Turbo 1964 Variant (squareback)

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
sidemarkers

Re: Turbo 1964 Variant (squareback)

Post by sidemarkers »

I'm using a stock intercooler from a dodge daytona. It is a compact bar and plate design which would be considered small by today's standards..small but it just so happens to fit my space constraints perfectly. Although intercooler flow is important, delivery to and from it are also important. From turbo to throttlebody there is maybe 3 feet of piping and only a single 90 degree wide radius coupler.

The air cleaner is located in my fender and isolated from the engine bay heat. One time a coupler came loose and I was pulling hot air from the engine bay and it made a HUGE difference. This was before I had the head gauge, but the oil gauge was running hotter and the intake air temp was much hotter than normal the idle was dropping and the engine lost crispness. What I figured out through the years is that the heads depend on external cooling with the fins, but also need the internal cooling with a steady supply of cool (non-hot) air through the intake manifold and head ports to maintain their cool. A mist of water under load goes a long way to prevent the spiking too.

By 1 psi a turbo engine is flowing more air than a naturally aspirated engine at WOT. There were water injection systems for N/A engines that would start injecting in high single digit vacuum. with a properly adjusted quality progressive design you shouldn't feel any bog, on the contrary you should feel a surge of power. I'm curious to see my head temps come summer in Phoenix.
Last edited by sidemarkers on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

From what i've read, water injection is useless in a N/A engine?
Better to be blown than to suck!
petew

Post by petew »

Not so actually. A few british cars had it. It's just the effects are not as dramatic as on a turbo/supercharged motor.
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

Water injection aids in controlling the burn, which could benefit all combustion engines.