Turbo 1964 Variant (squareback)

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
sidemarkers

Turbo 1964 Variant (squareback)

Post by sidemarkers »

I posted some questions on the site and a few members requested more info on my car. The variant has been a daily driver, in different forms, since 1993. Besides my 1966 work van in my avatar this is my only vehicle I've owned since then. Daily driven by myself and regularly with my 3 kids.

Body: 1964 variant I bought painted from bugorama in 2001 sitting on a 1969 pan running IRS with modded/welded brackets

Transaxle: Super beetle single side plate 3:88 R&P .77 4th freeway flier/ bus cvs/ swayaway axles/ Berg intermediate mount/ Tilton double disc/ Stock pressure plate

Wheels & Brakes: 4 wheels disc/ 17X7 motegi forged wheels (11lbs each rim) 4x100 bolt pattern/ 205/40/17 tires

Engine: 2276 mag case 1 piece forged crank/ h beam 5.5 rods/ Mahle pistons total seal rings CB lightweight wrist pins/ 8.5 CR

Heads: 42&37.5 valves/ ti retainers/ non-welded d ports/ dual hi rev springs

Valvetrain: 1.5 autocraft rockers/ dual taper alum pushrods from AC.net/ lash caps

Cam: 110 lobe center/ .500 lift/ 250 dur @ 50/ lightweight lifters from CE

Turbo: T3 super 50 (swapping for a t3/t4) internal wastegate (controlled by Innovate controller) Dodge Daytona intercooler w/spal fan/ Bosch bov/ cool air intake filter tucked in the fender

Intake: Ported CB 2 inch endcastings w/ bosch green giant injectors/ homemade intake, 2 inch Ford throttle body

Engine Management: SDS EM4 from 2003 fuel and spark timing/ crank trigger & GM style coil packs/ AEM water/methanol injection

Suspension: Switching to type 1 conversion beam with air bag/ rear 3 inch atomwerks drop plates and stock snubbers/ IRS

Car is using std doghouse cooling with external RX7 oil cooler tucked into the fender and modified type 3 engine lid.

Currently programmed for 19 lbs boost on 91 octane. Tried to keep a subtle look to the car and tuck things out of the way in the engine compartment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sidemarkers on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.
turboedbug

Re: Turbo 1964 Variant (squareback)

Post by turboedbug »

sidemarkers wrote:I posted a some questions on the site and a few members requested more info on my car. The variant has been a daily driver, in different forms, since 1993. Besides my 1966 work van in my avatar this is my only vehicle I've owned since then. Daily driven by myself and regularly has my 3 kids in it too.

Body: 1964 variant I bought painted from bugorama in 2001 sitting on a 1969 pan running IRS with modded/welded brackets

Transaxle: Super beetle single side plate 3:88 R&P .77 4th freeway flier/ bus cvs/ swayaway axles/ Berg intermediate mount

Engine: 2276 mag case 1 piece forged crank/ h beam 5.5 rods/ Mahle pistons total seal rings CB lightweight wrist pins/ 8.5 CR

Heads: 42&37.5 valves/ ti retainers/ non-welded d ports/ dual hi rev springs

Valvetrain: 1.5 autocraft rockers/ dual taper alum pushrods from AC.net/ lash caps

Cam: 110 lobe center/ .500 lift/ 250 dur @ 50/ lightweight lifters from CE

Turbo: T3 super 50 (swapping for a t3/t4) internal wastegate (controlled by Innovate controller) Dodge Daytona intercooler w/spal fan/ Bosch bov/ cool air intake filter tucked in the fender

Intake: CB 2 inch endcastings w/ bosch green giant injectors/ homemade intake, 2 inch Ford throttle body

Engine Management: SDS EM4 from 2003 fuel and spark timing/ crank trigger & GM style coil packs/ AEM water/methanol injection

Suspension: Switching to type 1 conversion beam with air bag/ rear 3 inch atomwerks drop plates/ IRS

Car is using std doghouse cooling with external RX7 oil cooler tucked into the fender and modified type 3 engine lid.

