limit boost for town driving and lock out at Highway speeds

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: limit boost for town driving and lock out at Highway speeds

Post by Clonebug »

In my opinion..........

You would be very disappointed if you go for a turbo bigger much bigger than your hp target.

The idea behind a turbo is to give you a boost in low to mid range torque and big torque at higher rpm's until your cam and intake is exceeded.

If you are looking for 300 CFM then a TD04L-13T is the turbo for you. It is capable of 394 CFM and 270 plus hp and has excellent street manners.
Once you feel the boost helping even when short shifting you will be hooked. With the bigger engine you won't need as much throttle opening due to more power N/A so you shouldn't build boost until you mash it.
The 20 to 30 year old turbos are probably worn out and also why would you want something like that when you can get new technology so cheap.
There are many MHI type turbos and even IHI turbos like the RHB6 or the TD05 but those in my opinion are getting too large.

Turbo placement is the issue and where you put it is going to dictate what turbo and what you need to modify to make it work.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

While I don't disagree that a TD04 will work for you, I think you should take a good hard long look at what you want and/or will want. That turbo will be great for the 10-12 psi you talked about. But what about when you do that.... And feel that boost come on?! Knowing that 10 more pounds of boost and your then at 300 hp! That's when that turbo won't work. Its pretty rare to see a guy come on here and ask about boosting, then build it, make his 10-12 pounds, and go on his merry way. It's more often he builds it, and a couple months later starts asking about running more boost. That's our disease!
theKbStockpiler

Post by theKbStockpiler »

I want to run on mid octane, probably use a intercooler and that is about it. I don't want to go beyond a 1.9 and wan't it to spool a little late.
Super beetle with attitude
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

theKbStockpiler wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:59 am I want to run on mid octane, probably use a intercooler and that is about it. I don't want to go beyond a 1.9 and wan't it to spool a little late.
EFI?
buguy

Post by buguy »

That was my next question.
theKbStockpiler

I'm planning on adapting as much of a 914 speed density system as possible. I will probably use a different ECU to drive the injectors.
Buggsy

Post by Buggsy »

theKbStockpiler wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:48 pm I'm planning on adapting as much of a 914 speed density system as possible. I will probably use a different ECU to drive the injectors.
I think you would be happy with a K03 or a K04. They were used on Audi A6 cars, so there are hundreds of them in the yards. Ebay has lots of them for sale for under $100. They are Chinese turbos. Before the regular posters freak out, many thousands of these Chinese turbos have been sold, and the majority of them have been OK. For $86 for something brand new, I would certainly take the chance. The Audis were 1.8 and 2.0 liter engines and made 160 to 200 horsepower. If you get a K04, and it doesn't spool fast enough, spend another $86 and get a K03. It appears the flanges are all the same size, so easy swap out. I don't see anything wrong with an integral waste gate. The OEMs all used them, and at 8 to 10 pounds boost, can last 20 years. This gives you $100 to spend elsewhere on the car. You can always add an external spring to an integral wastegate and up the boost. I don't know if these have a carbon seal, but I seriously doubt it. Looks like they can be clocked 3 or 4 ways and retain the wastegate. Good luck! :D
theKbStockpiler

I have not been to a yard in the last 4 years but , the auidis and other expensive cars don't make it to the scrap yard around here. Buffalo and Syracuse is much better but too far away. They probably get auctioned off by insurance companies.
Thank you for all the info and the other posters as well. I have a much better idea of how to go about this now.
theKbStockpiler

I just got a rebuildable TD14HL-15G from Ebay for cheap. I can't believe how compact it is. I wanted a T3 from a early ford turbo but they seam like a money hole. Most of the waste gate ports are cracked and are missing the waste gate as well. I want to upgrade it to a T19 or T20 with one of these kits.

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/kinug ... eel-2.aspx

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRITDT-Upgrade ... 0005.m1851

They look like the exact product with about $100 price difference.