EFI parts gathering

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
sixty5slug

Re: EFI parts gathering

Post by sixty5slug »

I'm almost done gathering. Just waiting on my flange crank to show up. Not sure what's taking Scat so long.

Holley Dominator Standalone EFI
Holley sensors - MAP, IAT, CLT
Smart Coil CNP
Dubshop Crank Trigger Kit
Dubshop Cam Hall sensor
Accufab 2.75" TB w/ TPS
Holley EFI pump and regulator
Holley Peak and Hold injectors
Holley Boost control solenoid
NTK O2
Aluminum Super case 6 headstuds and sleeved lifters, flange cut, 411 mains
46x40 CB Comp Eliminators ported with Ferrea Alloy valves and beehive springs
Comp E injected manifolds
Sheet metal intake plenums (on top of manifolds)
Jaycee long cylinders
AC.net C pin height Squishies 94mm
Scat 5.7 H beams
Shag Cam and lifters
Shag billet wheeled T60-1
CE straight-cuts (no less than a work of ART)
Frozen boost liquid to air IC (in package tray)
Tial wastegate
Modified RLR Header
Sheet metal intake plenums (on top of manifolds)
RLR Rev6
...and being built, 091 drag gearbox.

Might have missed some crap but you get the idea.

This is my secondary (maybe even tertiary) project falling behind my Chevy II (blasphemy, i know) and CanAm Maverick turbo.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Very nice. I look forward to hearing how you like the Holley EFI
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Sounds like a wicked build, why such a large TB? That will flow enough for 280hp NA, it wont take much throttle movement to make a big change in RPM.
Good Luck
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
sixty5slug

Post by sixty5slug »

woodsbuggy1 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:59 pm why such a large TB?
The throttle will live in two positions. Idle and WOT.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

That should be perfect for you. I sometimes forget that not everyone needs to take off from a stop in the middle of a steep hill, or try to keep a steady speed on rough trails. :oops:
Kenric
buguy

Post by buguy »

Damn. I just dug out my laptop that I haven't used in quite a while. Of course the battery is junk. Guess I better get one ordered so I have it when the time comes to tune. I've been using my phone and a tablet my wife bought me. Although I don't remember now what it was (I would assume MS3) but I know guys were talking about being able to use a tablet with one of them.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Slug,You must be going for 9 or an 8 second pass with that combo ,,,Nice
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Dang buguy - you reminded me I hadn't looked at my laptop in quite a while. Battery was drained, but seems to be re-charging OK. I got this cheap Toshiba a couple(?) years ago just for using with MS. I couldn't find the log-in password once I got it going, had to do a full reset - but the only thing I had on it was whatever version of MS-E was current at the time and a couple of start-up files (also saved on my daily use desktop - so no big loss). I'll need to load in the latest MS-E updates anyway. Whew - dodged that bullet!
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yep. We probably have the same Toshiba! I looked online and the batteries are cheap. So I will order up a new one. Mine dies as soon as I unplug it.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Dang. I've really been learning towards building my own MS, but the more I look the more the math doesn't work for me. After buying the stim, the cost is pretty much a wash. I haven't figured in any of the extras yet, but I doubt I ad much anyway. I'm thinking about adding map daddy now just so I don't have to do it later. Tach output and maybe one or two other standard stuff. I still may do it myself, but it's not looking good.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

It's a fun "project", modern day Heathkit. When you factor in the build costs, don't forget a really good (controllable heat level) soldering iron - with tiny tip, fine wire solder and flux, good VOM, plus magnifying headgear and you really should use an ESD mat and ground strap for this kind of work (although I doubt most go to this extreme). It does give you a good understanding on what is located where on the board, plus the satisfaction when you perform the assembly tests and then hook it up to the STIM and tuner studio and see it work!
Last edited by GS guy on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

I know how that can go, I bought a kit a MS1V2.2 several years ago and a Jimstim, I ended up trading some parts to have everything soldered up. It can be overwhelming when you are the designer, engineer, and in charge of all of the fabrication. For me, it has worked much better to have Mario take care of the Megasquirt and several other parts, then I can focus on the parts and details specific to my build. I have learned a lot and made lots of mistakes in my EFI/ turbo journey. The best advice I can give you is, find a build that works and steal as many ideas as you can. :twisted: I have learned so much from Clonebug, and try to use as many of his ideas as I can. :D 8)
Good Luck
Kenric
buguy

Post by buguy »

I just don't like the helpless feeling I would have if I don't know how to fix it. Kind of like the one I have with my truck. Luckily I have a warranty on it though!
I've never been a fan of having someone else do my work. That's how I think I have learned to do so many different things. The question is, how many of those things are half assed because I did them myself when a pro probably would have been smarter.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

woodsbuggy1 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:01 pm I know how that can go, I bought a kit a MS1V2.2 several years ago and a Jimstim, I ended up trading some parts to have everything soldered up. It can be overwhelming when you are the designer, engineer, and in charge of all of the fabrication. For me, it has worked much better to have Mario take care of the Megasquirt and several other parts, then I can focus on the parts and details specific to my build. I have learned a lot and made lots of mistakes in my EFI/ turbo journey. The best advice I can give you is, find a build that works and steal as many ideas as you can. :twisted: I have learned so much from Clonebug, and try to use as many of his ideas as I can. :D 8)
Good Luck
Kenric
Thief!!!!! :wink: :lol: 8)

I have gone through all this on buying the ECU and I too ended up having Mario do all the ECU building plus I buy as many of his parts as possible.
The end result is that ......they work.....and darned well too.

You can't beat his harness either for a clean look and ease of install. All you have to do is run each individual section and wire tie it all together for a professional look when you are all done. There is enough wiring to do for all the extra stuff you want to add to keep you busy engineering how to fit everything.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I'm having a tougher time with the harness. That's pretty high $$$ for me. But maybe if I had a regular DIY harness in front of me looking at it I would be happy to pay more for his. I don't know? I've never seen either. But the cost difference is huge.