Turbo this baja discusion

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
terryly

Re: Turbo this baja discusion

Post by terryly »

You should look for a WRX turbo. The TD04L-13T-6 would be a perfect match for your engine.
Thanks Clonebug Can you explain to a newbie why you think this would be the perfect match? Going to try and check one out. What should a guy look for in one? Any idea what years? This will be a good start for me to get my hands on a turbo!! Then I could start to figure what to do for the exhaust and flange. I do like the look and simplicity of the CB Baja style turbo header[would like to try to find more images] Going to look into getting the flanges collector ,bends and tubing and see if I can roll my own>. Suggestions for sources shopping list and design ideas are all welcome and appreciated.
If you did go turbo you could easily get rid of those ITB's and run a single TB for simplicity and good low end.
WHAT YOU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS AHH now your killing me Clonebug I really dig those throttle bodies , they are like music when they come on song, they really fit the theme of the baja,I already have them , there paid for,I probably shouldn't be trying to make a Turbo charged intercooled fuel injected baja for even more simplicity :wink: I could probably come up with some more excuses> Did i mention I really dig those throttle bodies !!
Thanks for the advice Clonebug
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
terryly

Post by terryly »

Don't be afraid of run big deck in them heads ,, Cooper gaskets are your friend :lol:
Thanks madmike I was trying to think of a practical ways of getting the compression down a little. Have to find and go through my notes I remember building it with a tight deck. Can a guy dish my AA pistons or others for a little more ? have any insight to this.
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

terryly wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:15 am
You should look for a WRX turbo. The TD04L-13T-6 would be a perfect match for your engine.
Thanks Clonebug Can you explain to a newbie why you think this would be the perfect match? Going to try and check one out. What should a guy look for in one? Any idea what years? This will be a good start for me to get my hands on a turbo!! Then I could start to figure what to do for the exhaust and flange. I do like the look and simplicity of the CB Baja style turbo header[would like to try to find more images] Going to look into getting the flanges collector ,bends and tubing and see if I can roll my own>. Suggestions for sources shopping list and design ideas are all welcome and appreciated.
If you did go turbo you could easily get rid of those ITB's and run a single TB for simplicity and good low end.
WHAT YOU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS AHH now your killing me Clonebug I really dig those throttle bodies , they are like music when they come on song, they really fit the theme of the baja,I already have them , there paid for,I probably shouldn't be trying to make a Turbo charged intercooled fuel injected baja for even more simplicity :wink: I could probably come up with some more excuses> Did i mention I really dig those throttle bodies !!
Thanks for the advice Clonebug
Terry
Because they are clocked perfectly for a baja or Buggy install.......

.....Or you can get the clocking bracket like I did and get it to point up at 70 degrees or build the turbine inlet with a slight angle to acheive a 90 degree straight up for whatever install you want. I used the clocking to put a ghetto intercooler on it....

Added an intercooler....

This is my third Subie turbo and I haven't found one that I didn't like......this one is doing 22-24 lbs on a 1679......your 1900cc engine is about as close the the stock 2.0L engine it came off of that you can get.
Trust me.....you will have boost as low as 2000-2200 rpm or lower........perfect for a Baja Bug where you need the low to mid range torque.

Mine builds boost at 2400 rpm so yours should definitely be even lower.

The only reason I said to get rid of the ITB's is for simplicity......If you want to keep them it's up to you.

Plus it gives you more room for IAT intake cooling for when your new addiction takes over common sense and you just "HAVE" to turn up the boost cuz 6 lbs. was oh so good......but...but....what would 10 lbs be like......13 lbs........15 lbs.....22 lbs...... :shock: 8)

When my buggy hits 23 lbs. it is :shock: :shock: :shock: arms straight, hold on and don't look anywhere but the road in front of you.......until the clutch wouldn't hold............ :( :( :(

Here is a short video of a test run......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7BQwtjg9ss
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Incredible what you have done with your motor I have enjoyed your videos and the evolution of your buggy makes me smile.Your a bit of a inspiration
Now back to looking for flanges and tube any one got sources
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I buy my tubing from Mandrel-Bends.com. Great service and nice stuff. Not sure how it would work for Canada.

