Does this seem like a lot of vacuum?

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Does this seem like a lot of vacuum?

Post by buguy »

I need to pull my carb to go through it from sitting for so long, but before I do I wanted to check the vacuum because I don't remember what power valve I put in there. Seems like it was a 6.5 but it was like 10 years ago so I just can't be sure. Anyway, the idle was a little high and I did turn it down after the video but the vacuum was still the same. I was just surprised to see that much. I had the gauge hooked to the tee that goes to my boost gauge.
Also I have the rest of the tins in primer almost ready to paint so I can get it on the road.
https://youtu.be/h57BZObpq-Q
Dan Dryden

Re: Does this seem like a lot of vacuum?

Post by Dan Dryden »

I would have thought that a strong vacuum is a sign of a healthy engine.
risk

Post by risk »

I have a combo boost/vacuum gauge on mine.. I regularly get -20 to -30 on decel. Idle (900-1100 rpm) will be more like -10 to -15.

I use the vacuum side of the guage as a broken ring/cracked cylinder detector haha
buguy

Post by buguy »

Can't be that healthy! I haven't been kind to it. It was supposed to be a 40,000 mile engine when I started this adventure. With no wideband I can't imagine I haven't gone learn before. But the plugs are always pretty black so maybe I'm pig rich?! Haven't put many miles on it yet though.