Schedule 40 pipe

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Schedule 40 pipe

Post by buguy »

Anyone ever messed with that stuff? I was looking and saw you can get 90*, 45* bends and straight pipe pretty reasonable. A quick search says wall thickness of schedule 40 is usually .140" which is twice what most exhaust is. I was thinking that might be a better material to make a header with. Should be damn near like a cast log manifold and hold up for a long time. Would be heavy though. Seems like it would hold heat well too. Wadda ya think?
Oh.... And also I saw that 1 1/4" schedule 40 is actually right at 1 3/8" inner diameter. Just right for a small engine.
turboedbug

Re: Schedule 40 pipe

Post by turboedbug »

buguy wrote:Anyone ever messed with that stuff? I was looking and saw you can get 90*, 45* bends and straight pipe pretty reasonable. A quick search says wall thickness of schedule 40 is usually .140" which is twice what most exhaust is. I was thinking that might be a better material to make a header with. Should be damn near like a cast log manifold and hold up for a long time. Would be heavy though. Seems like it would hold heat well too. Wadda ya think?
Thats the stuff i used for my compound turbo build on my cummins a few years back and has been holding together great.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Turbo!
buguy

Post by buguy »

I've been trying to find some info on it. I've seen a few of the Honda guys use it on their short manifolds. Also noticed the 1 1/2" is 1.9" od which might work well since my new turbo flange is 1.92" opening. Would make an easy up pipe.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

If your looking into mandrel bend stuff. Columbia mandrel bending has some decent priced stuff

www.mandrelbends.com

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Turbo!
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I have a few good sources for mandrel bends.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Well pipe your gonna use 'Well pipe' really? :lol: :lol: :lol: just messin with ya,,,happynewyear,,, if it works go for it :wink: with my motor hangin outback I went with a ceramic coated Carcraft last year cost me $400. very happy with it,
buguy

Post by buguy »

Happy new year to you!
I'm not sure what I want to use yet. I'm a bit concerned about the weight of schedule 40.
I love the look of yours! Not sure i could get them to make me one out of 1 3/8" pipe and the flanges I need. Plus I'm considering trying blow through. I've read several times people don't recommend it for some reason. I'm not sure why though, there are lots of blow through Holleys out there. If I go blow through I want to run the turbo low though. Just not so low I have to run a scavenge pump. So I just have to make up my mind. I suppose if I was smart I would just leave it as is until I go FI, but really if I build a new header it should cost me less than $150 in material.
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

Thought of schedule 10 instead?
buguy

Post by buguy »

I ordered mild steel mandrel bends instead. But schedule 10 would surely be a good choice. I think pipe would be a nice strong long lasting alternative to exhaust tube.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Lots of stainless sch 40 bends at http://www.allpurposepipes.com. nice stuff.