Intercooler efficiency

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Amurray

Intercooler efficiency

Post by Amurray »

At idle do you consider and air to air intercooler to be efficient at 67% efficiency? My air to air intercooler range between 67 and 71% efficiency at idle. I'm not sure yet how it performs while driving or when I'm in boost. Also I have yet to use the CO2 while in boost. I have seen that the CO2 removes 42° F temps @ idle.... Ambient temperatures were around 80° F @ that time. When I go to the track I'm going to use dry ice pellets to see how that works out. I wonder if I can get the temperature back down close to ambient while in boost with an air-to-air intercooler? I KNOW WISHFUL THINKING with an air-to-air intercooler HUH :roll:
Dan Dryden

Re: Intercooler efficiency

Post by Dan Dryden »

I wouldn’t think that measuring efficiency on an idling engine would bear any resemblance to running at high rpm, full load and X psi boost pressure.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

There is no heat rise in an idling engine except for what the turbo will transfer to the air.

I normally see approximately a 20 degree rise in ambient at idle and a little less at non boosted cruise.
It is somewhat dependent on the ambient air temps....the lower the less rise.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
petew

Post by petew »

Amurray wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:04 pm At idle do you consider and air to air intercooler to be efficient at 67% efficiency? My air to air intercooler range between 67 and 71% efficiency at idle. I'm not sure yet how it performs while driving or when I'm in boost. Also I have yet to use the CO2 while in boost. I have seen that the CO2 removes 42° F temps @ idle.... Ambient temperatures were around 80° F @ that time. When I go to the track I'm going to use dry ice pellets to see how that works out. I wonder if I can get the temperature back down close to ambient while in boost with an air-to-air intercooler? I KNOW WISHFUL THINKING with an air-to-air intercooler HUH :roll:
Well I guess that depends on placement and air supply. Where have you got it mounted? Pics?
Amurray

Post by Amurray »

It's to much of a hassle to post pics on this forum. But my intercooler is mounted in the rear above the Trans.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Amurray wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:23 pm It's to much of a hassle to post pics on this forum. But my intercooler is mounted in the rear above the Trans.
I'm still using Photobucket...... :lol: :lol: 8)
They can't cancel my paid account I had before they changed their terms of service. They keep lowering their prices for a 3rd party hosting and I figure by August when my time is up it might be cheap enough to purchase again....... :D 8) :wink:
It's getting closer..........
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
petew

Post by petew »

Amurray wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:23 pm It's to much of a hassle to post pics on this forum. But my intercooler is mounted in the rear above the Trans.
I have to say, I think that could be part of your issue. I couldn't believe the amount of heat floating around in there when I had my intercooler (water to air) radiator used to be. Never worked well. I always had issues with heatsoak and then it would take an hour on the freeway, with cool air to come back down again.
Amurray

Post by Amurray »

Trust me my set up works and works quite well. I'm glad I did not listen to the nay sayers on this and other forums. I like to think outside the box. I never wanted to use a water to air intercooler. The fans under my intercooler is like a hurricane and I'm spraying CO2 when I will be at the track. I'm monitoring the air coming out the turbo and before the throttle body. This car was built to put on the street but in full drag form.....it has in it E85, Comp Elm, LN Engineering Nickies cylinders, GT35R turbo, EFI, air to air intercooler, H2O/Meth injection, Mendeola and the list goes on and on...... I'm just not experienced enough to know what to expect from this car YET But I do talk to the experts. I have a long list of people to thank for getting me to this point. Shout out to Ron Lummus, Kris Lauffer, Clewett Engineering, Ray (my engine builder) you have always been there for me, Rancho Performance, Pauter, Demello......you can catch me on YouTube testing things out @.......do a search on "Anthony Murray VW" 3 videos so far but more to come....I'm not sure the HP of the car yet but currently I'm on a 15lbs waste gate spring. The booster controller is off at this time untill I go back to the Dyno with a new REV6 dual clutch.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

You have six posts on this forum.......how could anyone be a naysayer on here???

How many miles you have on your setup???

It's missing a few parts.....like doors, seatbelts, windshield......along with all the other glass.

Those vids were posted a week ago so how many miles you actually have on it???

Just doing a couple burnouts and hitting the rev limiter is not "Works quite Well" in my book.

Looks like it could be a nice car when it's done but you have a lot of work to do before you can honestly say it works "Quite Well".

Post a video of the dyno run and engine specs once you get to that point.....we all love big power.
Amurray

Post by Amurray »

LOL I have old Post on this forum that goes back to the 90s anyway. The car was getting repainted so the painter wanted the doors and the windows removed. I had to change my login for reasons I'm not sure of but.....its all there. I'm good..I'll keep doing me. I just wasn't sure about the normal temp when monitoring the intake temps from the intercooler. ✌️
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

What is this CO2 that you are using???

Are you blowing Carbon Dioxide onto the intercooler????

If you are running an ECU you should be able to log a run and then look back and see what your intake temps are at idle, cruise or on boost.

I usually run intake temps of 80* F at idle or cruise in fall and spring and 100* F at idle and cruise in the summer.
The turbo will raise IAT's about 20* F but I haven't had a chance to log much since I have gotten my intercooler installed.
The little testing I did I saw about a 30 degree drop in temps from 135-140* to 107* at 20 plus lbs. boost.
That shows about a 76% efficiency so far but the real test will be in the summer.

On the dyno runs we did in December I was seeing IAT's of about 65* F at 20.5 lbs. of boost.
Amurray

Post by Amurray »

Yes I am blowing carbon dioxide (CO2) onto the intercooler when racing. The fans under the intercooler are on above 1200rpm and doesn't turn off until below that point. When using CO2 the intercooler is VERY cold you could actually see it ice up. I did not get a chance to use the CO2 on the Dyno because the clutch was slipping. But the fans did there job. This is why I'm going with the REV6 from RLR.
petew

Post by petew »

Just watched your 2 step vid. Your neighbors must love you. LOL :D
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Sweet ride, love the 2 step!
Better to be blown than to suck!
panel

Post by panel »

Amurray wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:04 pm My air to air intercooler range between 67 and 71% efficiency at idle.
Just curious how you came up with this ?
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians