Diverter valve question

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
dunegoon

Diverter valve question

Post by dunegoon »

A friend sent me a box of parts and I agreed to help him put it together. The previous owner used this Bosch diverter valve 0 280 142 102 as a blow off valve. I need to confirm it's installed correctly. After hours on the Internet searching, I'm at a loss. Since the Dellorto carbs were dripping in external fuel and dirt, I'm concerned this valve was in backwards and not functioning correctly. To the left is the intake pipe, a small K&N filter was on the end pointed down in the photo below.
20180420_182533SMALL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sideshow

Re: Diverter valve question

Post by sideshow »

From what I can gather they work both ways, use the one that leaks less.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I have been using that same valve or one exactly like it as long as I've been turboed. That's been over six years.
My boost goes into the side of it and the vented side is what I call the bottom.
So I would say he had it backwards compared to mine.

I followed a Volvo site that used that valve.

Mine is actually from a Saab but Porsche also used that valve on some of their turbo cars among others.
It's held up to lots of boost and many miles......plus it only cost me about $12.00

Here is some info on it.....

http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~amh11 ... _valve.htm

Just make sure you run a filter on it because it is open during vacuum conditions. They are actually designed to be vented back into the intake before the turbo to keep them quiet and to keep from letting dirty air into the system.
The technical term for them would be a "Bypass Valve".
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
dunegoon

Post by dunegoon »

Thanks. And thanks for the nifty link.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Clonebug wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:51 am Just make sure you run a filter on it because it is open during vacuum conditions. They are actually designed to be vented back into the intake before the turbo to keep them quiet and to keep from letting dirty air into the system.
I wasn't aware of this, and I run the same BOV that you do. Better get a filter ordered up. Do all BOVs act this way? I don't recall seeing filters on the end of the more expensive horn looking ones.
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Mine can't be filtered, but it is also held closed by a spring when under vacuum.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

The fancy chrome plated ones are a BOV......The Bosch valve you and I use are technically called a "Bypass valve.
A BOV blows off to atmosphere for the cool Whoosh sound and has a spring strong enough to keep it closed except under very high vacuum conditions like shift and throttle lift.
A Bypass valve has a weaker spring and is open in high vacuum conditions like idle and cruise along with throttle lift during shift....but is meant to vent back into a closed intake to keep the noise down for the granny turbo drivers.

The Bosch Bypass valve is a 1" inlet and outlet and is quite easy to find a little filter for it. I use one that was designed to filter a valve cover.
Look on Summit or your local Flaps might still have them available.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.