Draw through turbo icing trouble

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
advinnie

Draw through turbo icing trouble

Post by advinnie »

Hi all, this is a shout out for help to all you lot running a draw through turbo set up on your air cooled cars
Who are you lot dealing with icing?
The temperature in the UK 🇬🇧 today fell to 4 degrees and I decided to take the bug out for a spin all was good for five minutes then I last the idle, then she started to run bad then she stalled. Had a look and the carb and intake before the turbo was covered in iced how are you lot over coming this ?
UKLuke72

Re: Draw through turbo icing trouble

Post by UKLuke72 »

They all live in California :(
buguy

Post by buguy »

Haha! I dont! I live in Florida!
I think a lot of guys are plumbing the oil line to the turbo either right on, maybe even in the intake. The heat from the oil keeps it toasty!
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Look for an oil heated intake manifold!
Better to be blown than to suck!
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I have this manifold but I’m unsure of the thread size I know it’s not a BSP so I’m hoping it’s a NPT thread?
Also should be run the Oil line from the Oil pump up to the manifold then back down to the oil filter, if I do it would be easy cause it’s all 1/2” hoses or use the turbo oil feed but if I use that I would have to set up from a very small oil line to a 1/2” one so it will fit the manifold then set it down again to fit the turbo ?
Having issues posting photos 😡
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

This is the only photo I can post
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Yes that's a CarCraft intake. NPT :wink:
run the oil out of the pump to intake then back to the filter :wink: did this on my buggy ,SS braided line goin in Black hose coming out
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Cheers but unfortunately I can’t use it cause there just isn’t enough room between it and the fan shroud to put a union
madmike

Post by madmike »

OK , you have two choices, find a not so efficient 'slanted' fan shroud or take a grinder and 'Notch your shroud" for a 90* fitting? :wink:
and make it work :lol:
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I will make it work 😁
Buggsy

Post by Buggsy »

You could do what all car manufacturers have done for the last 60 years. Build a loose fitting box around a couple exhaust header pipes out of sheet metal. Build a sheet metal box around your air filter, or install a Weber turbo hat. Connect the two with some of that high temp tinfoil looking flex tubing. Yes, it'll be ugly, but you can remove it in the Spring. If your icing up in just five minutes, I don't think piping oil to the intake is going to help. Crankcase oil doesn't heat up that fast when it is really cold outside.
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Good idea
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Looking into that now 😁