My draw through turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
GARRICK.CLARK

Re: My draw through turbo

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

I Have mine set at 24 idle and then retards down under boost, water injection needed thou
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Interesting so your at 24 at idle do you advance your timing any more at WOT @ 101Kpa or are you locked at 24 at all rpm's and Kpa's below boost ?
What do you retard down to and at what boost level.
At 3000rpm and above at 101Kpa i was at 31 BTDC and retard 1 degree per 1 psi boost down to 24 BTDC @ 7 psi
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Mines only a basic set up really Adam. Locked at 24, retards from 24 down to not sure were. I use a dual vac can in retard mode only. It does work as long as the water doesn't run out or as long as the nozzle pipe doesn't pop off.
Got 1 bar going through it.
It doesn't like this 30 degree weather were having thou.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I know what your saying my bug is not happy with this weather either.
Well I'm now moving on to the handling side of things. I have drilled disc's up front and drums on the rear and they are more than capable of stopping the bug it the cornering I'm having issues with. First of yes I know it's a swing axle bug and they are not the best at going round corners but what can I do to improve the cornering?
One thing I did do was to remove the oil shocks and fit KYB GR2 shock all around, now that did stiffen up the ride but still ok to drive on a long journey but there is a big problem with these gas shocks. That problem is that they want to lift the car all the time. When I replaced the old oil shocks with the gas shocks the bug sat about 1-1 5" higher plus going round a corner has become interesting. Yes with the oil shocks going round a corner fast I would get a lot of body roll and that's the reason I've gone for gas shocks but now and this is my opinion on what's going on, when I go round a corner at first the car stays level witch is what i was after and the body roll comes on slower but stay in that corner long enough and something strange happens, when going round a right hand bend the body roll will come in nice and slowly but cause the gas shocks are always trying to lift the car at some point the rear right hand corner of the car will start lifting up high and you can feel the back end loosing grip witch never happened with the oil shocks.
So long story short what other shocks can I try and what other modifications can I do to help keep the car more level in a turn?
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

I have a 19mm front sway bar fitted. Well worth buying. I also have my ride height level and not lowered ,this also seams to be good for the handling of my bug. Got white KYB shocks on the back,28mm rear bars, standard front shocks. caster shims too, seams ok, High speeds can be a bit dodgy thou if there is a bit of wind blowing.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

19mm sway bar I will give one of them ago. I have no rear bar fitted on my bug at all are the easy to fit?
My bug is also level but lowered and she is stable as a rock at 100 mph.
But unfortunately over the last few days I've noticed that the bug is leaving big puddles of oil on the road under the sump plate but it's not coming from the sump. it's not dripping out of the gearbox bell housing so I take it that means it's not the flywheel oil seal? The oil is collecting on the forward side of the sump drain plate and the engine case bolt just forwarded of it but trying to find where it's coming from is hard. I still have great oil pressure and the engine runs sweet as a nut. What are the symptoms of a crank behind number 3 cylinder?.
The oil place I do know of an oil leak is from both rocker covers, they are both leaking onto the exhaust but they have always done that.
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

cylinders leak were they fit to the case.
You need to get it spot less under there , and drive very short journeys and keep checking it. I use petrol and a paint brush to degrease then blast it with a jet wash.
If its leaking from behind number 3 it will look like the crank seal has gone bad as the oil will seep out of the bottom of the case in the same place as if it was the crank seal.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

So if it was the crank seal (flywheel seal) or a crack behind number 3 the oil would be leaking out the bell housing?
If it is leaking between a cylinder and engine case what dose that mean ? One or more of the head studs have come loose?
I will give it a bloody good clean tomorrow and have another look.
PS I not losing any oil pressure at all
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

An oil leak from the fly wheel oil seal or a crack in the case behind number 3 will leak oil from were the engine case and the bell housing meet ,oil will drip on floor at the 6 o'clock point . Cylinders leaking oil will leak down the side of the case onto the pushrod tubes were they fit into the case, oil will then flow down past the tubes and down onto the floor. If the oil pump leaks the oil will Because your bug is going forward at a good rate of knots will leak onto the header and burn off. I would say if you have 1 good size puddle of oil its gunna be a single leak , multi leaks = multi oil puddles.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Oil leak is coming from the sump drain plate. 3 of the 6 bolts have pulled out if the case. In process of fixing now.
And a different not I want to help my crank case breath a little better. The first time I attempted this was when I broke my engine. What I did was to fun a 1/2" hose of the stock breather port on the oil filler neck and into the air filter but that was a bad idea cause that just caused detonation when boost came on most likely due to the hit oil mist it was sucking in. All I have no is nothing at all except a silly little air filter fitted on the stock breather port witch I think is causing more issues with the crank case pressure cause it's a restriction. So what I'm thinking is to vent the 3/4 cylinder rocker cover up to a box using an 1/2" hose then run another 1/2" hose of the stock breather port to the box as well, then run another 1/2" hose of the bottom of the breather box to the fuel pump block off plate. I can't vent 1/2 cylinder rocker cover cause that's where my turbo oil drain goes into.
What's your thoughts on this?
And how are you turbo guys venting the case?
Or Shaw I just remove the silly air filter from the sticker breather?
madmike

Post by madmike »

studs or bolts? if u run the bolts down from inside the case they can't come out :wink: or run the vent hose from the breather box to the Dynamo tower :wink: try that without tapping the 3/4 valve cover
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

To late all ready fitted new studs didn't think about running bolts down from the inside 👍
I will try connecting the stock breather to the box first and see how that goes.
I was always under the impression that the breather box had to be connected to vacuum to cause crankcase gases to be pulled out.
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

I have a 1/2 " barb fitting out the case ,and a 1/2" barb fitting on 1 and 2 rocker cover. No breather box ,just breathes to atmosphere.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I can't do 1/2 cylinder side cause the turbo drain goes there I could try it on the 3/4 side. Do you get any oil coming out of the cover vent?
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

No mist from the Rocker cover , a little from the case but not a lot to worry about.