What you can do for flanges is get some 3/8ths inch plate and build your own. I have done that. I just went to my local Subaru Dealer and bought a set of gaskets for the turbo I was using and then used that as a pattern to cut and drill my flanges. I takes a little work and a few cutting wheels along with some grinding but it can be done.

A buddy of mine made the last set and they were nuts on for my turbo. It took some fab out of the job for sure.........
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I'm in the airport going home from Gatlinburg. When I get home I will find a link to those flanges I bought. They were like $20 for the pair.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Thank you this place is cool They take collector building to the next level. they even have a air cooled turbo builder kit add 4 exhaust flanges a collector and turbo flange. This has definitely got my attention any need to go this fancy on the collector ? they have some good vids showing how to fab their parts
http://www.coneeng.com/mufflers.html
Spent some time here looking at air/water inter-coolers definitely a good resource
http://www.frozenboost.com/air_water-ic/
Also burnt some time up here Devils own. Will probably use a their high pressure pump and injectors and make the rest of the system. Lots of time to decide this near end of build
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/
May try to hit up the junk yard and see whats there for a TD04L-13T-6 turbo tomorrow
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
buguy

Post by buguy »

That's the item number to the flanges I got. I didn't see a way to copy an eBay address.
I looked at those cones too. Then I actually just downloaded an app on my phone that helps figure cones too. I was looking because I'm considering building a blow through system next and I would need a way to make a 4bbl intake for the blowthrough.
Also I got lucky and picked up my 13T for $30 at a swap meet. Typically I see them on Craig's list for about $100. EBay usually $150-$180 for a new Chinese turbo.

Also this place has bends and tube I was looking at because they have the small diameter tube all the flanges, collectors, and gaskets. I need to measure the outlet size of the exhaust on my engine. I have a 1 3/8" header now but I think if I can go 1 1/4" I will. Depends on the outlet size on the engine. Never bothered to measure before.
http://www.greatplainsas.com/scexhaustparts.html
terryly

Post by terryly »

Thanks for the reply's guys Sorry for the late response. I managed to dislocate my shoulder which really slowed me down for a week. Then the temperature dropped from + 10-15* C to - 20-30*C and a ton of snow. Not the best conditions for junkyard shopping with a bum shoulder. So trying to come up with a plan of attack. Did a bit of searching on turbo exhausts pre- built and fabricating them suppliers etc. Decided for now I am just going to use my TRI MIL 1.5" Bobtail merged header Get or make a flange to mount a TD04L-13T as Clonebug has suggested. Weld the 4 primary's at the collector and flange the #1 and #3 exhaust tubes for removal. I would like to make a adapter/spacer to go from the collector 3 bolt flange to the TD04L-13T... 3 bolt flange pattern. My reasoning behind this is that it will allow me to continue to run the baja NA while I collect my water/air intercooler and put together a water/meth injection system. Also doing it this way will make it easy to unbolt the muffler and mockup the turbo intercooler and plumbing needed I have plans of running boosted by summer after next so 1-1/2 years. The car runs great right now with the fuel injection and I would think with a early spooling turbo, low to moderate boost and attention to intake air temps I can pick up a good chunk of power and still have manners :roll: Well that's what i keep telling myself :wink: Ok not gonna lie I just want to hang a turbo off the rear in front of god Grandma and every one 8)
Sound like a reasonable strategy ? Comments good/bad advice. Here is the header I have
I realize
Chip Birks wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:55 am One thing to note, boost will make the 4 widebands on that engine worthless. They don't compensate for a pressurized manifold, which will cause their reading to get funny. There are very few per cylinder wideband systems out there that will compensate correctly. AEM makes one, and now so does 14point7.com. I have the one from 14point7.com, its called the Megaspartan.
I realize i will have to sample AFR after the turbo and would like to run a muffler Thanks Chip
terryly wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:32 am
Don't be afraid of run big deck in them heads ,, Cooper gaskets are your friend :lol:
Thanks madmike I was trying to think of a practical ways of getting the compression down a little. Have to find and go through my notes I remember building it with a tight deck. Can a guy dish my AA pistons or others for a little more ? have any insight to this.
Terry
So i was looking through my build notes and found that I had .015 deck and used shims to get a .063 deck and 56cc chambers on a 82x92 for a compression ratio of 9.2:1 With a engle 110 cam at 3500 feet
Question how big a deck could a guy run ?
with a .100 deck 8.5:1
.120 deck 8.1:1
Can AA 92 Hypereutectic thick wall p/c be notched or dished probably not would have to step up to the forged
Later Guys
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Why don't you just run it the way it is and give it a try for a season. You can still put boost to it at 9.2:1. With a 110 cam your dynamic compression is going to be a little lower.
I can almost guarantee you will be happy even if you only run 10 lbs. boost.

