My draw through turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
gbaker770

Re: My draw through turbo

Post by gbaker770 »

You cant run the pumps deadheaded, they burn up. Get a return style regulator an dump it back in the tank. They last a lot longer.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

gbaker770 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:08 am You cant run the pumps deadheaded, they burn up. Get a return style regulator an dump it back in the tank. They last a lot longer.
You've managed to keep Holley pumps alive? I did always dead head back in the day. I imagine that definitely didn't help.
gbaker770

Post by gbaker770 »

Yep, they wont. Last forever but I figure I got about 1500 street miles and maybe 100-150 1/8 mile passes on one before it left me stranded on the side of the road. LOL
Sucker was glowing hot when it went out. Found the fuel filter was a little plugged too so that contributed to its demise. my fault completely.
Ive done a lot of really dumb things with my car and learned some pretty decent lessons. I was very fortunate to have some really good people help me out over the years so I always try to pass along what little help I can to others.
Nobody wants to see sombody hurt parts and give up.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Hi all still no fuel pump 😞
Anyway got a question for you lot, I have an adjustable boost sensor switch that actives my water injection system but I'm wondering if these boost sensor switch should only see boost pressure not vacuum? What's your thoughts?
Here's the switch I have
http://www.methanol-injection.co.uk/ind ... uct_id=243
madmike

Post by madmike »

What does the manufacturer say?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I've tried emailing them all week and I've got know reply
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Ha ha ha would you believe it, all week I've been trying to contact them to get the answer to my question and all week I've failed and just ten minutes after I post up on here and ask you lot the question I received an email from them say "yes this switch can handle up to -25psi and + 45psi" sods law😂
buguy

Post by buguy »

That's how it usually goes!
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Well fuel pump turned up yesterday so got that fitted and started some more tuning. I was running 10psi boost with 135 & 140 mains and was getting an A/F ratio of 12.3 but by 12 psi I was leaning off fast with a A/F ratio of 13.5:1. Do upped the mains to a pair of 152's and was getting a A/F ratio of 11.3:1 @ 14 psi boost 😁 BUT here's the problem, although the air fuel ratio is good when on boost when on the cruise she is running rich to the point of she feels flat and judders witch she didn't do on the smaller main jets. So I believe that I have now hit the limit of what boost I can run with and still use her as a town car. So I guess if no one on here has any ideas on how I can solve this issue I'm going to have to look at EFI.
I'm about to do a max boost run later today to see what she can reach with the biggest main jets I have witch are 160's and I will get back to you
buguy

Post by buguy »

I don't know crap about those carbs, but does it have an enrichment circuit besides mains? My holly has a power valve that only comes on at low vacuum so I can run smaller mains and still get extra fuel on boost. Not sure if your carb has something like that?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Not as far as I'm aware.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Smaller air corrections richens things as airflow/load increases.
emulsion tubes help determine the curve.

The only setup more finely tunable than Webers/Dells is efi.
(EFI can be a whole lot easier to tune and allows you to push hard, easier)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Ok so dropping down from 180 airs to 160 will richen up the hole rpm range or only when the engine sees high load.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

advinnie wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:19 am Ok so dropping down from 180 airs to 160 will richen up the hole rpm range or only when the engine sees high load.
The higher load, richer it gets.
won't make much difference at bottom end, and cruise ideally should be running on the idle circuit
(at least with duals that is the case, you typically have to make singles or draw through setups super rich just to run safely due to uneven fuel distribution).
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Are you pressurizing your regulator under boost?