Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Chip Birks

Re: Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

Post by Chip Birks »

This is the finished product. Forgive the bad paint match, its closer to whats on the outside of the car. Better than black though. Can you tell which is the new switch?Image
I ended up making a "lens" in the trim. Cut a slot with a dremel, then laid tape over it to hold its form, then filled it with epoxy. Once cured, I pulled off the tape and thats what you see there. I took a video and will add that shortly.

As far as the wiring goes. The switch is a 5 position rotary thing from Radioshack. It has 2 poles, and that essentially means that it can do two different functions for each switch point. I have resistors wired in series across one set of contacts, this is what will allow me to connect to an analog input on the ecu. I feed it 5v and it divides the 5 volts by the amount of resistors in line. That what tells the ecu what setting. So three wires go to the computer. 5v, signal ground, and the analog ecu pin you are connected too. The leds are wired to the switch, i think i am using the same 5v supply, and then running that through a 20mA regulator thingy and then to the power pole on the switch. From there I ran a wire from each of the 5 switched poles to the anode on each LED, and then connected all of the grounds together and sent those somewhere. Maybe I was smart and used 12v for the LEDs, but 5 years ago, I wasn't smart, just lucky. The gauge is my afr and has nothing to do with the switch. Just there cuz I don't like round gauge pods all over the place.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Thats incredably subtle! WTG Chip!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Thanks Wally! Its actually on the list to be replaced by something a little cooler. I'm going to get rid of the wideband controlling that gauge eventually. I've got another display I'll use to hopefully show the average afr. Gonna take some different wiring, and thats a project for another season. Here's a quick video to show the finished product as it looks now.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/SLR9MsNHZIw[/BBvideo]
buguy

Post by buguy »

I love it!
64 sunroof

Post by 64 sunroof »

I run the DIY autotune solinoid and it has worked great for ~4 years so far in a quite hot engine bay on my drag car, I also have something similar to Chip on my drag car a AEM 12 point switch using the instructions here : https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywik ... al-a-boost

It works really well 0 is about wastegate (about a psi above which means that you get resolution across the switch rather than only the last few numbers) and 11 is about 30 psi
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

I'm bringing this thread back to the top because I need a little help building a boost switch.

EDIT: I edited the picture just to include the correct one that Chip set me up with. Looking forward to getting this wired up this weekend. I'll keep this post updated. Thanks Chip!

These ok for resistors?

'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Where do I get 5v from on a MS3x? Can I just use any of the unused 5v outputs on the main board or the expansion board?
2084 Turbo Build
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

The tpsvref 5v going to the tps is a good spot I would think. Pin 26.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

So I can just splice that?
2084 Turbo Build
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

kangaboy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:22 pm So I can just splice that?
I don't see why not.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Chip Birks wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:47 pm So three wires go to the computer. 5v, signal ground, and the analog ecu pin you are connected too.
So I initially planned on using the Nitrous 1 Output for my signal wire, but realized that prolly wouldn't work...because its an output, and I want the MS to read that signal from the switch, not send it. With that said, I currently have my signal ground back to the MS, 5v from the tpsvref, and then I need to use one of the input pins from the MS3X (Pin 21, 22 or 23) to read the voltage based on the amount of resistors switched to...correct?
Then I can just go into Tuner Studio and adjust the input to whatever pin I used?
2084 Turbo Build
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Needs to be one of the 3 spare analog inputs you have. Can't remember the ms3x names though....
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Sweet, thanks for confirming.
FYI for anyone else curious, the inputs are:
Spare ADC
EGO2
EXT_MAP
2084 Turbo Build