What gauges are a must on a draw through turbo bug

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
advinnie

What gauges are a must on a draw through turbo bug

Post by advinnie »

Hi all was just wondering what engine gauges should/ are a must on a draw through turbo bug?
I only have a boost and oil pressure gauge at the moment and a save my bug Oil temperature dip stick and was wondering if I should fit a EGT, CHT, IAT gauges as we
buguy

Re: What gauges are a must on a draw through turbo bug

Post by buguy »

I mentioned it in your other thread, but you really really really need a wideband. I think even with the wideband it's tough to get a carb right. Without it your just guessing. Head temp probably wouldn't hurt to have either. I don't think intake temp would do you much good on a drawthrough. I have also read that there are some people that can tune by EGT but not me, so maybe that would be best left to someone that knows more than me about it.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Hi mate I do actually have a wideband ready to go in just need to get the bung/sensor holder welded in the exhaust. I was using a innovative LM-2 once every other week to keep an eye on things but it still went wrong 😡
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I have an EGT sensor and once I saw the readings I really don't pay much attention to it anymore. As long as it is in the safe zone that is........
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Bummer! I was thinking of doing mine that way too. Get it tuned and then pull it off so I don't jack the sensor being in there all the time. Guess I will leave er in. I suppose though when things go wrong it happens when your well into boost and maybe too late to do anything about it.
Maybe since your in the mood to spend some money you could put water/meth injection on it and have some real fun!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

My old draw through car had boost, fuel pressure oil pressure and a tach. The gauges were pretty worthless though, I never really watched them.

The best monitoring device I have ever used is my ECU. It watches the "gauges" way better than I do, it also can see them all at once. I have 4 widebands, 4 cht and 4 egt. Not to mention half a dozen other temp sensors, and a few pressure sensors on top of that. More than once the ecu has saved the engine by cutting spark when boost went too high, or afr went too lean. Best investment I've made. I have one gauge in my car thats a digital AFR gauge. Its mostly there just for tuning purposes. Doesn't do me any good when driving aggressively, I'm watching the road, not gauges.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Where did you get that ecu from sounds good.
Yes I’m also looking into water/meth injection but as of yet I’m not to shaw where to get the kit from.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I think most of the kits are pretty much the same. I see lots of people using the "snow performance" kit. Then you need to decide what you want to run in it. Seems the best (cheapest) way if you want a 50/50 meth/water mix is getting a 5 gallon jug of meth and mixing your own. Just have to remember that you mix them by weight. Meth and water don't weigh the same so you have to do some math. You don't have to mix it 50/50 either. If you want closer to 25-30% meth you could use the window washer fluid. It just has to be the one rather for 20 below zero or something like that. Summer stuff is mostly water.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Cheers mate
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

My ecu is a MS3-Pro. A standard MS3 is just as smart as the Pro. A few of us have built our own water/meth setups using multiple manufacturers. I built exactly what I wanted rather than pay more for something that isn't quite what I was looking for. I used Devils Own parts, as well as parts from Aquamist. But just like everything else on my setup, the ecu is running the show. No external controller.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I will look into building my own.