My bug redoing old turbo setup, I hope!!

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
gwhaling

Re: My bug redoing old turbo setup, I hope!!

Post by gwhaling »

Is the cooler covering the fan? Sounds like a combo that is designed to murder heads to me...
[/quote]

No the cooler is deeper than the stock cooler by 1/4 inch. approx. The p.o. just left the removable air duct work off since it was in a sand rail. I will be reinstalling the ducting and extending it to fit the cooler. Will post photos of this in future.
gwhaling

Post by gwhaling »

Chip Birks wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:35 pm
gwhaling wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:10 pm Was debating improving my oiling system, noticed tonight the doghouse cooler on the 2276 I bought has a 7plate cooler hanging out of it. I need to seal it in better to the dog house and try running that. Its free. Motor is also full flowed with filter, will need new hoses depending where I mount the filter. Also the stock sump has been removed and its running a screen with a small center plate, like a mini sump. I hope this combo will work for near free for my first turbo setup.
Is the cooler covering the fan? Sounds like a combo that is designed to murder heads to me...
Chip, The cooler is not covering the fan intake, It just hangs out the back of the shroud in the stock position. The p.o. just left the duct work off, probably fine in a sand rail. I will be adding , modifying the ducting. Will post photos in future of this. Glen
gwhaling

Post by gwhaling »

rubenski wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:59 am Hi,

I was looking at your pics from mockup and notice the turbo being pretty low to dump the oil in the fuelpump blockoffplate.

Wouldnt it be better to install a deepsump and return into that?

Everybody always says the flow needs to be as unrestricted as possible!+
Rubenski, Yeah I am wondering if I will be enough above the fuel pump for a good return. I like the idea of returning to the top of the block above the oil level. Will go the return to added sump if need be. I have all winter to do the install.
thanks, Glen
gwhaling

Post by gwhaling »

I ended up getting a large flange 11/2 inch cheap empi header. Have managed to build, tack up a header pipe to mount my turbo in the position shown earlier. My plans of returning my oil to the fuel pump block off will not work. I will be adding a sump to my motor and returning the oil to the sump. Also I pulled the heads off the motor I purchased and after a quick cc/deck height check I am at 10 to 1 compression. I will be ccing all my chambers and hope/plan on getting my compression to about 8.5 to 1. Also I have decided to limit my boost to under 10 psi to help learning with carbs. will post more photos in the future. I have several month to complete this build over the winter. I am still reading and learning from all the info on this site. Lots of info/help here.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Can you return the oil to a valve cover???

I have been draining mine to the 3/4 valve cover for the same 6 yrs. without any oil drainage issues.
It's the gray 5/8ths inch hose under the turbo.

Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
gwhaling

Post by gwhaling »

Clonebug, Wish I had seen your replay before I ordered my sump. Having problems getting stud nut loose on oil pump pickup. No shock. Will try again with a modified wrench. I am pretty sure I can return to the side/rear of 3/4 valve cover like you show with a ok angle. Just cant get to 1/2 valve cover.
thanks, Glen
gwhaling

Post by gwhaling »

Have not posted in a while but have made progress at least on gathering parts. My main progress has been plumbing my bug for fuel lines. I chose to run under the pan. Working on fuel pump mounting and hoses. I have all the parts to finish my fuel system.
I have managed to get my cylinder heads to 63cc combustion chamber size with no problem, mainly by unshrouding valves to my 94mm bore. Should come in under 9 to 1. Lot better than 10.5 to 1. My main setback has been when I pulled the jugs off my motor and heard metal fall out of 1. Broke ringland on a good running motor. Crap!! Pretty big setback for budget, time. Just about ready to bite bullet and split cases on my new 2276 since I have it down this far. At least my bug has a good running 1600 dual port single relief in it for now.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Bummer. Might be worth pulling down just to see what you have there.
gwhaling

Post by gwhaling »

Here is a few photos of my progress on fuel system, zip ties are temporary. Hope the photos come out. One question I have is the malpassi regulator. I know, have read not mount in hot area. Is orientation a factor at all. I guess not but worth asking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
66brm

Post by 66brm »

Just Mount it somewhere that you can get to the adjuster to set pressure
gwhaling

Post by gwhaling »

Have not posted in a while. I split the case on my 2276, found a oil pump that was barely engaging cam, trashed flange on pump. Case was 3rd over on line bore and ready to spin #2! Cam was a engle 120.
Had a detour shortly after last post. Had been having nerve problems in my legs. After going through steps to get mri, had to have back surgery for herniated disc in late May. Set back both $ and recovery.
Just solved my case problem by ordering a aluminum case Thursday. Need to get a oil pump. Will see how tight the case feels with the pump I have.
Also I am planning on running the dog house cooler, considering putting another cooler in line with my oil filter.
Another question would be keeping the W120 cam? I would like a cam that can work with single valve springs, and perform ok without turbo setup if need be.
madmike

Post by madmike »

even the w120 requires duals ,, if ur gonna stick with the singles ,, maybe a w110 if you not reving it to the moon?
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

I have duals on my 1641 w110.

Now going turbo im going heavy singles

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A520F met Tapatalk

Better to be blown than to suck!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

rubenski wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:48 am I have duals on my 1641 w110.

Now going turbo im going heavy singles

Thats backwards thinking IMHO
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

My engibe builder says that a good strong set of singles are stronger than the ones i have now.

Better to be blown than to suck!