My draw through turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
advinnie

Re: My draw through turbo

Post by advinnie »

Hi all was just wondering what type of spark plugs are you lot using on your turbo bugs?
I'm using stock plugs and cause I'm running a draw through turbo set up they are sooting up badly and continually failing and it getting on my tits. Would using hotter or colder plugs help?
PS I can't lean her of anymore cause I will get detonation when on boost. I'm guessing it's the idles that are to big .40F8's but if I down size them to lean it off the engine will not idle at all it will run just not idle
madmike

Post by madmike »

NGK's are what I run and I alway try running the coldest plug I can get by with I thinks 8's is whats in my 2276 (Higher the # the colder the plugs with the NGK's :wink:
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I'm running NGK's 6 at the moment and they are getting sooty fast and fouling up within 50 to 100 miles they stop working so was wondering if they where to cold?
I know hotter plugs could cause pre ignition but if I lean the mains of anymore I get detonation. If I lean the idles of she just will not idle at all
madmike

Post by madmike »

maybe your coil is getting weak?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Good point. I was looking at coils just the after day and was wondering what one to go for. I was looking at one of them square MSD coils or is there a better choice out there?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Replaced the coil with a basic Bosch one and all is goid. No more random misfire plug colours are all good and now back to 11 psi of constant boost. Going to replace the wastegate spring tomorrow and go for 15psi of boost.
I'm loving this little 1600 it can take so much abuse 😁
madmike

Post by madmike »

Glad I could help :lol: :lol: :lol:
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

This may be my next car in the link below but it does mean the turbo bug has to go. I'm stuck on witch way to go 😞
https://youtu.be/ni_znR7jQoY
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

advinnie wrote: ↑Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:30 am This may be my next car in the link below but it does mean the turbo bug has to go. I'm stuck on witch way to go 😞
https://youtu.be/ni_znR7jQoY
It is getting closer to Halloween isn't it. :lol:
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I take it you don't approve of the idea of selling the bug and getting the Porsche?
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

I would.

Not much to tinker with anymore then
Better to be blown than to suck!
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

πŸ‘
Unfortunately with two boys 3 & 6 years old I have no time to play around and tinker with the bug any more. Over many years if owning beetles I've done slammed, air ride, built every size engine you can build, turboed changed as well now and I've just run out if ideas and time to play with them for now. I want something I can just get into, start her up and go have some fun without the worry of how far I will get before something goes wrong. In not saying the Porsche is going to behave but at least it has heat for the winter πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚.
It looks like my bug days are no numbered and yes I going to miss her but not the hassle she has caused me 😁
madmike

Post by madmike »

:roll: :cry: :lol: Yea sell it while it's running good :lol: :lol: :lol: but when I do sell one of mine I'm sorry I did later on :lol: :lol: :lol: still miss my 917
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

advinnie wrote: ↑Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:47 amUnfortunately with two boys 3 & 6 years old I have no time to play around and tinker with the bug any more.
I get the parenting thing, but don't make any rash decisions. Just keep the bug around for weekend driving. Anyone who ever sold one always talks about how much they wish they had it back. Just sit on it for a while.
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

madmike wrote: ↑Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:37 am :roll: :cry: :lol: Yea sell it while it's running good :lol: :lol: :lol: but when I do sell one of mine I'm sorry I did later on :lol: :lol: :lol: still miss my 917
Saw this one on Saturday. Small world!