Clutch Upgrade with 20lbs of boost

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Chip Birks

Re: Clutch Upgrade with 20lbs of boost

Post by Chip Birks »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:58 pm Check the trans where the cross-shaft goes through for condition. I seem to remember some talk that the extra clutch-cover pressure can cause the shaft housing to crack/fail and/or the forks to fail so I'd keep an eye on it. All basic stuff to check before you get started anyway :wink: .

Lee
I agree with Lee here. Make sure you have one of the hd shafts in there. The forks are fully welded all the way around.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I have seen a trans with the forks folded back ("the clutch pedal suddenly got soft and I couldn't shift") and was told it was because of using a HD clutch cover (pressure plate [PP]). The discussion was a long time ago; it was when I was having a slipping clutch problem and had been given advice to convert to the 4-puck disc, which I did, but it was when were talking about which PP to use that this came up. I seem to remember that there was someone on STF that talked about clutch fork problems too... several years ago too. (I did a search but couldn't find the discussion directly but did find some discussion on shift forks in the trans forum. I'm thinking that the discussion may have been in the other VW site I used to go to which is now gone)

Lee
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I've had early forks break right off of the shaft. Sucks.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Are late model ('74) trans any stronger? Should I just plan on getting the HD fork before I put in the new clutch setup?
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

kangaboy wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:38 pm Are late model ('74) trans any stronger? Should I just plan on getting the HD fork before I put in the new clutch setup?
The t/o bearing setup is better for sure. But I'd still put in the heavy shaft. Cheap insurance.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

I think I will just wait till the end of this season and send the whole trans out. I know that with that new clutch and putting 20lbs of boost through the motor that something inside that thing will likely bust. Expensive Insurance :)
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

I use to go through cables and hooks yearly with a stage 1.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

seabeebuggy wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:56 pm I use to go through cables and hooks yearly with a stage 1.
Sounds like you had other problems. Never had a cable or hook go bad after 5 years with a stg 3. I did eventually break the tube out of the tunnel, but welded it back in and had no other problems. I did use a long transmission arm though, that helped the foot pressure thing a lot.
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

long arm is a different thing. The parts back then may have been bad. This all happened in the late 80's. The last time I drove my bug.
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

Stock German pressure plate with a tilton dual disc. Still using mine daily for the past 15 years. Very streetable with a soft clutch pedal and holds very well.