924 turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
oprn

924 turbo

Post by oprn »

Hi, I just aquired a used Porsche 924 turbo with thoughts of using it (eventually) on a type 4 1911cc engine. I did a search in case someone else has already paved the way here, with no results.

My questions are:

How well do these units work?

Are bearings and seals available for these turbos?

I will have to clean it up to find make and model if it has one.
Thanks for any replies. Merv
Clonebug

Re: 924 turbo

Post by Clonebug »

The 924 turbo is a KKK K26 turbo.
It is over 30 years old and while it probably will work for a 2.0 l engine it would need to be in good shape in order to make it worth trying.
Those cars were known for turbo issues due to most people not knowing how to take care of them.

If the turbo is in good shape and does not have any play in the shaft area.....or very little......you might as well give it a try.

I myself prefer a Subaru turbo due to the fact they are newer technology and easily available not to mention cheap to purchase.
I have paid a max of $60.00 for any turbo I have and most I pick up for about $20.00.
The best part of a Subaru turbo is they perform very, very well for the price.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
oprn

Post by oprn »

The turbo was free so I was just mostly interested in seeing if someone else had used one and parts availability for it. It would need bearings and seals I'm sure. I just thought that with the engine close to 914 spec, a 914 tach in the dash, 944 brakes and trailing arms, Fuchs wheels, a 924 turbo would be kind of cool.

I have not run across Subaru turbos for that kind of money but I suspect bearings and seals fail in those too. Lots of VW TDI turbos advertised here but seldom for less than $300. They should be close enough in size for my engine too.

I will ask about KKK parts on a Porsche forum.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Almost any turbo will work......to an extent.
The question usually is....how well will it work.

There are a few ways to pick a turbo.

Free......great way but sometimes cost more than it's worth if they need a rebuild.

Ask the experts.......and pay their price.

Run the numbers.......a more mathematical way but not always cheap. You need to come up with a hp target and then pick a turbo that will flow enough air to meet your max target hp in the rpm range you want to run it.

Swap Meet.......My favorite way to find a turbo.......I can hold it in my hands and wiggle the shaft to see how good a shape it's in. I can also measure the size of the compressor inlet and turbine outlet to determine if it is the correct size.
Any turbo that has too much play in the shaft gets put back down and I walk away swiftly to keep from taking it home with me due to a dirt cheap price.
Any rebuild is going to be a minimum of $495.00 if you send it in.
I feel no turbo is worth that unless you are racing and want the best of the best and money is no object.

The reason why I use a Subaru turbo is because I am on my third one and each one has performed very well for my use.
The first one lasted 2.0 years before the bushings went out.
The second one went 2.0 years until I installed the third one. The second one is a spare but it doesn't put out enough boost for my addiction so it will be a last resort spare.
I have two more TD04L-13T turbos as spares also.
I also have a TD04-9B which is a dinky little thing but I couldn't pass it up. (I'm saving it for a twin turbo project)

I also bought a Holset HX-35 turbo that Mario now has which came from a Dodge Pickup......I might have to try and buy it back from him......it was too cheap to pass up.......

If You can find a WRX/Forester TD04L-13T turbo for $100.00 and it is in good shape you would be getting a good deal. They are perfect for up to 2.0 L and 270 hp. There is a kit you can buy that will bump them up to over 300 hp but boost builds about 300 rpm later.

Any of the Garrett T-3 turbos might be a good size for a 1.9 L engine. They come in different sizes so do the research.

TDI turbos are for diesels and might or might not work for your setup. Check the clocking on them since they usually can't be changed to work with a air-cooled setup.

Turbos are fun and addicting.....don't say I didn't warn you.......;)
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
oprn

Post by oprn »

I am quite aware of how addicting turbo power can be, I turbo-ed my VW Rabbit back in the early '80s. There is no other way to get the HP/dollar out of an engine that a turbo gives. My wife drives a Suby turbo too. The addiction is why I am somewhat hesitant to do that to the Buggy.

A turbo by the way could care less what fuel the engine is running on as long as it's seals are compatible with that fuel if the fuel system is upstream of the turbo. Cooling system could be an issue if the turbo has a water cooled bearing housing. The reason I am considering a TDI turbo is that the engine displacement is close but more importantly the power curve of the TDI matches the stock VW engine better than the Subaru does. The boost will be in sooner and at a more useful rpm. 3000 to 6500 on the Suby compared to 1900 to 5000 on the TDI.

Two years but the way is pretty poor turbo life in my opinion. Especially on a car that is not year round daily driver.

I did some price checking locally. Used Subys $300 and up, new ones list $800 to $1200 depending on which one. A slightly used TDI on Kijiji just now for $250. No swap meets locally. Rebuild kit for the KKK is $85 on Flee bay.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

That first turbo was from a 1987 Subaru GL turbo Wagon with who knows how many miles.
It cost me Twenty bucks......
The second one was from a 1986 GL Turbo wagon at 25 bucks. Most Subaru wagons I have seen usually have 200,000 plus miles on them.
I would say I got my money's worth out of them.
I'm at about 32,000 miles of turbo goodness now in six years of messing with them so they have been problem free.
As long as I have cheap spares I won't bother rebuilding.

If you can rebuild the KKK for that price go for it.
Just make sure the compressor or turbine wheel hasn't touched the housing.

Please start a build page here.....we love turbo projects and pics.
oprn

Post by oprn »

Yes I will but don't hold your breath it may be a while. I need to finish the engine first, I am building it very much on the mild side. I am done with the whole "normal" engine hot rod scene, big bucks for very small gains and large drivability losses.

So this is a mild build with a modest cam, compression ratio and some Webers. In a car as light as the Buggy it may be sufficient. If not it will be quite compatible with some mild boost pressures. I have come to accept my masculine short fall and no longer feel the need to compensate in other ways.

Translation: - I'm an old fart! :mrgreen:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I'll wager that I'm probably older than you..... :wink: :lol:
madmike

Post by madmike »

"Old Guy's Rule" :lol: and I'm 63 :wink:
oprn

Post by oprn »

I'm right in there with you Mike!