Look at my dyno sheet and see what my torque numbers are for a 1679cc engine at 2500 -3000 rpm and beyond....now go to theSamba "Engine build/combo Sticky" and you can see what kind of gains in mid range you will get with a turbo by comparing those numbers with anything on all the pages of that thread......with your bigger engine you will have even more.

Use that ECU to your advantage and run an EBC with multi boost settings on a multi-position switch like Mario posted about a long time back.
You can dial in different levels of boost and add your water injection or not.

I have a switch on my dash that limits my engine to stock wastegate and I can also turn off my WI. I can go anywhere at that setting and I still have 112 whp and 133 lbs of torque.

You don't "HAVE" to run High Boost...... :wink: 8)
buguy

Post by buguy »

I agree. Even running stock waste gate psi that thing should haul. Although at -20*-30*C you have plenty of time to do some fab work before it warms up enough to drive it.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Thanks Clonebug and bugguy Thought about it last night and while at work today I like that Plan. Stumbled on a local Subaru tuner shop in my travels I was hoping they may have flanges for custom work that was a bust. but what they do is import Subaru engines trans and other parts from Japan. These engines they import or always low mileage. Now depending on how much of the engine was sold eg dressed not dressed short block long block he seems to have several low mileage TD04L- turbos :D Had a couple in my hands. He sells them for 300 I was thinking a 100 got him to 200 and if he went to 150 I would be sending you pics of a new turbo :lol: It is mighty tempting I may go back and pick one up. Our local pick n pull charges 75 and I get to remove from donor car if I can find a suitable one. So maybe his 200 low mileage turbo isn't so bad a deal. Going to stop at the dealership tomorrow and see if i can pick up gaskets to make flanges. Any body know a model I can give them.I am getting pretty stoked about this.
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
buguy

Post by buguy »

I believe the TD04L is 03' to 07' WRX. Check eBay for flanges. Item #252051138861 are the ones I bought.
Also I would have no problem paying $200 for one with no shaft play. I paid $50 for my T3 10 years ago and fought it ever since. I bet I spent 500 hours trying different things to try to make that thing work. What's my time worth??!!
This is the turbo your looking for. Save the image and then you can just zoom it to get whatever numbers you need.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

14412AA360 is the number you want for the TD04L-13T. There is another one that is 14412AA560 that is really close that will probably work too.
Look at the clocking of the turbo and check if it is adjustable to fit your setup.

If the turbo has a Compressor inlet of 1.5-1.75 Inches and the same on the turbine it will more than like be a good turbo for a 1600-2000 cc engine.

The Turbo pictured above has a stock wastegate setting of 6.0 lbs and is an excellent start to the introduction of turbocharging.

Check out the clocking bracket I used if you want to point the turbo up and use the stock internal wastegate flapper and diaphram.

This turbo will support 270 crank hp.......don't let it's small size fool you.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Good info guys thanks I will try and stop by tomorrow I am sure it was the same as bugguy pictured. if it is the same I will pick one up. Instead of giving me gift cards for Christmas that get left in my wallet all year the family gave me a little bit of cash earmarked TURBO so I had 340 bucks added to the turbo kitty. Thanks to my observant wife and loving family
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil