My draw through turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: My draw through turbo

Post by Clonebug »

buguy wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:33 am Kind of off topic, but Clone do use your 2 step in the ecu at all to help with spool during shifts?
I'm scared to use it....

I have launch control set at 4000 rpm and have revved it to hit the limiter twice since I had it set with the clutch pushed in.....I have never actually launched with it.
My head already snaps back on hard take offs.
I did try the flat shift once but when I pushed the clutch to shift it fell flat on its face because I had it set to cut fuel and spark when engaged....... the engine did NOT like that.
Until I figure out how to set it I just leave it alone and dream about it.....
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I really don't even know exactly how they work. I've just read about guys using them to keep on boost when shifting. And of course those silly wheels up launches.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

You don't use the 2 step between shifts. Just at launch.
buguy

Post by buguy »

So what is the pop I hear when they shift?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Hitting a rev limiter, just not the 2 step. Two step retards timing and pours on fuel to get egts high. I just tried flat shift for the first time. Settings were off or something, but boost held. Stayed right in the 22-23 psi range. I'm targeting 22 right now.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

If i really wanted to flog the buggy for faster times I could do a Mario launch And set up flat shift.....there is some serious potential there but it also increases the probability that I would need to invest in a trailer that my buggy fits on.
Do i really want to go there???????? I don't think so.........It's not that important to me at this time.

I'll let the mouse motor guys catch up and then I might have to turn it up a notch....... :wink: :lol: 8)
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Right I'm playing around with my 2 step rev limiter. Now I think i understand what is happening when I hit my max limiter it's cutting the spark to one plug or retarding time witch one I'm not sure, but on my target launch rpm limit ( say 3000 rpm) I can set what ever advance I like or tell the black box ignition unit to use what ever advance is in that timing box anyway I thought that I could just floor the pedal and the rpm's would hit the target launch rpm and not increase passed that point but they do. What is happening is that at 3000rpm (my launch target) the ignition box just cut the spark to a plug but the rpm's can still increase. Is this normal? This is all new to me.
And how long can I hold the engine on the launch control before I brake something?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Also what ignition timing are people using when on there two step launch?
madmike

Post by madmike »

I wouldn't launch on the 2 step unless It's a National Championship race and I have something to prove :roll: :lol:
pre-load with a staging brake I can make 5lbs of boost no problem :lol:
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Launching on a two step serves 3 purposes. 1: overall consistency. 2: limits rpm, protecting transmission. 3: it can build lots of boost. I've built 21psi with my car in neutral. Boost is built quickly by retarding the ignition. Leaving the ignition to match the table makes for the smoothest sounding and least effective limiter. Retarding to say -5° makes for big booms and bangs, holds rpm down, and builds a ton of boost. Just be careful, once that boost is unleashed, parts will break if not prepared. Always always always preload the transmission.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Anss by preload you mean: let the clutch come up for a sec to get every gear in the gearbox "clicked" into one and another right?
Better to be blown than to suck!
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Well I've been playing and had some success and some issues. This is what I've done.
Launch rpm set to 3000 rpm
Timing set to 5 ATDC
Boost rises fast to 5psi (if I floor the pedal engine rpm's will still rise slowly above the set 3000 rpm limit)
Flames spitting out exhaust
Pre load the box
Hand brake off and she f#@king fly's BUT he's the problem if I change gear and the rpm's fall below 3000rpm as that rise back up and hit 3000rpm the launch control timing kicks back in and retards my timming back to 5ATDC. Have I done something wrong?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

What are you activating the 2 step with? A switch of some sort?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Yes a toggle switch mounted under the dash
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Did you untoggle it after you launched? 2 step should be a momentary type switch.