Yet Another Supercharging Query

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
kuseetha

Yet Another Supercharging Query

Post by kuseetha »

Dear friends/experts,

I have a 1972 air cooled bug with 1200cc engine (D-0986163). It was re-built to spec about 9 years ago and has put about 15000 miles since then. About 700 miles ago I did a compression test and all 4 had even compression. This is only driven occasionally.
The idea of supercharging is an interesting idea and having seen many setups, I too would love to have one. I do not intend to do crazy things like spin wheels or burnouts, just need some power to run well without compromising reliability and/or longevity of powertrain. Also the feel good factor is something that cannot be discounted ;)
I do not wish to take the engine apart. Therefore my wishlist is as follows:
1. Get AMR 500 blower and route it with serpentine or toothed belt (This is within my ability to do)
2. Install 1.25 ratio rockers with shafts (This is also within my ability to do)

Now here are the questions:
3. Will the factory oil cooler do the job well? If not, what are the alternatives?
4. If (a big If) I could use the Solex carby, would this need re-jetting? (to compensate the higher CFM and not to run it lean?)
5. I read this blower gives 500cc per revolution. How to actually calculate the CFM and boost? And select the correct pulley ratio?
6, Any other relevant advise please?

Thank you
petew

Re: Yet Another Supercharging Query

Post by petew »

Hi Kuseetha, nice to have you on the STFFI.

In answer your questions...
1. The AMR500 is probably a little large for a 1200 unless you're building a really crazy blown engine. If you look up YouTube "VW amr300" or "aisin 300" you'll find a bunch of vids with really appreciate nice AMR300 setups on 1200 motors.
2. Thse ratio rockers would work fine, just remember you'll need different length pushrods for them.

3. Probably, but an extra cooler is cheap insurance.
4 . yes

Look up the dubshop blower setups. Heck, maybe even email Mario and ask him directly.
kuseetha

Post by kuseetha »

Thanks heaps Pete. I assume Mario is the dubshop owner.

Now since that is sorted, I am making a shop list that includes
1. Oil temperature sender and gauge (more horses -> more temps)
2. A/F ratio sender and gauge (lean protection)
3. Extra cooling methods (more to study)
4. Adjustable pressure relief valve for inlet manifold (backfire protection)
5. Brake upgrade (more to study)
6. Correct sized jets, belts and pulleys, supercharger and brackets/flanges

Hmm :roll: ...another financial disaster on the way...just slowly recovering from a Holden HQ project :|
petew

Post by petew »

Hi Kuseetha, are you in Australia? I'm in Sydney.
kuseetha

Post by kuseetha »

Ah, so you obviously know Holdens then. I am in Sri Lanka Pete. They are very rare here
petew

Post by petew »

Ok, wow.... no wonder it cost so much to restore!