Turbo this baja discusion

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
terryly

Re: Turbo this baja discusion

Post by terryly »

Hey Clonebug can you point me in the direction of this where/what to search
Use that ECU to your advantage and run an EBC with multi boost settings on a multi-position switch like Mario posted about a long time back.
You can dial in different levels of boost and add your water injection or not.

I have a good feeling about this it just may work
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

http://thedubshop1.mybigcommerce.com/12 ... -trim-pot/
Mario can also hook you up with the boost control valve. The rest is just wiring, 3 wires to the switch, and 2 wires to the valve. Then deal with the ecu settings. I built my own switch, didn't really need 12 boost settings, i have 5. So far I've had mine as high as stage 3. Works really well though.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Chip pointed out the switch....I knew it was in a thread somewhere but finding it on Mario's website works.
You don't have to have all those positions.
I have two switches on my dash.....One turns on and off the Water Injection......It just cuts the ground signal to the Hobbs switches.
The second one cuts the ground signal from the ECU to the "Fast Acting" Solenoid....or "Boost Solenoid". Mine happens to be a GrimmSpeed brand I got for free from my Brother's Son.... off of a WRX they had for a short while.

There are many ways to hook it up and mine is one.......Mario had it set up for different boost levels and it might come in handy to limit a Baja to a certain power level in different conditions.
It all depends on what you want to mess with.....you do have to set it up and tune each setting which probably isn't too hard.

For $29.00 you can just install the switch and use a couple positions and have the others available to add to it later......
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Thanks Conebug and Chip Burks will have to check into that and try to out figure which way to go when I have time. More question and opinions later as I progress :D Had a good day today in my travels at work i was able to pick up a turbo with no perceptual shaft play :lol: {amateur opinion} it is almost same # 14412AA530 instead of 14412AA560 I wonder what the difference is Or where to find that info. Then I was able to stop at the air-cooled shop and get some 2 bolt flanges for # 1 and 3 exhaust tubes and a 3 bolt flange for the collector. And on way the home hit up the Suby dealership up for a Turbo inlet and outlet gasket so i can make some flanges as Clonebug did. Going to acquire some 3/8 :?: plate tomorrow. I think my 3 bolt collector outlet is larger than the turbo inlet so that it will need to " neck down" . Do i need to try to "cone it down some how ? Or bottle it up at the collector with a tube/pipe that is the same the turbo inlet size? Having trouble visualizing this and don't have access to buggy exhaust till the weekend :x Oh well
Until later all the best
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Good info in this thread!
Better to be blown than to suck!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Looks like a 14412AA230 to me....Nice score. It looks close enough to the WRX turbo.
It's still the TD04L CHRA so it might be slightly different on the sizes of the wheels.

You can get 2 inch flanges like I used on my sedan header. That way it's an easy transition to the TD04L.
The Subie turbine inlet is actually 1 7/8th inch but you can either weld the 2 inch to the outside of the flange or redrill the hole to slide the 2 inch into it. Iside diameter of 2 inch 16 gauge is about 1 7/8ths or close enough.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Indeed it Is Clonebug I was pointing that it is not quite As the one buguy showed a photo of previously. I almost left it there because it was a different # :roll:
buguy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:05 pm I believe the TD04L is 03' to 07' WRX. Check eBay for flanges. Item #252051138861 are the ones I bought.
Also I would have no problem paying $200 for one with no shaft play. I paid $50 for my T3 10 years ago and fought it ever since. I bet I spent 500 hours trying different things to try to make that thing work. What's my time worth??!!
This is the turbo your looking for. Save the image and then you can just zoom it to get whatever numbers you need.
Well off to work hope to pick up some plate for inlet and outlet turbo flanges 3/8 cold rolled steal :?:
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
buguy

Post by buguy »

Should have ordered those from ebay. $29 to your door and they are perfect. Exhaust flange is 3" and inlet is 1.92"
terryly

Post by terryly »

Ya I looked at those buguy I think he did not ship to Canada and it is a good chunk more cash with shipping/ duties etc. Thanks for the info though. I will know more tomorrow when I look at it :lol:
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
buguy

Post by buguy »

Oh I didn't realize you were in Canada. Too bad. Making flanges sucks.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Ya a little more pain sometimes not having access to direct/free shipping and such Always seems to take forever Oh well Happy Turbo thoughts
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
terryly

Post by terryly »

Hello Was able to drag Baja out of snow. had to use side x side to get in shop as tore up a trailing arm.

Removed current Intake set up and let it thaw out :D

Then removed muffler from Tri-Mil headerand cut some flange shapes

Then I messed around with placement of the turbo and tried to imagine what to do about pressure plumbing and placing a Water to Air intercooler
Then I removed the exhaust and my buddy clamped it together about where we thought it might go with a piece of scrap pipe :P

Next I removed the skid plate, rear cage and motor. Put the motor on engine dolly and rolled the baja back out till I get some front end parts or Inter cooler and plumbing parts QUESTIONS TO FOLLOW :lol:
:?: Looking at this header flange it has a relief cut into the bolt holes is this just good practice ? It is a 5/16" flange :?:

That's all for now I dropped the ball and did not take pics of motor out and on the engine stand Sorry :oops:
Going to try and talk Water to Air intercoolers with you knowledgeable folks then research what will be needed for my application sizing best practice etc

Take care fellas need sleep
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
buguy

Post by buguy »

That's good progress! I've only seen one other set of flanges out there like that with the cut. I'm not sure what the benefit would be.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I think the slot is for dis-assembly, one can make the hole slightly larger if needed to escape the stud. In line log manifolds tend to use oversized holes to deal with thermal expansion. I see no draw back in that especially with that nice thickness.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Agreed. At that thickness there won't be warpage either way.