A1 Turbo Header Installation

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
CHAse580

A1 Turbo Header Installation

Post by CHAse580 »

For all those that are familiar, is there a specific order to bolt on the header? I have been wrestling with it for two hours but can only get #3 and #2 with #1 and #4 not lining up. Also there is some interference with the Berg 3.5qt sump leaving very little room to wiggle the header into place.
Chip Birks

Re: A1 Turbo Header Installation

Post by Chip Birks »

Solid mounts or stock? Mine doesn't have any issues with my berg 1.5qt sump. I'd assume the size is similar other than the height. I typically hang 1 and 3 first. Then connect the j tubes. Fights me a little but not bad. I had to trim a lot off of my solid mount to get it to work nicely.
CHAse580

Post by CHAse580 »

Berg 1.5 qt is 10.5" wide and the 3.5 qt is 15.5" wide. The mounts are stock style Delrin mounts (CB) with the stock cradle.

I'll try 1 & 3 tomorrow. I might have to trim 1, it seems too wide (long); it is only about a 1/4" off. The #4 tube is a PIA to get on because the wastegate and turbo flange are right there. I also may have to relocate the oil return as I put it right under #3 and that is where the pipes are interfering.

Do you put any Ultra Copper in the slip joints?

Thanks for help Chip.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Oh wow! Didn't realize it was so much different than mine. I drain into the sump towards the flywheel. I mighy have had to trim mine a bit too. I welded the slip joints after I had my size set. Once the main header is hanging there its pretty easy to slide #4 into place. 2 is simple.
CHAse580

Post by CHAse580 »

I ended up having to trim down the #1 tube by about 1/4 to 1/2" and it lined up. I loosened everything and bolted the 1 and 3 down then proceeded to bolt 2. I had alignment issues with 4, so I snug it to the had and used a jack to gently nudge it up while using a punch to line up the holes. I'll probably take it to a muffle shop to have it welded but for now I'm hoping the ultra copper in the slip joints will hold up.
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

CHAse580 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:38 am For all those that are familiar, is there a specific order to bolt on the header? I have been wrestling with it for two hours but can only get #3 and #2 with #1 and #4 not lining up. Also there is some interference with the Berg 3.5qt sump leaving very little room to wiggle the header into place.
That's a lot of oil.
CHAse580

Post by CHAse580 »

sidemarkers wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:27 am That's a lot of oil.
It is about five quarts to the low mark on the stock dip stick. I figured the extra capacity is great because I am running a stock cooler, turbo, external oil filter and Hoover mods.

If you look at my avatar, that is what happens when your engine is starved for oil.
madmike

Post by madmike »

with 4 coolers and a 1 1/2 qt sump I'm running 5qt's too,, use to run a berg 4qt sump and kept hitting rocks :roll:
CHAse580

Post by CHAse580 »

madmike wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:52 am with 4 coolers and a 1 1/2 qt sump I'm running 5qt's too,, use to run a berg 4qt sump and kept hitting rocks :roll:
I have an external Setrab too. With the sump the capacity of the engine (only) is six quarts. I buy the 5 quart container from wally world and add a ZDDP additive which brings it up to approximately 5.5 qts in the engine; I suppose if I didn't change out the oil filter and kept the old oil in it, it would make it 6 quarts.

Anywho, mine will be street and track driven with plenty of ground clearance. Not worried about those pesky rocks... just gotta watch out for pesky sink holes. :shock: