Custom hide away header

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Re: Custom hide away header

Post by buguy »

Worth a shot.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

buguy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:29 pm I wonder if a Type 3 header would fit a Type 1? Seems like there would be more room with one ...
Not a chance, even not made by lowest bidder it is too wide and too far back (clears blower shroud).
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I went out and looked at my bug and saw there was no way.
DerrickfromNC

Post by DerrickfromNC »

Here is an exhaust system that could easily be modified into a turbo header:

http://www.mofoco.com/item/EMPI_3300_EC ... M/3153/c55
buguy

Post by buguy »

I was looking at those. I guess if you can cut the glass pack apart and taper it to a flange size it might work. Most guys want to place the turbo where all the tubes are wadded up there.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

That econo header design has been offered since the 36hp days, it is an unequal length design with the muffler of near 3" od. The only one I have used a long tapper cone reducer to make it 2.5" 3-bolt domestic flange and fed it into common v-8 mufflers, it was nice to use easy to source parts and doesn't hang down (departure angle) like most.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
semipixel

Post by semipixel »

I chopped up an old 1 3/8 header to make this which seems to be similar to what you're trying to do:

kaferboy1

Post by kaferboy1 »

What header brand/model was this that you started from? I am needing to modify an exhaust to work with a 36hp turbo build and have been looking for something to start from.
semipixel wrote:I chopped up an old 1 3/8 header to make this which seems to be similar to what you're trying to do:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

semipixel

Post by semipixel »

I used one of these as my start: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... e=C13-3100

And I bought v-band flanges to go from it to the j-tubes, but that's personal preference.
kaferboy1 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:09 am What header brand/model was this that you started from? I am needing to modify an exhaust to work with a 36hp turbo build and have been looking for something to start from.
semipixel wrote:I chopped up an old 1 3/8 header to make this which seems to be similar to what you're trying to do:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I have a ton of vband parts just sitting around waiting for a new header to be built. Might cut the flanges off my A1 header and swap to the bands. So much nicer to work with.