Draw through Baja build

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Maddward

Draw through Baja build

Post by Maddward »

Well I finall finished up my baja draw through setup and now have some time to post. I lurk and read here daily and have gained so much knowledge off everybody on STF I figured I have contribute back. And I hope this does.
(sorry but pics are somewhat out of order and duplicated so match them up yourself haha)

It started out N/A and way undercarbed with some Weber 34ICT's. The engine ran good before but, as it always goes, I want more :)
Video is pre-turbo https://youtu.be/NWNyUav5-JU

I've had a carbon sealed AiResearch T3 50 trim in my garage for the last 5 years and decided to finally use it on this car. The Engine is a 94x69 with a W120 cam, 40x35 heads, 1.1 rockers on solid shafts, and 8.8:1 compression. The transmission is a 002 built by transaxle engineering with weddle internals. 3x3 arms, 930 cv's and 300m axles. I'm running charlynn powersteering too.

This is the engine before I started
Baja 9.jpg
Baja 10.jpg
So I started by taking off the exhaust to measure cylinders 1&4 top exhaust stud to stud and gave the measurement to CarCraft for my header. Mine was 19 3/4". CarCraft actually had a coated one in stock my size so I bought it. The fit was pretty good but i did have to open up the flange holes on cylinder #2 about .020" so it slid on easy.
Baja 11.jpg
Then I bought 2 weber sidedrafts, a 45dcoe and a 48spo/2, Rajay turbo, heated manifold, and intake manifold off craigslist. I wanted the 45dcoe and manifolds so I went through the 48 and sold it on the Samba, and the Rajay had just been rebuilt so I sold that on the Samba too. Funny is that I actually made $50 on the deal and kept what I wanted. To get it up and running I rebuilt the carb and set it up as follows thanks to help from Madmike!
30mm vents, 50F8 idle jets, 180 main jets(biggest I had to start with and now 160's) 170 airs, F16 E-tubes, 250 needle,0 exhaust jet, and 45 pump jets drilled out to 70's.
For ignition I just drilled and tapped a 6-32 thread in the weight stop on a spare 009 I had in the garage. I was able to adjust the screw to get my timing to 10 deg at idle and 24 deg full advance. This is just a starting point and I'm sure I'll be tweaking this later.
Baja 24.jpg
For the turbo oil feed I bought a 1/8npt to 3an fitting with a .065" through hole and put it in a brass T fitting where the oil pressure outlet goes. I'm using a 3/8npt to 1/2 ID barb fitting to drain into a fuel pump block off plate I had. It drains pretty good.
I'm using a 38mm turbosmart wastegate with a 7lb spring and I bought from CB Performance. I also bought a cnc'd top and check valve from pacific customs to make my holley 12-804 regulator boost referenced. I know it's not needed per say but I read and was told that the float bowl in the sidedraft can empty pretty fast at WOT so this will help fill it faster while under boost.

I bought a 5 bolt and wastegate flange from ATP turbo and fabbed my own exhaust. Then coated it with VHT flameproof in the can and baked it as the directions said too. It looks pretty good actually, but not as good as the header! I plumbed my full flow oil lines through the manifold and hooked up my old AEM failsafe wideband. I buttoned it all up last Saturday and this is how she sits now.
Baja 28.jpg
And here is a video of it idling and a quick 1st-3rd gear pull. I'm getting a full 7psi of boost but still need to come down a little on the mains I think. I saw 9.8:1 to low 10's on the gauge. What do you guys think my target WOT afr should be? I always shoot for 12.7:1 on a NA engine but this turbo is a new ballgame for me. Please excuse the shaky video and duplicate picture posts???
https://youtu.be/lx7TSqh7ODE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rubenski

Re: Draw through Baja build

Post by rubenski »

Verry nice!
Better to be blown than to suck!
madmike

Post by madmike »

Like I said Glad to Help :wink: :lol: ,Madmike
petew

Post by petew »

Sweet setup. Never ceases to amaze me how you get away with an open exhaust and the like with street rego, but good on ya!

Re AFRs, 12.7 is not bad, but you should run a little lower. I go from 12.3 to 11.5 at on 14psi boost. I watched the vid inside the car. It's running WAY rich on boost. Ie. below nines.
Maddward

Post by Maddward »

Thanks!!
In California since it’s a ‘59 it doesn’t get inspected or smogged so I can get by without a muffler. I’m sure there’s a law that I need one but it’s way quieter than Harley Davidsons that run around here so I tell myself I’m ok haha
Thanks for the AFR suggestions!, the video is with a set of 160 main jets I have. I figured I should work my way from rich to lean to be safe. I do have some more jets coming in the mail in the next couple days so I’l start bringing that down.
petew

Post by petew »

Maddward wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:16 am Thanks!!
In California since it’s a ‘59 it doesn’t get inspected or smogged so I can get by without a muffler. I’m sure there’s a law that I need one but it’s way quieter than Harley Davidsons that run around here so I tell myself I’m ok haha
Thanks for the AFR suggestions!, the video is with a set of 160 main jets I have. I figured I should work my way from rich to lean to be safe. I do have some more jets coming in the mail in the next couple days so I’l start bringing that down.
Don't get me started on Hardly Ablesons... Grrr. There's a double standard I hate. :evil:
buguy

Post by buguy »

My neighbor has a Boss Hoss motorcycle with a 502 big block and open headers. He gets around with no trouble so I figure I'm ok with my veedub!
Maddward

Post by Maddward »

Little update..
Now that the excitement of the new turbo has worn off I started to work on the tuning. The car had a huge bog off idle if I mashed the gas from a stop. I had to feather it at take off for it to drive smooth. Especially on the street. In the desert with wheel spin on take off, it's not as bad but is still there. So with some research i figured out a few things about my 45 dcoe 13. It only has 2 progression holes and no small holes in the butterflies (I don't know if holes drilled were ever factory in dcoe's?) that i've seen in a few pictures. I havent drilled any additional progression holes yet but I have fixed the off idle bog and wanted to share what I did. I drilled the accelerator nozzles out to 1/32" or .80mm and I also filed the flats on the nozzles so i could aim them towards the center of the manifold/turbo more. The fuel was squirting straight at the walls of the manifold before and now they shoot straight at the compressor wheel.

Now all i need to work on is the rich afr on cruise. It loads up after a steady drive. Right now it's around 11.0:1
I currently have 30 vents, 55f9 idle jets, 140 mains, 170 airs, and F16 emulsions. I'm going to try one F11 emulsion and one F16 next.
Thanks to some help from Madmike I know people use different combos of jets/emulsions in each barrel to get it right. But has anyone used two different sized venturies in the same carb before? I'm interested if this could help with tuning idle/cruise with a smaller vent on one side and then WOT with a larger on the other?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can message me too if you don't wan't your secrets out in public :wink:

Red line is before green is after
Krochus

Post by Krochus »

One of the best things you can do is make a charge pipe and blow through those Weber’s if you still have them.

I tried several iterations of draw through and tuned on it every way to Sunday. You can get a decent AFR or you can get decent drivability. You can NEVER have both

It’s either pig rich and no bog or deal with the bog and get low double digit mpg
madmike

Post by madmike »

try 15lbs with the blow thru :lol: he only has 34 ICT's :roll:
one of the reasons I picked up a 4 barrel set up,, although I do
still have the DOCE on my 1915 Buggy :lol: inexpensive way to go :wink:
madmike

Post by madmike »

Found my note's on my 1915 semi-cut Heads with the 45 doce and some weirdass 'Turbo'cam :roll:
.300 needle & seat modified the opening too
55 idle's
F11
F7 yes you can mix :wink:
180 mains
155 & 200 airs
vents are 30mm I think :lol: next warm day I'll pull the tarp and see :roll: :lol:
Maddward

Post by Maddward »

I sold those Webers and they were only 34 ICT’s
Thanks Mike for the notes! I have everything in your carb except for the F7. I’ll do some more driving around tomorrow and check the AFRs.
Krochus

Post by Krochus »

Op what is your ignition timing like? You might be barking up the wrong tree with regard to a lot of your off idle issues.
Maddward

Post by Maddward »

As of now I limited my 009 to 10 degrees of advance total. Idling at 14 and maxing out at 24. I’m waiting for CB Performance’s next sale and I’m going to buy their black box so I can run more timing at cruise, rev limiter, and boost retard. This might help solve my rich cruise problem actually now that I think about it?
buguy

Post by buguy »

I think better ignition control will help alot.
Ive never messed with a side draft. Personally I like the Holley for simplicity and ease of getting parts locally. Idle is usually fine, set mains for cruise, and on my main carb i drilled and tapped the power valve so i could put a jet in for WOT. I can change the power valve itself to tune for when it opens. It simple but still a lot of work to get it right.
When I spoke with Dave Kawell, he said he uses nothing but the side draft.