Some timing advice

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
advinnie

Some timing advice

Post by advinnie »

Hi all I’m back and still have some issues with my 1600 turbo bug randomly missing and I think I now know why but need some advice on how to fix it.
I’m running the CB performance black box for my ignition and although I’ve contacted them they have not been much help. Anyway the way to set up the black box ignition system is to set the engine to 70 degrees BTDC and them a-line the distributor body to the rotor with I have done and then start the engine and make sure that the black box and the engine timing (using a flash gun ) are the same witch they are but in the photo below you can see the position of the rotor with the engine set to 10 degrees BTDC and the rotor is so far away from the notch in the distributor body witch is where number one lead is I’m surprised it’s even firing at all.
Any ideas on what I can do?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clonebug

Re: Some timing advice

Post by Clonebug »

The black box needs the 70 degrees of lead time to process the info and send the spark to the distributor.
Do as the instructions say.
Have you locked the distributor ???
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Yess, you have to install the lockout washer under the screw in the dizzy. I have one to, ask if you need any help?

I had some issuses due to bad ground strap from batt to chassis.
Better to be blown than to suck!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Just like my trigger wheel gap with the EDIS would lead TDC by 9 teeth and my MS-2 direct fire also leads by ....I think around 80 degrees.(Mario's trigger wheel gets it close and then you adjust it exactly in the TS software.)
It tells the computer that #1 cylinder in coming in a specific time and to send the spark at the degree of advance or retard that your timing map specifies. The rest of the cylinders get their spark at the specified interval of how many cylinders the engine has.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
jonnysname

Post by jonnysname »

if the distributor is locked out and its still that far away and your running points u can try opening the gap on the points so they trigger earlier.you will have to re time it after u adjust the points gap tho,if you do the timing on it again tell me what all 4 cylinders timing numbers are.