How to tune Water Injection

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Re: How to tune Water Injection

Post by buguy »

Glad you got it. That would scare the crap out of me hearing that ping!
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Yeah not good. Its an horrible sound. Its the sound of a wallet emptying all its cash. lol.
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

I've got a direct port water nozzle kit fitted to my manifold's. So 1 nozzle per cylinder. thing is I cant use it due to vacuum sucking the water out on over run. The devils own non return valves are £43 each so £166 for 4. They are set to hold back vac of 16psi. There must be must be a cheaper option out there. anyone no were to get them from.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Get a N/C 12 volt by 1/4 NPT solenoid and wire it to open when the pump kicks on....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Inch-Norma ... 8264!US!-1

Being that you are in the UK you might need to find on there since your pipe threads are different.

I run two Hobbs switches and two solenoids to keep my water from getting sucked in.
Your other choice is to move the nozzles above the carbs so they don't see vacuum.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

water adds cooling but it also adds boost. Water vapors expand very fast. You want to tune the engine to not ping without water. More fuel, more octane, less timing, whatever combo it takes. When you have that, you add water until you feel a power loss. Back it down until you don't. use water to be an extra safety measure and not to cover up problems. You can add meth or Alki if you like. Water over a good tune works great. My engine is 13 or so years old now and its still going strong. I have rebuilt it before the water tuning due to detonation. If your racing and going for max power then I don't know how to help you there.
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

GARRICK.CLARK wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:56 pm I've got a direct port water nozzle kit fitted to my manifold's. So 1 nozzle per cylinder. thing is I cant use it due to vacuum sucking the water out on over run. The devils own non return valves are £43 each so £166 for 4. They are set to hold back vac of 16psi. There must be must be a cheaper option out there. anyone no were to get them from.
Pretty sure Devils Own offer a solenoid for around £40. That should stop you drawing water under vacuum.
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I bought solenoids off Ebay for $25.00 U.S.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

Tuning water injection is fairly straight forward. Aim for using only enough to suppress the knock.

I use about about 30% meth to water ratio.

Keep in mind if you already tuned your fuel map prior to adding the meth/water mix you will run richer when spraying.
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Yes thanks guys. Dan so to stop the water getting sucked out the 4 nozzles, 1 per cylinder I'd need 4 solenoids . 70 quid each is too much for me, thanks for the input thou .
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

GARRICK.CLARK wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:49 am Yes thanks guys. Dan so to stop the water getting sucked out the 4 nozzles, 1 per cylinder I'd need 4 solenoids . 70 quid each is too much for me, thanks for the input thou .
No, just the one solenoid is needed. You can fit it before the branching tee to the 4 ports
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

I was thinking the same thing!
Better to be blown than to suck!
madmike

Post by madmike »

With this cheapass preimeum fuel we have now days I'm thinking about this cuz race fuel isn't cheap :lol:
can this be done to a 'Drawthru?"
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

ok ,1 solenoid I can handle. So i already have the 4 nozzles fitted to the manifolds. The 4 branch is in the middle of the engine near the top pulley,the water pipes from the 4 branch to the nozzles are say 14 inches or so each. wont the vac pull the water out of each pipe up to the solenoid. Is this an issue.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Its kinda like sucking on a straw with a finger on the end. How much of the water can you get out? Especially if you can't collapse it.