Old school turbo tech from my RT66 trip

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
petew

Old school turbo tech from my RT66 trip

Post by petew »

Just got home from 5 weeks on RT66 from LA to Chicago plus a great weekend in Indiana with a woodsbuggy owner. ;)

Had a fantastic time and went to more than a few car museums. Here's a few interesting turbo things I found...

Peterson Museum, LA.
To my delight I discovered the Peterson had a bunch of Porsche cars on display from Germany. Really excited. Including a Kremer (not strictly a Porsche) 935 and the Dakar winning 959, that hasn't been washed since it finished the race. A few interesting things here.

This car is a monster. Twin turbos and north of 700hp if memory serves me correctly. It had all it's turbo tackle exposed, so naturally I took some pics.

There are twin catch cans, one coming off each oil drain. From what I can see, the tiny hard line in the top, drains the right can into the left and the left can is attached to a scavenge pump.

However, by the time Porsche get the to 959 rally car, their drain setup changes to this...

Note, no catch cans, but dual scavenge pumps on each OHC. And here's a pic of the turbo too...

So, why they decided to do that is a bit of mystery to me. I know the 959 didn't run a lot of boost at Dakar, maybe the Kremer was running a lot more. I also don't know if the difference was BB vs Plain bearing turbos. But interesting none the less. P.s. notice the separate alternator (to the fan) on the 959 engine.

More soon...
Last edited by petew on Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rubenski

Re: Old school turbo tech from my RT66 trip

Post by rubenski »

Is it me or is there only 1 pic in your post?
Better to be blown than to suck!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Only one visible on my end
petew

Post by petew »

Dang, stf dropped half the pics. I'll fix it.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I found that if you "preview" then you can lose a lot of the pix (attachments) you have added.
petew

Post by petew »

Fixed! Try that. :)
petew

Post by petew »

The next exciting place we went along to with turbos was the Unser Racing Museum in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The place is chock full of cool old Indycars and Pikes Peak racers. You're allowed to wandered in and out around the cars, just not touch them. There were awesome cars all over the place, but here's a few that stood out to me...

2.5litre offy, DOHC 4 with this hairdryer hanging off it.

I assume this was running alcohol mechanical injection. It dates from the mid 60s. It won Indy against V8s. Amazing really. It struck me it didn't look that out of date compared to the modern stuff aside of the oldschool turbo. I also thought the turbo looked sort of small compared to some 4cyl turbo motors we have these days. I guess BB cassettes allow us to run much bigger turbos on the small motors without the lag. It's successor was this...

This thing is much more the 'bunch of bananas' F1 style exhaust and wastegate setup. Love to hear this thing run. Again, we'd run a larger turbo than this now. And this motor was the same size as the Offy!
madmike

Post by madmike »

Thanks for sharing Pete ,looks like you two had a great vacation 8)