What compression ratio should I be running on a turbo bug

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
advinnie

Re: What compression ratio should I be running on a turbo bug

Post by advinnie »

Yes it definitely has .36 stamped on the hot side and .46 on the cold. Itโ€™s a airesearch turbo
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well that should work pretty well then. Mine is a 42/48 and its a bit too big.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Just thought when I was running the turbo cylinder three was only producing 50 psi on a compression check so only three cylinders where powering the turbo all of the exhaust gases from number 3 cylinder was coming out of the crankcase breather ๐Ÿ˜‚
buguy

Post by buguy »

When I first built mine, when I put my heater boxes on the forward cylinders I was too far up and only had one bolt in it. It was blowing all of it out to the atmosphere! I was sad when it wouldn't build boost! ๐Ÿ˜ญ worked a bit better once I put the exhaust on!
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Well new pistons are here and have just finished putting them on heads should be with me early next week so I will get them ccโ€™ed and see what compression ratios I will get them grid the barrels into the heads so hopefully the engine will be done by xmas and in the car by new year ๐Ÿ˜
buguy

Post by buguy »

Nice! You move faster than me!
madmike

Post by madmike »

Do it a favor and 'Balance them Pistons' :wink: :lol:
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

All ready done mate ๐Ÿ˜
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Is this port for meth/water injection nozzle?
If not what is it for
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Hell if I know ? :roll:
Don't know where Art placed his?
Got any Distrucktions for the W.I. Kit? :lol:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Water Injection is not usually used in a draw through turbo system. The fuel being pulled through the Venturi on the carb achieves somewhat the same thing.
In order to run W/I on a draw through you would want to spray it after the turbo.You would then need a solenoid that can stay shut in vacuum to keep the engine from pulling water out in normal cruise conditions. That is about 10-20 lbs of vacuum on my boost/vac gauge when driving off boost or coasting off throttle.
Therefore you need to design the system to work that way. I have one nozzle below the throttle plate and one above the throttle plate. one kicks on at 5 lbs and the second kicks on a 9 lbs.

The problem with a draw through is you don't know what your IAT's are under boost so you would be guessing how much water to inject.
I watch my IAT's and use the calculators online to set my injection amount.
I am at 3.0 gph at 22 lbs boost according to nozzle size.

It will cost between $200.00 and $450.00 to get a correct WI system depending if you build it yourself or buy a complete system.

I recommend a 300 psi pump from "Devil's Own" and their nozzles and then build the rest yourself. You can get the pushloc 1/4 inch fittings from a local Hydraulics Store or maybe Hardware Store and use the 1/4 inch clear plastic line too.
I used an old lawnmower tank as my water storage....it was free.......
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Cheers mate. I think what I have to do first is see what my intake air temperatures are. Anyone got any photos of how they have fitted there air intake temperature sensors ?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Usually the only way you can get your IAT's is if you have EFI with all the cool logging capabilities.......another great reason to upgrade...... :wink:

PLX has a Intake temp sensor and if you had their O2 sensor with multigauge it would be a simple add on and you could read it right on the gauge.

I have their AFR O2 and the EGT gauge outputting into my multigauge.

http://www.plxdevices.com/Wideband-O2-T ... 002719.htm

IAT sensor.

http://www.plxdevices.com/Air-Intake-Te ... 002214.htm

With that style of sensor it might read too slow for boosted applications but it does state for intercoolers and aftercoolers.

My sensor is a GM intake sensor with an open end and is very fast reacting. It displays on my TunerStudio and I can also log it along with any other data I desire. So far it has worked even with my WI spraying water/Alcohol on it so I guess it could handle fuel too.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Cheers mate
buguy

Post by buguy »

Where would you take your readings at on a drawthrough? Surely the intake itself would be cold as hellโ„๏ธ!
Maybe down wind of the turbo?