Turbo Location

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Bad Bob

Turbo Location

Post by Bad Bob »

I'm mocking up the locations for my engine and the pipes, hoses, wires to see how it will fit. When this engine was in my 65, I ran an electric scavenge pump to return oil from the turbo. A deep sump would be less complex if it will drain ok.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=21734

This still leaves the turbo in the way of full flow oil lines, the air inlet is really tight getting around the pulley to the filter, etc. I'm thinking of relocating the turbo to just above the trans( my package tray is gone).

The oil cooler and fan housing inlet will get ducts from down by the torsion housing. Anybody ever put a turbo up there or see issues? I measured the height of the bends and a collector and it looks like it might fit.download/file.php?mode=view&id=21736
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chip Birks

Re: Turbo Location

Post by Chip Birks »

What header do you currently have? Over the trans has been done. More of a race car thing, but has been done on the street. You'll want to tin the area off later, or deal with the crazy heat of the turbo in the passenger compartment.
66brm

Post by 66brm »

You don't recognise it chip?..
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I mean, it sure looks familiar, but I was able to make mine work. Unless there is just a lot more turbo there than I have, it should be figure-out-able.
Bad Bob

Post by Bad Bob »

The header was made by Marty Staggs. I don't know what the turbo is, but its on the small end. It was built for the 50 mile a day commute. Down the mountain, hop on the I-10, down another canyon and reverse in the evening. 2-3000 rpm normal cruising. I even changed the .63 exhaust housing to a .48. Head temps went up a little, but it got rid of the lag. The wastegate was scraping the pavement occasionally, so Marty made an extension to make it clear. My other ( What Is It?) post has more pics of the turbo.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/download/ ... 2f7237953f
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Bad Bob wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:44 am The header was made by Marty Staggs. I don't know what the turbo is, but its on the small end. It was built for the 50 mile a day commute. Down the mountain, hop on the I-10, down another canyon and reverse in the evening. 2-3000 rpm normal cruising. I even changed the .63 exhaust housing to a .48. Head temps went up a little, but it got rid of the lag. The wastegate was scraping the pavement occasionally, so Marty made an extension to make it clear. My other ( What Is It?) post has more pics of the turbo.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/download/ ... 2f7237953f
That does look tricky to work with. Mine is the A1 unit, turbo is a little further back and right. Probably helps with clearance. Cut that sucker apart and build something better.
Bad Bob

Post by Bad Bob »

We've all been there. Bloody knuckles. You cant quite reach it. You know better than to ask your wife to hold it right there, while you try to put the screws in from the other side. I needed better access.

This time, I put in the Weber windows, the removable apron and moved the firewall forward to where the rear seat back is and put a removable panel in it. I'm retired now, so it's not really a daily driver. More of a grocery getter or parts runner. I think getting the turbo up over the trans will ease the crowding of where it is now. I'm going to need to make a lot of ducts to keep the hot air from getting the fan , air cleaner and oil cooler. Does anybody have pics of their over-the-trans header? http://www.shoptalkforums.com/download/ ... w&id=21739
Bad Bob

Post by Bad Bob »

Chip, I’d hate to cut up a good header. As it’s ceramic coated, getting it clean enough to weld would suck. I’m thinking of making another one out of 304 stainless. I’ve been looking at the Columbia tube website. Any other good places for header materials.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

http://www.allpurposepipes.com/ is another source for stainless bends. I'll be building a new one in the future as well, and will probably get most of my supply from them.
Last edited by Chip Birks on Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I bought some of my stuff here and they were great to deal with.
https://www.kartek.com/parts-categories ... dware.html
bug66

Post by bug66 »

Chip Birks wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:47 pm http://www.allpurposepipes.com/ is another source for stainless bends. I'll be building a new one in the future as well, and will probably get most of my supply from them.
«A1 style»? Please make a post about it! I think that a new header is next winters plan. I didn’t like the pictures in your link.. The 90s looks way off?
---

2165cc on a Borg Warner S257 SXE, DTA S60 on E85.

Boost was created only to make people smile, and make power! 8)

10.626 @ 132mph SCC2016
10.407 @ 134mph SCC2017
10.221 @ 135mph SCC2018
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

bug66 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:40 pm
Chip Birks wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:47 pm http://www.allpurposepipes.com/ is another source for stainless bends. I'll be building a new one in the future as well, and will probably get most of my supply from them.
«A1 style»? Please make a post about it! I think that a new header is next winters plan. I didn’t like the pictures in your link.. The 90s looks way off?
I won't be going A1 style next time. I agree, their photos look pretty bad, I might have to order a few to sample.
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

Looks like it doubles as an oil preheater.
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

Allpurposepipes.com looks just like siliconeintakes.com, frozenboost.com and maybe another 😊
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Anfittingsdirect.com too