let's talk compression : UgH!

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
terryly

Re: let's talk compression : UgH!

Post by terryly »

Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
Buggsy

Post by Buggsy »

I've probably read every post in the Forced Induction since 2001. It is very rare to hear someone say they picked the wrong cam in their new turbo engine. Why? Because the gains you get when you go turbo are so dramatic, it just amplifies what you were running before. If you're a high RPM guy and like big cams, and you go turbo, the gains will be huge horsepower at high RPM. If you like smaller cams and the driveability that goes along with that, the gains will be huge low and mid range torque. Almost everyone that goes turbo has had a built engine or two before, and has an idea what they want from their car. When you go turbo, you get twice as much of that. You also gain on the other end of the RPM scale too, so don't worry about the cam to much. If all else fails, you really can't go wrong with something around 280 to 285 advertised duration in a street car.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Buggsy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:39 pm I've probably read every post in the Forced Induction since 2001. It is very rare to hear someone say they picked the wrong cam in their new turbo engine. Why? Because the gains you get when you go turbo are so dramatic, it just amplifies what you were running before. If you're a high RPM guy and like big cams, and you go turbo, the gains will be huge horsepower at high RPM. If you like smaller cams and the driveability that goes along with that, the gains will be huge low and mid range torque. Almost everyone that goes turbo has had a built engine or two before, and has an idea what they want from their car. When you go turbo, you get twice as much of that. You also gain on the other end of the RPM scale too, so don't worry about the cam to much. If all else fails, you really can't go wrong with something around 280 to 285 advertised duration in a street car.
Can this get stickied? Just this post :D
petew

Post by petew »

Same motor, same capacity (1600), same turbo, same heads, same cam (TCS-10)...
I first had dished top pistons with 7.5:1 comp ratio.
I then swapped over to stock Mahle flat tops (for other reasons) so the comp ratio went up to 8:1.
What I noticed straight away was how much snappier the motor was off boost. Additionally, it got into boost earlier thanks to slightly hotter exhaust temps. For a street motor I wouldn't go below 8:1 unless it's a huge stroker.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I'm surprised you could feel the difference with just that little bit of bump.
theKbStockpiler

Post by theKbStockpiler »

It looks like a Turbo specific cam is not nessesary. Here's Crower's webpage with a few cams that have a LSA of 110.
https://www.crower.com/camshafts.html?cat=127
Super beetle with attitude
petew

Post by petew »

buguy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:46 pm I'm surprised you could feel the difference with just that little bit of bump.
Surprising but yes. It was pretty laggy prior to that. Course I've since improved the tune and it's better still. But think about it, every extra bit of compression you add is a little more efficiency and punch. ACVWs are not know for efficiency to begin with. A little more makes a big difference, hence the joy of throwing a turbo on. :wink:
madmike

Post by madmike »

I've been saying this for awhile :wink: :lol:
buguy

Post by buguy »

I guess it just finding that balance that works best for each person.
Buggsy

Post by Buggsy »

Realize that Petew gained his squish area back when he got rid of the dished piston. That may have been more of a gain than the compression increase. Some guys don't seem to know that using a dished piston is no better than running a big deck. If you don't have two fairly large flat surfaces coming within .040 to .045 of each other, you don't reap the benefits of a close deck. I am making the assumption that the entire top surface of the piston was dished and not just a mirror image of the combustion chamber. You can get this squish area with domed pistons (squishy pistons) also. Stating the obvious to most of us, but I have seen indications that some were not aware.
petew

Post by petew »

^Wow. I didn't know that. Makes sense. I think you're comments on the shape of the piston are spot on too. Can you explain why the "squish area" makes more difference?
theKbStockpiler

Post by theKbStockpiler »

without the squish area the air/fuel mixture does not mix at well unless at high RPMs. It acts like a crude pump to force it out to the inside of the cylinder.
Super beetle with attitude
buguy

Post by buguy »

So instead of squishy pistons can I just add material to my combustion chamber that mirrors the shape of my piston? FYI I've never even seen a VW piston!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Vw pistons are pretty boring. Just round with a flat top.
terryly

Post by terryly »

not yours squishy guy
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker