft would cause that much more crankcase pressure.

I just ordered a Snow water/meth kit for the summer. I may tear into the top end and replace the rings/pistons/cylinders soon, just for safety's sake.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I would guess #2 as well.
Did you get the stage one kit?
slowsixtyduece

Post by slowsixtyduece »

buguy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:33 pm I would guess #2 as well.
Did you get the stage one kit?
I actually ordered the stage 2 w/ VC-50 gauge kit. They are on sale on ebay right now for around the price point I was looking at. Do you have one on your motor? Im curious to see how well it works.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I don't but I'm in the market for one. Have a link for the one you found? I'm thinking of just making one of my own.
slowsixtyduece

Post by slowsixtyduece »

buguy wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:26 pm I don't but I'm in the market for one. Have a link for the one you found? I'm thinking of just making one of my own.
I do. This is the stage 2 w/ gauge kit I bought yesterday:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snow-Performan ... om&vxp=mtr

Here are a few others that are 'on sale' from the same dealer. After asking, I found out that they are new in box, and the most recent version.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snow-Performan ... Ij&vxp=mtr
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snow-Performan ... Kg&vxp=mtr
buguy

Post by buguy »

I bet that gauge will be nice to have. Seems like a good price
madmike

Post by madmike »

That would be cheaper running race fuel all the time,, :lol: at 8 bucks a gal. I'd prolly get the stage1 for my 2276 ,cuz as of now 15lbs will ping with just 93oct. :roll:
slowsixtyduece

Post by slowsixtyduece »

madmike wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:42 am That would be cheaper running race fuel all the time,, :lol: at 8 bucks a gal. I'd prolly get the stage1 for my 2276 ,cuz as of now 15lbs will ping with just 93oct. :roll:
My thoughts exactly! I ran race fuel at the track and turned the boost up a little with no pinging whatsoever. It was so nice. Thought about going e-85 but the only station is 35-40 min away from me and the car sits a lot. So, water meth seems to be the next best thing.

I thought about a stage 1 kit but I like the idea of injecting somewhat proportionally with the stage 2. It just makes sense to me. Plus, windshield fluid is easily accessible for me.
petew

Post by petew »

OUCH! Those kits are pricey by the time they get to me. :(

Maybe I'll have to pick one up while I'm in the US later this year. ;)
buguy

Post by buguy »

I'm in the same boat. There are 2 stations around here with E85, both too far to make it worth it to me. Also you might do some reading. Washer fluid is only about 30% meth so you aren't going to be getting. Good 50/50 ratio with it. Way better than nothing, but you won't be using it to its full potential that way. And I agree. Stage 2 will be more versatile and allow you to ramp up on your boost.
Where are you planning to put your pump?
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

E85 is more cold blooded during startups, especially in a climate like Colorado. Cool fact is that water expands by a factor of 1600 when it turns into steam, which further aids in pushing the piston down. Water/meth is like E85 on demand so you get the best of both worlds, without the horrible gas mileage of E85.
madmike

Post by madmike »

My sons turboed Honda runs E-85 , for the strip it would be great ,,but for Daily driver??? ,my fuel tank is only about 7 gal. :roll: and yepper nearest gas station that caries it is 32 miles away :lol:
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

Does your crank pulley have a sand seal?
slowsixtyduece

Post by slowsixtyduece »

petew wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:37 pm OUCH! Those kits are pricey by the time they get to me. :(

Maybe I'll have to pick one up while I'm in the US later this year. ;)
Do they not offer free shipping to your location? Or is it the exchange rate that make the price go up? Where are you gonna be visiting in the US this year? Is Colorado on your list?
buguy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:29 pm I'm in the same boat. There are 2 stations around here with E85, both too far to make it worth it to me. Also you might do some reading. Washer fluid is only about 30% meth so you aren't going to be getting. Good 50/50 ratio with it. Way better than nothing, but you won't be using it to its full potential that way. And I agree. Stage 2 will be more versatile and allow you to ramp up on your boost.
Where are you planning to put your pump?
Yeah, I have done some reading about the lower methanol in washer fluid. Even if I have to order 4 gallons of "Boost Juice" from Snow, its still way more convenient and cheaper than always having to fill up on E-85. I even looked into buying a 55 gallon of E-85 but I would be concerned about letting it sit and gaining water. Thats the other thing, I dont drive the car everyday so letting E-85 sit in the tank might not be the best idea. In the warmer months, I drive it once a week...

Planning to mount the pump/container behind the back seat on the parcel tray area! Seemed like a fitting place for now.
sidemarkers wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:58 pm E85 is more cold blooded during startups, especially in a climate like Colorado. Cool fact is that water expands by a factor of 1600 when it turns into steam, which further aids in pushing the piston down. Water/meth is like E85 on demand so you get the best of both worlds, without the horrible gas mileage of E85.
:D :D :D Exactly!
madmike wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:40 am My sons turboed Honda runs E-85 , for the strip it would be great ,,but for Daily driver??? ,my fuel tank is only about 7 gal. :roll: and yepper nearest gas station that caries it is 32 miles away :lol:
32 miles is just too far! If it were at a station down the street, I would be considering converting to E-85 asap...
sidemarkers wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:18 pm Does your crank pulley have a sand seal?
No sand seal...what do you think about that? Would having one make oil leaks better or worse??