EFI parts gathering

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: EFI parts gathering

Post by Clonebug »

That harness he has quoted for $379.00 is for a MS-3 with sequential fuel and spark. You don't need anything close to that.

Figure out what wiring you want or need and have him get you a quote.

You need these wires in your harness....with connector plugs

VR
CLT
IAT
TPS
Inj X 4
Coil 2 wires for trigger. Coil A and Coil B....supply your own power wire from the original coil power.

Next you will need a Relay Cable if you want the Relay Board. I personally like them...others do not.

The relay board is a little over $100.00 and the relay cable is about $80.00

Get the Coolant sensor and the IAT sensor while you are at it.

Everything else you can wire yourself if you don't mind buying a few or dozen rolls of different colored wire, soldering torch, solder, wire stripper, wire cutter, heat shrink tubing, zip ties by the thousands and solderless connectors in multiple sizes and wire gauge.
You will also need a bunch of wire terminals other connectors to make everything look nice and easy to disconnect.
There is a lot of planning and forethought to wiring a system and you might end up doing it a couple times over because you had a brain fart building it the first time.
It's not really complicated but there are many ways to do the same thing and you have to figure out which way you are most comfortable doing it.
I put my stuff all under the hood of the buggy for a couple reasons.
One to keep it dry and two so I could easily access it and not have to contort myself to get at it under the body.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah placement is definitely a big consideration. When I wired in the PLX and was making the bracket and fitting it, I realized how close to 50 I'm getting. My car is pretty low and if I was to do much work under the hood again I would just take it off! I'm leaning towards going under the back seat. I can easily remove the drivers seat to gain some room to work. Another good reason to try to do it once and be done.
But I really don't think I would mind doing the wiring too much. I think like you said, I need to do some careful planning because I would like to try to keep the wires as hidden as possible. I am going to get the crank fire from him. I was just going to get the kit and have the guy at work machine my pulley but my pulley isn't in great shape. No sense in cheaping out there. I know it would just bother me until I just got a new pulley anyway. Might as well get it over with.
But do I want to let the MS control the water injection and boost control too?!
buguy

Post by buguy »

I'm also struggling because mine smokes so much now. Just doesn't seem to like the draw through much. Or maybe the o-rings are worn and letting oil past I don't know. My plan was to drive it while I gathered parts, but I don't know if I could deal with the smoke. It's not terrible, but it does bother me. So now do I buy/build a header and blow through the Holley? I would just have to modify the intake. Or just leave it down and start the MS and do it as I get parts??!! Oh the dilemma!!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I can't even remember what turbo you run........It would be best if you start a dedicated build thread so all the info is in one place. It's much easier for someone that wants to help to get the lowdown on what you have in the first place.
A build helps in at least two ways.......It helps the builder keep track of what has been done therefore recording what works and what doesn't.....and it helps the reader follow along a make it easier to comment or help.

Vinnie would be well advised to do the same thing.

I used to put jets, mileage and boost level on almost every post in my build to keep track of the changes I did....It allowed me to go back and see what worked and what didn't.
I still put mileage down to keep records of how far I go.........it also proves that it actually gets driven.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I have a build thread. Maybe now that I have a better understanding of what I want for efi I will go back to it.
buguy

Post by buguy »

When I see something like MS2 extra, what is the "extra"? Is that just with some add-ons or something else?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

buguy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:12 pm When I see something like MS2 extra, what is the "extra"? Is that just with some add-ons or something else?
There is megasquirt b&g and then there is the extra code. B&G is the reason why people roll their eyes when you tell them you are running megasquirt. Extra is how others have tried to fix it
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Extra is the evolution of the original MS ECU configuration. You want "extra" for the added features.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I don't think I have ever seen it offered anywhere. Does it go by another name, or maybe version #?
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Extra consists of a couple of minor wiring/set-up modifications to the ECU, and then loading the revised software. The capabilities of the standard MS (whichever version you choose) covers the basics - ignition & fuel injector control. The "extra" updates provide more features and control options, for instance boost control. You can always build the ECU to the extra configuration and not use the features, add them later if desired. If you build "standard", you're more limited to the basic functions. You can always update/mod the ECU to Extra later if desired (like I did). When I built mine, MS1 was going thought the "extra" development (trying to expand on the basic built-in features) and MS2 had just come out, incorporating many of the desired features from MS1-extra. When the MS2 built-in features weren't enough, MS2 also went into the-extra development phase. When assembling the ECU, you either use the standard build manual, or the MS-Extra manual (no mixing and matching!), and then load the correct software for the chosen build process.
Anyone providing a pre-assembled MS ECU should be able to build it whichever way you want.

One other thing to keep in mind - if you're thinking of also using the MS relay board, it won't be able to keep up with the -extra features so you may end up with wiring "bypassing" the RB and going directly to/from the ECU for the new features. Kind of defeats the purpose of using the RB - something I've run into on my build.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Thanks a ton guys. This is all starting to make sense
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

There are a bunch of extra input/outputs on the board you can use. They just don’t go through the terminal strip.
I’m using one of them for my fan control output.
I think there are 8 of them.
If you go to MS-3 with sequential fuel and ignition it might not be worth using a relay board but for a standard setup it works great.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Basically, don't waste time with the standard code. Its not very supported, its user base gets very little traffic. MS3 was developed by the Extra folks. It doesn't even have a standard b&g code.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Check this out buguy I don't know if this applies but worth a sniff. Might have what you need for a 4 cyl
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 94&t=52752
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync