Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.

Moderator: seabeebuggy

User avatar
kangaboy
Posts: 836
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:01 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

Post by kangaboy » Wed May 23, 2018 3:10 pm

Anyone have a preference and reasoning?

I can run an electronic boost control with MS3X, but I'm concerned about keeping the solenoid in a cool enough environment to operate for max longevity. DIYAutotune sells a boost control solenoid but recommends keeping it under 125°F. I don't know if my engine bay stays that cool all the time, and I don't know if I like the thought of several extra feet of vacuum line to route it in the cabin or elsewhere. Thoughts?
Should I just go with a manual controller? My Wastegate came with springs to get me up to 10lbs.
'74 Standard- 1776T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build

User avatar
buguy
Posts: 1605
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Port Orange, FL

Re: Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

Post by buguy » Wed May 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Interesting question. I was reading up on aftermarket electronic boost controllers a while back and it seems they don't hold boost as well as a manual. Never used MS myself so I have no clue.

User avatar
Volky
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:39 pm
Location: A very hot Island with killer BUGS!!!

Re: Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

Post by Volky » Wed May 23, 2018 4:25 pm

Kangaboy,

I run an EBC behind the fan shroud on the left side and never had a problem. My WG spring is 8psi but I'm actually running 15psi for the moment. They're fun to program on MS-II.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.

User avatar
Chip Birks
Posts: 2981
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:59 pm
Location: Pleasant Grove, Utah

Re: Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

Post by Chip Birks » Wed May 23, 2018 5:39 pm

kangaboy wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:10 pm
Anyone have a preference and reasoning?

I can run an electronic boost control with MS3X, but I'm concerned about keeping the solenoid in a cool enough environment to operate for max longevity. DIYAutotune sells a boost control solenoid but recommends keeping it under 125°F. I don't know if my engine bay stays that cool all the time, and I don't know if I like the thought of several extra feet of vacuum line to route it in the cabin or elsewhere. Thoughts?
Should I just go with a manual controller? My Wastegate came with springs to get me up to 10lbs.
I run mine in my fender well. Never had a problem. Where is your ecu? Inside the cabin?

User avatar
kangaboy
Posts: 836
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:01 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

Post by kangaboy » Wed May 23, 2018 10:19 pm

Chip Birks wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:39 pm
kangaboy wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:10 pm
Anyone have a preference and reasoning?

I can run an electronic boost control with MS3X, but I'm concerned about keeping the solenoid in a cool enough environment to operate for max longevity. DIYAutotune sells a boost control solenoid but recommends keeping it under 125°F. I don't know if my engine bay stays that cool all the time, and I don't know if I like the thought of several extra feet of vacuum line to route it in the cabin or elsewhere. Thoughts?
Should I just go with a manual controller? My Wastegate came with springs to get me up to 10lbs.
I run mine in my fender well. Never had a problem. Where is your ecu? Inside the cabin?
Mine ECU is under the rear driver side seat. I could do it under the wheel well I guess...could also do it on the back side of the fan shroud. Should be enough turbulence there that it stays cool enough.
'74 Standard- 1776T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build

User avatar
Chip Birks
Posts: 2981
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:59 pm
Location: Pleasant Grove, Utah

Re: Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

Post by Chip Birks » Wed May 23, 2018 11:04 pm

You are willing to give the map sensor a 6 foot hose, it won't kill the ebc if the length is similar. Run decent diameter hose and you should be fine. I bet mine is close to 1/4" ID.

User avatar
kangaboy
Posts: 836
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:01 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

Post by kangaboy » Thu May 24, 2018 9:06 am

Chip Birks wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:04 pm
You are willing to give the map sensor a 6 foot hose, it won't kill the ebc if the length is similar. Run decent diameter hose and you should be fine. I bet mine is close to 1/4" ID.
Yeah that was my only though process on that. I didn't know if the extra length of tubing would mess with any of the vac/boost signals going to the boost solenoid. I'll just mount is somewhere safe that wont get too hot and get a decent amount of tubing.
Figured it was better to spend $60 on the DIYAutotune solenoid and have EBC instead of the $60 manual ones I see floating around. Will be more fun to have it wired into the MS anyway.
'74 Standard- 1776T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build

bug66
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:26 am

Re: Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

Post by bug66 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:41 am

I have mine mounted on the gearbox mount. In cool air. No problem.
---

2165cc T3/T4 turbo, DTA S60 on E85.

Boost was created only to make people smile, and make power! 8)

10.626 @ 132mph SCC2016
10.407 @ 134mph SCC2017
10.221 @ 135mph SCC2018

Clonebug
Posts: 3396
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:28 am

Re: Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

Post by Clonebug » Thu May 24, 2018 10:59 pm

Why would it be hot in the engine compartment when the fan is always drawing in fresh cooling air????

I have my EBC mounted where the original coil was and have never had a problem.......even in 104 degree ambient air temps.

The only downside with having an EBC is you have to have a computer with you in order to change boost levels.

I recommend installing a switch that cuts the ECU ground signal to the EBC so that if per chance you need to limit your boost you can make it run off wastegate spring pressure.
Make sure that level is a fail safe level that can be run in any temperature and driving condition.

For Ex.

I have a 6.0 lb. spring in my stock Subaru turbo wastegate. When I turn off the switch on the dash I can cut my boost level to 6.0 lbs and also a second switch will deactivate the W/I for driving in any condition along with allowing anyone to drive it at that boost level without them getting into trouble.

If you have MS3 you can then install a multi position switch with a different boost level set for each position.
Mario had something posted on that a few years ago that he made up......it was pretty nice.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.

User avatar
Chip Birks
Posts: 2981
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:59 pm
Location: Pleasant Grove, Utah

Re: Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

Post by Chip Birks » Fri May 25, 2018 12:35 am

Clonebug wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:59 pm
Why would it be hot in the engine compartment when the fan is always drawing in fresh cooling air????

I have my EBC mounted where the original coil was and have never had a problem.......even in 104 degree ambient air temps.

The only downside with having an EBC is you have to have a computer with you in order to change boost levels.

I recommend installing a switch that cuts the ECU ground signal to the EBC so that if per chance you need to limit your boost you can make it run off wastegate spring pressure.
Make sure that level is a fail safe level that can be run in any temperature and driving condition.

For Ex.

I have a 6.0 lb. spring in my stock Subaru turbo wastegate. When I turn off the switch on the dash I can cut my boost level to 6.0 lbs and also a second switch will deactivate the W/I for driving in any condition along with allowing anyone to drive it at that boost level without them getting into trouble.

If you have MS3 you can then install a multi position switch with a different boost level set for each position.
Mario had something posted on that a few years ago that he made up......it was pretty nice.
How nice it would be to not have an engine compartment :wink:
I have a 5 position switch installed, and can toggle between gate pressure to higher than I want to go from the dash. It even looks mostly stock when mounted in the dash.

https://youtu.be/7OtVRyJWr6s

User avatar
buguy
Posts: 1605
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Port Orange, FL

Re: Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

Post by buguy » Fri May 25, 2018 6:01 am

That's awesome!

User avatar
Chip Birks
Posts: 2981
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:59 pm
Location: Pleasant Grove, Utah

Re: Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

Post by Chip Birks » Fri May 25, 2018 7:20 am

Thanks! It turned out a little cooler than that video shows. I'll have to see if i can find a photo of it totally finished.

User avatar
buguy
Posts: 1605
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Port Orange, FL

Re: Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

Post by buguy » Sat May 26, 2018 7:31 am

Yeah I'd love to see the end result!

User avatar
kangaboy
Posts: 836
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:01 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

Post by kangaboy » Sat May 26, 2018 4:11 pm

Yeah thats slick as hell. You have it wired to the MS then? Curious what the wiring diagram looks like...
'74 Standard- 1776T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build

User avatar
rubenski
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:28 am

Re: Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

Post by rubenski » Sat May 26, 2018 4:22 pm

I ordered a ebc for my gen4 too. Currious to see how it will work!
Better to be blown than to suck!

Post Reply