Currently programmed for 19 lbs boost on 91 octane. Tried to keep a subtle look to the car and tuck things out of the way in the engine compartment.
Nice rig! Post a side shot of that hot rod...please

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Turbo!
petew

Post by petew »

Interesting stuff. Never seen a squareback set up with a T1 fanshroud. I'm amazed by how much room you have behind the engine there. Wish I did!
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

petew wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:50 pm Interesting stuff. Never seen a squareback set up with a T1 fanshroud. I'm amazed by how much room you have behind the engine there. Wish I did!
Originally was thinking of a fastback but found the '64 variant body for a great price. Ended up being a good decision because I can drive with my 3 kids, pick up groceries and still have room for a bicycle in the back!
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

turboedbug wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:19 am Nice rig! Post a side shot of that hot rod...please

Semi side shot. Did you have rear drop plates on your subie conversion?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

sidemarkers wrote:
turboedbug wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:19 am Nice rig! Post a side shot of that hot rod...please

What ya mean on drop plates?

Turbo!
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

turboedbug wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:27 pm
sidemarkers wrote:

What ya mean on drop plates?

Nevermind. I bought some used atomwerks drop spring plates from someone with a subie bug, it probably wasn't you. I've been putting them through the paces they are holding up pretty well.
Wally

Post by Wally »

What a great looking car!
Early squarebacks are so cool! Properly modified too, me like! Well done.
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

Glad I got the boost controller. Hanging out at the mall with the kids.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Nice lookin "sleeper' ya got their 8)
Udo Airbus

Post by Udo Airbus »

I really like this ride a lot! Nice work!

To my personal taste the wheels should be dark and the roof also blue :oops: :mrgreen:
VW T1 1964 - Mouse Grey - Pearl White OG paint

Bagged, Porsche steeringrack/brakes..IRS, 1915cc
gbaker770

Post by gbaker770 »

Very cool car
slowsixtyduece

Post by slowsixtyduece »

Thanks for sharing and nice looking ride! Im really interested to know the following:

-how you are getting 19psi on 91 pump gas w/ no detonation? Im not seeing pics of your intercooler, is that quite efficient?
-how do you have the water/meth setup - when do you start spraying, how much of a temp drop do you see, etc?
-what are your head temps usually running at?
-what kind of timing you are running?

I have a similar setup (2276, T3/4 turbo, SDS Efi, etc) and would love to hear your answers.
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

Cool, glad you like it. The intercooler is tucked into the fender with a spal fan and a sheetmetal shroud. The fan also works to a lesser degree to draw air into the engine bay and cool the turbo. The pic shows the piping from the turbo leading in the direction of the intercooler to the right of the fan. The piping leaves the intercooler to the left of the fan and heads to the TB. Kinda stealthy but mostly functional. The stock type 3 louvers on the fender are used to draw the outside air for the intercooler on the driver side and the other fender for the air cleaner.
I'm running an AEM progressive water injection setup and I have it coming on at 1 lb boost and it gradually increases with boost pressure.
Head temps are usually 200's to low 300's. Under boost they don't spike when using the water injection.
I add timing at high vacuum and pull it under boost. All the RPM timing is in before 3000 rpm. 34 degrees.
If I hear a grumble I just pull timing until the grumble is gone.
slowsixtyduece

Post by slowsixtyduece »

sidemarkers wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:16 pm Cool, glad you like it. The intercooler is tucked into the fender with a spal fan and a sheetmetal shroud. The fan also works to a lesser degree to draw air into the engine bay and cool the turbo. The pic shows the piping from the turbo leading in the direction of the intercooler to the right of the fan. The piping leaves the intercooler to the left of the fan and heads to the TB. Kinda stealthy but mostly functional. The stock type 3 louvers on the fender are used to draw the outside air for the intercooler on the driver side and the other fender for the air cleaner.
I'm running an AEM progressive water injection setup and I have it coming on at 1 lb boost and it gradually increases with boost pressure.
Head temps are usually 200's to low 300's. Under boost they don't spike when using the water injection.
I add timing at high vacuum and pull it under boost. All the RPM timing is in before 3000 rpm. 34 degrees.
If I hear a grumble I just pull timing until the grumble is gone.
Thanks for the info! So what kind (brand) of intercooler did you install? Your head temps seem to run extremely cool...how do you manage to keep them that cool? I normally see 350-375 head temps at normal operating temp when under light load. Sometimes I even see 400 if its a long climb. It of course plummets once the throttle is closed.

Do you notice any engine bogging when you start injecting at 1 psi? And are you in Phoenix or somewhere else in AZ? I used to live in Chandler, but from Prescott originally.