turbocharger oil return line

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
lakis1982

turbocharger oil return line

Post by lakis1982 »

Hello,

i have built an wbx oxyboxer engine 2100cc turbo injection.. I have a question regarding the oil return line from the turbocharger towards the engine block ...I use a garrett dual ball bearing gt2860rs turbo...

In one of the attached picture you see the oil return output port on the turbo..

In another photo you see the block plate where I am planing to return the oil coming from turbocharger..my engine block is a wbx...

In the third photo you can see both of those ports together (the best possible photo I could get)

As you realise the turbocharger's oil output sits in a higher position than the height of the block plate which is good because of the height difference that allows a natural flow...however, what might be an issue is the fact that behind the block plate the engine block will be full of oil..so I assume that while the turbocharger will try to return oil to the engine, there will be some kind of resistance ( or not ?? ) because of the oil that sits behind the block off plate..and Im afraid if this will cause the turbocharger to start spiting oil...

Could you advise please?? Do you think I will have issues if I use that return location on the engine block?? Could you recommend an ideal location to return oil? The main problem is that the engine is closed and installed so I cannot drill new holes in convenient locations but only use existing holes of the engine block...I would not prefer to use pumps for returning he oil...

Thanks a lot in advance for your valuable help..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rubenski

Re: turbocharger oil return line

Post by rubenski »

Moqt guys return to the sump on their acvw, and that is full of oil too so i dont think its a problem.

But then again, maybe some more experienced guys can advise!
Better to be blown than to suck!
madmike

Post by madmike »

Deep sump would be better , you have one right? and do install the biggest line u have like a 5/8" or An 10
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

madmike wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:57 am Deep sump would be better , you have one right? and do install the biggest line u have like a 5/8" or An 10
Wbx don't naturally provide for a deep sump. One can be added, but it takes a significant amount of machine work to get there.

I've never returned that high, I return into my sump, but i return to the front side not the back. But, my turbo drain and sump sit very close to the same level. I do notice however, that you don't even have a fitting in place yet, that will cost you close to an inch in height I'd bet. There is a really good chance that you'll need a separate pump to get the oil back into the engine. This isn't uncommon with low mounted turbo builds.
lakis1982

Post by lakis1982 »

thanks for the feeddback..

Chip Birks as you said WBX does not have take external deep sump but it has by default a deeper sump compared to T1 engine blocks..

In the photos that you saw in previous post, i also plan to return in the front side of engine, not the back side.. I will put that fittings on the plate as i mentioned...But i can confirm that this plate sit in a lower height compared to the turbo's oil outlet even after i put the fittings...
I just want to know if it is a problem if the location where the oil return to the engine block (plate location) is below the oil level of the engine...

thanks
bug66

Post by bug66 »

With a dual ball bearing turbo, you want to restrict the oil feed right? Try to get as good of a straight shot to the block as possible. No long lines that bend and turn. If the inlet to the block is lower than the outlet of the turbo you should be fine. Use at least AN10
---

2165cc on a Borg Warner S257 SXE, DTA S60 on E85.

Boost was created only to make people smile, and make power! 8)

10.626 @ 132mph SCC2016
10.407 @ 134mph SCC2017
10.221 @ 135mph SCC2018
risk

Post by risk »

bug66 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:48 pm With a dual ball bearing turbo, you want to restrict the oil feed right?
Yes!

Restrictor is a must in the feed line. Do you have one lakis?

Too much oil pressure/volume on a ball bearing turbo will blow seals.

In my experience, drain height is not as critical on a ball bearing turbo with the correct restrictor in place. There is much less oil flow compared to a journal bearing turbo.
lakis1982

Post by lakis1982 »

Yes i have placed an oil restrictor in the oil inlet of the turbocharger it is like this one below

It is a AN3 to 1mm oil restrictor...

I am just asking because i am afraid of the fact that the oil returns to block below the oil level. And wondering if there is sufficient back pressure that will cause the oil to go back to the turbocharger instead of draining into the engine block..

THnaks alot
petew

Post by petew »

I can't see for sure from the pic, but my experience tells me two things..
1. Make sure the turbo clocked with the oil drain as as close to vertical as possible.
2. Have 2 iches, or 50mm of vertical drop in the drain line.

I needed both of those things to get my BB turbo to stop leaking oil into the inlet, and that was with a catch can and scavenge pump under it. In fact, I'd say, if in doubt just put the scavenge pump on and be done with it. All the Porsche turbo guys use tanks and scavenge pumps.
lakis1982

Post by lakis1982 »

Hello

Thanks for your answers.. I concluded that I will have to use a pump due to the fact that my total vertical drop is about 1 inch and I'm afraid that the slope will be too small..I don't want to risk it..

Could you propose any compact lightweight pump that would do the job??

Thanks a lot
petew

Post by petew »

http://www.sonicperformance.com.au/4050 ... lug/pd.php

Pricey and light.

https://www.ebay.com/p/12v-Electric-Oil ... 2159687344

Cheap and heavy. I went with this one. Total overkill but it works well.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

You might consider an autostick pump? If the WBX oil pump is interchangeable with a T1, it would be a direct bolt on, with built in external "scavenge" pump running whenever the engine is running. You can mix and match parts from the AS and T1 pump to use the auto outer section with new inner T1 pump. Hose connections can be re-tapped NPT for easy hose hook-up.
lakis1982

Post by lakis1982 »

I have already considered using an autostick pump because it is convenient and does not need electric supply.
But the problem is that it will interfere with the back side of the cranshaft pulley. Maybe if i used a small pulley it would be ok, but this would require changing also the fan with another diameter etc etc and this add much more workload. I have already have the engine fitted on the car.

Below is a schematic of how my hose goes from turbo outlet to engine case..
These is a slight increase in slope due to a part of the exhaust header being in between the turbocharger and the engine's location where oil returns.

THat is the reason i think i need an oil pump.
turbo_oil.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Volky

Post by Volky »

Lakis,

Although I have a Type 1 engine... looking at the pics, you can try to put the AN-10 hose towards the front of the car (left arrow) make a U-bend to the right, another bend towards the back of the car until you reach the right arrow.

My setup is similiar but my turbo sitssssssss low (cb header) but I have a sump. I don't have smoke issues at all.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Plumb it up and see if it works :roll: ,worst that can happen is fogging 'skeeters' :lol: