Custom hide away header

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
HunterS628

Custom hide away header

Post by HunterS628 »

Hi guys. As i am nearing the end of my EFI conversion i am now gathering parts to add a turbo. I have a built 1641 with a Scat c20 cam and big valve CB heads. I also have a t25 turbo found in Audi A4s with the 1.8t engine. These things spool insanely fast and can produce up to 16lbs boost. Here is my question, since i have a 1641, is there any way i can modify my 4-1 header to be a hide away style turbo header. I know the CB hide away header is way too big tube wise for my engine. I have seen guys use a 4-1 header with an up pipe setup but never as a hidde away like i want too. I want the turbo hidden under the rear apron of my beetle and i want the deckild to close wothout standoffs. If it is possible to use the header the way I would like let me know, or if there is an affordable alternative in 1 3/8 tube let me know.

Thanks
Hunter
rubenski

Re: Custom hide away header

Post by rubenski »

I dont think so, maybe it can work if you move the turbo into the wheelwell.

Other option is to move it into the engine bay.
But it will get crowded verry fast and get pretty hot to.
Better to be blown than to suck!
buguy

Post by buguy »

There is no off the shelf 1 3/8" turbo header made. You would have to build one yourself or have one custom made. You could just use a regular header and buy a couple bends, but the header will most likely be in the way of where you want to put the turbo.
When I built mine a long time ago I cut up my regular header to have it end up the best I could, but building one from scratch would have been much better.
DerrickfromNC

Post by DerrickfromNC »

Here is an example of a standard 4 into 1 1-3/8” header used in a turbo application. You could place the turbo almost any place you can make it fit....just make sure it’s higher than the oil level in your sump to properly drain.

http://rescars.com/awesome-chopped-turb ... -for-sale/

A u-turn to the left of the pulley just below the distributor would be an option.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I think he is looking for a hideaway? I assumed it was blowthrough?
DerrickfromNC

Post by DerrickfromNC »

That is the only option in a 1-3/8” size that I’m aware of. He could use this header and position the turbo behind the apron or within the rear fender behind the wheel. I’ve seen both done.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I think under the apron area is pretty filled up with a regular header. Might be somewhere in there to fit one though.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Can you weld?
HunterS628

Post by HunterS628 »

My setup will be blowthrough since i am using a mexican EFI setup. Check out my build therad on the Speeduino forums: http://speeduino.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1682 My goal is to have a very similar setup to yours Chip. Im a pretty good welder and machinist, anthough i have no professional experience. I build or fabricate nearly every part I can to save cost and just to say I did. My goal is to have a decently powered engine with good economy and a clean engine bay! Lol. Id like to have the turbo hidden under the rear apron.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

If you are willing to spend a few bucks, I'd recommend the A1 hideaway like I have. I would bet Tiger could build it in 1.375 if you asked. Mine is 1.5, which isn't real big anyway.
Otherwise, you might have to just build one on your own. I'm preparing to do one for myself next winter, I have everything but the tube at this point. I need to test a few things this year before I do the new build. I'm excited to have a go at it, and look forward to having something built exactly how I wanted it.
Lukas49

Post by Lukas49 »

you can do it like this guy, from 4-1 header but modified in home, he has it on 1776 or 1835

HunterS628

Post by HunterS628 »

That is what Im looking for! Ill see what I can make work. I just needed a picture to visualize it!
Thanks Lukas.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Just keep in mind that system is 100% scratch built. A pre-made header won't be in that location. I'm not saying you can't fit a turbo up in there, just know you will most likely have to make some sacrifices. Seems like when I had a regular header on my car it took up most of the room under there.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I wonder if a Type 3 header would fit a Type 1? Seems like there would be more room with one of those.
http://www.mooreparts.com/empi-3661-7-b ... uIQAvD_BwE
HunterS628

Post by HunterS628 »

I do understand that that is scratch built header. And im not afraid to do that. What i may try doing is chopping up the header I already have and move the pipes to a configuration similar to that. The header i have isnt a typical empi header. It is very shallow compared to the empi header I also have. It already resembles the scratch built turbo header you posted.